SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    masks.. is it just me
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

masks.. is it just me Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Masks have sprung into a cottage industry. They are now a marketing gimmick. Everyone is selling them with logos on them for ten each. about a 800 percent profit.

Saw a guy riding in a car alone wearing one?????

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I dunno, maybe the arabs have been on to something all along.
The other day a cutey cashier had a mask on and I think I started to get a semi. Not sure I would have otherwise.

Wuhan Virus prevention though...really don't care.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Masks have sprung into a cottage industry. They are now a marketing gimmick. Everyone is selling them with logos on them for ten each. about a 800 percent profit.

It is silly / bizarre, as well as a reporter wearing one when broadcasting live from an empty parking lot.

Months ago, I swore against the masks. But, I now wear one when going to the grocery - simply out of courtesy/concern for the store employees.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I typically do not wear a mask even though I recently was diagnosed with Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD), I do not think that a mask offers any real protection. I maintain social distancing, wash my hands and keep them to myself and carry a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer. That said, if I want something from Costco or any other store requiring a mask I will wear one for the time of my visit, it ain’t that big a thing.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have not been wearing a mask in public... but when I go to the grocery store I do wear gloves...

You can't get the virus through your skin.

The masks in public aren't to protect you.

You are correct, they are intended to protect others from the germs you may be spewing when you exhale. So put on a T shirt that states that your do not have Covid 19, have never been in contact with someone with Covid 19 and cannot be spewing out that virus with each breath exhaled. BTW, that guy without any mask you just passed by may have been an asymptomatic carrier of Covid 19.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
So put on a T shirt that states that your do not have Covid 19, have never been in contact with someone with Covid 19 and cannot be spewing out that virus with each breath exhaled.

How do you know you've not been in contact?

How do you know you aren't a carrier, or aren't shedding the virus?

In many cases, the person doing the infecting is unaware that they're infectious. That's the point of wearing the mask.

If you thought you were infectious, you'd hopefully not be out in the first place. Those who are out, and who don't know are infected, can't very well wear a tee shirt saying they're not, because they don't know.

Of course, all the big, beautiful tests, guaranteed to every citizen, help us all know we're not infected. Where are those tests, again?

I wouldn't mind getting a test, given that I spend most of my time in all the COVID hotspots around the world. I'm unable to get a test. Go figure. Where's that tee shirt?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've only worn a mask going into medical facilities where they were required. I also got tested twice in a 3 week period, came up negative both times. Keep in mind I'm not wearing gloves either, I'm the one in the family going out shopping about twice as often as before, to about 7 different stores. This is all a bad joke in this country, outside of the NYC environs, Detroit, New Orleans, LA and Seattle. If people are worried about catching it from me, wear a properly rated & fitted mask, goggles, gloves, sanitize everything, cower in your home and DON'T GO OUT!

And this spreading by asymptomatic virus shedding is CYA by the NIH and CDC. They just can't admit it is much more contagious and much less fatal than their near worthless models predicted.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There is a truly effective (logical/scalable/continual) way to prevent transmittable/communicable diseases in humans.

We are a "herd". We socialize, mingle, and come in contact with so many variables with regard to things that are on par with intimate contact of so many people that the concept that we can become isolated and invulnerable to any contagion is pure lunacy to have as a mindset.

We live with nearly 8 billion people in a finite world and will come in contact with almost anyone with a communicable disease by the "6 degrees of separation" theory.

To live life in absolute fear of the possibility that one might become afflicted by any disease, rather than living and enjoying life with the knowledge that such experience is, for the most part, a fallacy that one can avoid the "minefield" of communicable disease, is harboring on insanity.

The human condition, on this planet, in this age, is filled with things that may well kill us. And we all will die, some sooner, some later.

But to give up meaningful life, freedom to pick and choose the good things, to pursue the hearts desires, and to become enslaved to those who choose what quality/quantity and destiny is simply contrary to my nature, and to the nature of the cut of cloth that this country was fashioned.

In my short life, I have observed the steady and rapidly increasing erosion of the foundation this republic was founded upon. I grew up in the shadow of the greatest generation, and have seen, and now lament, on the greatness that has been wasted.

I am frustrated. I am angry. I am incensed at both those who are elected to serve us, and those that choose weak, ineffective, and evil/selfish people to positions that should represent the interests of this nation and her people.

And on this day, which we set aside, to honor and remember those who gave all, and to their families, who have suffered the loss of those dear to them, to see this current state of affairs, as a result of evil and self-serving people, makes me physically ill.

I love this nation. I love its people. But I am not happy with things as they are.

I am not good with it, at all.

To those, with whom I served, that left everything on the field, I have to believe that the choice and commitment transcend what I see, and what I think. I am not willing to accept that it meant nothing.

