SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    masks.. is it just me
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

masks.. is it just me Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

When making arguments for or against masks, substitute hand washing, and see how your arguments stand up then. Pretend, for instance, that Costco put a sign at the front door that said all customers must wash their hands before entering. Start your arguments from there. Argue that the soap irritates some people. Argue that washing too often weakens the immune system. Argue that washing is a burden. Argue that you know your hands are clean. But for the love of all things, STOP arguing against washing your hands because washing your hands is ineffective at keeping your hands from getting dirty, because that is NOT the point.

Unfair comparison.

Argue that instead of people washing their hands after using the restroom, that they wipe their hands on a paper or cloth towel, and then carry that towel around with them the rest of the day, touching it, touching door handles, touching shopping cart handles, etc.

Yeah. Like I said. This is NOT AN ARGUMENT FOR OR AGAINST WEARING MASKS.

Simply start from the premise that masks are not intended to protect the wearer, that the use of masks is, for the sake of argument, similar to other issues of hygiene.

You guys can argue the relative merits of the comparisons, the efficacy, and the outcome. None of that is my concern.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Here, I even thought of a better way to handle this.

Just start every argument with this phrase: "[Even though/Although/Despite] non-medical face masks are not intended to protect the wearer..."

That narrows and clarifies that ya'all are arguing at least in the same lane of reasoning.

For example:

"Despite non-medical face masks are not intended to protect the wearer, people should still wear masks at Costco so that they do not sneeze their germs all over other people's shopping carts."

or

"Even though non-medical face masks are not intended to protect the wearer, people wearing masks are making it worse for others because they end up touching their filthy masks and then touch shopping carts."

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
k, Alyssa Milano at it again:

She might consider seatbelts.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I had to go to Walmart today.

As I approached the door, a Walmart-appointed scold says “Excuse me, do you have a mask?” I said “Nope“ and walked right past her. She yells “You can’t go in the store without a mask!”

Watch me. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I don't get are the idiots driving by themselves. One person in the car the driver only, with the mask on.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

When making arguments for or against masks, substitute hand washing, and see how your arguments stand up then....

OK. I'll play.

Wash my hands, walk in the store with clean hands. Touch something/anything, but I have clean hands, so I don't leave any of my cooties on anything, because, well you know, I washed my fucking hands!

Oh, but wait, I pick up all sort of unseen cooties from other people, and because I am not washing my goddamn monkey paws every mutherfucking second or before I put my dick beaters on anything/everything I may come in contact as I work my way through petri-dish-store-du-jour, it really does not matter.

No matter what anyone does to try and convince me that I am Typhoid Monkey, I realize that this planet and all of nature is in an eternal struggle for any and all life forms to try and get to the top to survive.

We, humans, have been and will always battle some contagion, virus, bacterium, or shit we cook up ourselves, not to forget the passing earth-killer-from-space or who knows what threat to our existence.

We should choose to live life with meaning and contribution, no matter if we live beyond today.

For so many to sit, fearful and clutching at the "future" we may never have, wasting the today and yesterdays because they may be our last, is fruitless, and the utmost selfish act of people who are unwilling to face the harsh reality that life includes the possibility of cold, heartless a miserable death.

Frankly, I am ashamed of many of my fellow inhabitants on Starship Earth, and the journey.

That is until I realize I can ignore such futility and seek to do the best I can, while I can, and maybe not be caught up in the bullshit.

And, I never have, nor will I wear a mask just to make another person "feel safe".

If you are that weak, find a park bench and sit it out.

People got living to do.

No one makes it off this planet alive.

Enough.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just back yesterday from MI, helping a relative out. They are BIG into masks there, this was Marquette, very low on the Covid cases.

I had to get some lawnmower items, went to the small mon & pop shop. One needed a mask to approach the outdoor order window, I complied. I went to the tire shop, about 1/2 had some version of the mask.

I could of stayed another night, contemplated the ‘Dry Dock’ bar in Harvey, the Ore Dock, or Black Rocks breweries. No, I’ll just get back to WI, much more normal there.

OBTW, our Covid cases are very flat.

It doesn’t matter how dirty of if it’s just a folded up handkerchief(I used) as long as one has some resemblance, they get in. One is part of the ‘club’ I guess.

It’s a return of the ‘mask slackers’ from 1918.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIP2000GLO:
What I don't get are the idiots driving by themselves. One person in the car the driver only, with the mask on.

Why would these folks be idiots?

It really doesn't take a lot of brain power to think the mask wearing process through and realize that the smartest thing to do would be to don your mask with clean hands at home and not mess with it until you returned home and washed your hands.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by SIP2000GLO:

Why would these folks be idiots?

It really doesn't take a lot of brain power to think the mask wearing process through and realize that the smartest thing to do would be to don your mask with clean hands at home and not mess with it until you returned home and washed your hands.

Why? Because that's the only person around , the driver.

If you have to wait to get home to wash your hands, it would be already too late. You've already spread whatever it is throughout your car.

If one is so paranoid about it, should've dumped the mask. Then wash hands before getting into the car.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
masks are to protect others from your sneeze i am a smoker and i sneeze 0 times a day and if i did i would cover it. I would love to know how much snot the mask can hold you would think it would get messy Confused

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you get in your car - your mask is filthy on the exterior. (absorbing everything in the air from where-ever you were - and more so if it is moist from perspiration and exhalation).

The logical thing to do would be sanitize your hands and remove the mask and deposit into trunk/back of vehicle.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
masks.. is it just me

That's my guess.

I wear masks as I'd rather not become the reproductive organ of a nasty virus.

Those who don't mind that - for whatever reason - fine, that's their choice. But if my taking pains to make you safer, harshes your mellow...yep, that's 100% on you, friend. Wink

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worn N95s, SCBA and gas masks professionally since 1997. I've been trained in their use, been fit tested and used them operational as an EMT, Fire Fighter, Haz-mat Tech and Soldier. This whole mask/face covering mania has me concerned too. This whole Covid epidemic has me worried, I lost a cousin to it (positive test the week of her death) and several acquaintances have also passed (older folks, no test results).

The World Health Organization has some recommendations on when to wear masks and when not to. There has been some concerns over the WHO's credibility, but they are working this pandemic pretty hard. The CDC guidance matched the WHO recomendations at one point.
link

The CDC has published it's guidance Link. It recomends face coverings in public settings where social distancing measures are difficult to maintain. The CDC offers several studies on their site, but dosen't provide one on the effectiveness of masks. The CDC also says that it may prevent the spread (doesn't say it will) and emphasizes maintaining social distancing and everyday preventative methods (hand washing, covering sneezes, etc.) It also mentions that talking up close can potentially spread the virus.

CNET also ran a rather good article on masks link The CNET reports claims that the improvised mask only blocks the large particles and reduces how far your breath moves.

University of Minnesota has more technical article Link and discusses whether or a homemade or surgical masks are actually effective.

I'm worried that folks are running around with improperly fitted masks that can't actually filter Covid particles thinking that they are protecting themselves or others. Kind of like using a faulty condom while having sex with multiple partners. Also, if your mask has an easy exhale valve, it's not stopping your breath from getting out, if you are close to them, you are spraying them with your exhalation.

I'm also worried that folks are fear mongering for profit, power or credibility.

I'm also concerned that ill informed people are pushing bad data in both directions. We see the same with gun control, folks using half the data, bad data or made up data to push a particular talking point. Often with the best of intentions.

I wear a mask where I am required to by my organization and I recommend social distancing, staying home if/when possible and proper hand washing. I'd also recommend listening to the WHO video on when and who should wear masks. If you need a mask, please get fit tested, wear and clean it properly, wear eye protection and properly wash/decon.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on what we know of the WHO and their past performance, I wouldn't put any stock in what comes out of that organization.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Based on what we know of the WHO and their past performance, I wouldn't put any stock in what comes out of that organization.

Now the WHO is saying you only need a mask if you’re caring for the infected. What position will the drones parrot this time?

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I had to go to Walmart today.

As I approached the door, a Walmart-appointed scold says “Excuse me, do you have a mask?” I said “Nope“ and walked right past her. She yells “You can’t go in the store without a mask!”

Watch me. Big Grin

I had a greeter at the Trader Joe in Park Ridge chase me down when I walked in without a mask. I continued shopping while he followed me around as I shopped. I left when I thought he was going to start crying as he mentioned something about losing his job because he allowed me to slip past him when I entered. At that point I had already put the stuff I needed in my cart so I left and let the wife pay for it. She wears a mask as she's high risk.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Masks have sprung into a cottage industry. They are now a marketing gimmick. Everyone is selling them with logos on them for ten each. about a 800 percent profit.

Saw a guy riding in a car alone wearing one?????

It is silly / bizarre, as well as a reporter wearing one when broadcasting live from an empty parking lot.

Months ago, I swore against the masks. But, I now wear one when going to the grocery - simply out of courtesy/concern for the store employees.

Well, as I understand it, Gov. Blackface has ordered that everybody in the state has to wear masks in public, starting today.

Note, this is the same governor blackface that tried to use his national guard to confiscate firearms.

If I have to go outside today, I will wear the mask. On my left arm!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Sorry, folks, barring serious immune system issues, if you wear a mask, gloves, and carry a stick to push buttons with, you have serious mental issues. I wear a mask when required to do so. No one much gives a shit about my COPD. My limit on wearing a mask is about ten minutes.

I had a Karen reprimand me for hugging a pharmacy tech in the store the other days. I told her clearly that she could do with a foreign object.

I would never "correct" another adult's behavior in public, unless he was threatening or assaultive.

The world has become full of whining, sniveling, virtue signaling pussies. Makes me almost wish I was back in the barracks with actual men.

So, how do I "upvote" this post?!?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

Given how badly the CDC screwed up the COVID testing roll out I'd give the WHO a little credit.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
We are required to wear on at a couple of locations I work at and in public if you can't keep apart so my sister made me this one.

phil

Posts: 2384 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post