If one fears this disease, or the next, or the next, then YOU, hide, self protect, do whatever you believe prudent for yourself, but stop choosing for everyone else, what you "feel" is necessary for nearly 8 billion other people in the world to submit to, in order to ensure you are accommodated.

The world, the universe, and I don't owe you that debt.

And what are you (that have bought into this game) going to do to repay the loss incurred by those who never wanted to play this game?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

I love this commercial. Roll Eyes

Copper Wear Mask

Not only does the copper not do jack shit, you don't need the mask inside your house.

Posts: 27945 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ooh, look, Alyssa Milano at it again:

I hope there's a real filter underneath that (as she claims in the Twitter post accompanying this), because you could drive a truck through those holes.

Posts: 27945 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 coworkers have full beards and the masks never touch their faces. We have a pile of disposable masks just sitting on a desk out in the open and people root through them with their dirty hands after opening multiple doors to get into the work area.

quote:
This is all a bad joke

For sure- If this was truly virulent it'd go though the population like a warm knife through butter. Still don't know anyone who knows anyone who's had a confirmed case.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Not only does the copper not do jack shit, you don't need the mask inside your house.
"Standard delivery time, 2 to 4 weeks."

I could be dead from the virus by then!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mask, no gloves, no fear. You are not alone.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
They are bhurkas. We are being treated like moose limb women. I don't play.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, folks, barring serious immune system issues, if you wear a mask, gloves, and carry a stick to push buttons with, you have serious mental issues. I wear a mask when required to do so. No one much gives a shit about my COPD. My limit on wearing a mask is about ten minutes.

I had a Karen reprimand me for hugging a pharmacy tech in the store the other days. I told her clearly that she could do with a foreign object.

I would never "correct" another adult's behavior in public, unless he was threatening or assaultive.

The world has become full of whining, sniveling, virtue signaling pussies. Makes me almost wish I was back in the barracks with actual men.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Finally had to wear a mask for the first time yesterday.

Work has instituted some stringent directives. Guess I need to lead by example.

However I’d settle for two weeks paid vacation.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched the video as it might cause me to get angry and kick the dog or something.

Viral video shows Staten Island store mob screaming at woman without mask
By Kate Sheehy
2 minutes

A viral video shows a mob of Staten Island grocery-store shoppers screaming at a customer who wasn’t wearing a mask.

The furious crowd yelled, “Get out!” “Get the f–k out of here!” and “You’re a loser, bro!” at the woman at the ShopRite, according to footage posted on Facebook on Saturday and later widely shared on Twitter and other online sites.

When a man yelled after the woman, “Dirty ass pig!” a female customer added, “Dirty ass ho!”

One man pulled his mask down around his chin to yell at the lady.

“What happens in Staten Island when you don’t wear a mask at ShopRite!” Facebook poster Christine Lynn wrote above the footage on her page.

Christine wrote that a friend had taken and sent her the video.

“I think video shows shameful humans at their finest,” Christine said when responding to a comment.

The other person added, “Agreed. Working in a supermarket has shown me how ugly peoples can be.”

Christine wrote, “I get ppl are anxious NO reason to act the way some of them are…especially guy following her to scream at her and call her a pig!”

When someone wrote, “Question! Why is everyone so angry??? The’re wearing masks after all, aren’t they safe???” Christine replied, “they’re staten Islanders – this is how they act when they can! They were chasing her to yell at her – obviously not afraid of her!”

Someone wrote, “Same sh-t as the [local] stop and shop.”

Another person added, “this happen yesterday at my target neither were wearing masks though but one was mad the other wasn’t social distancing.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/25/...-woman-without-mask/

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I've been watching this whole mask thing from the sidelines. I do me, you do you.

The following IS NOT a position on wearing masks or not wearing masks. I do not care about masks being worn or not. Again, I do me, you do you.

The following, however, IS a criticism about the ARGUMENTS BEING MADE to wear one or not.

A mask or face covering, worn in any context other than in a medical facility as part of a comprehensive PPE scheme, is NOT to protect the wearer. It is to reduce (not prevent) the spread of germs from the wearer TO OTHERS. It is, in essence, now part of the same socially acceptable hygiene routine as washing your hands after you take a shit or take a piss--to reduce the spread of YOUR nastiness to OTHERS.

Do we care that the person wearing the ask has a beard and doesn't have a tight seal to prevent the inhalation of germs? No. That's not the point.

Do we care that wearing a seatbelt or keeping a fire extinguisher is a commonly acceptable safety measure, so why not wear masks? No. That's still not the point.

Stop confusing the issue. The issue, right now, is this: Should masks be part of America's socially acceptable hygiene standards? That is it. It is, 100%, just a hygiene question--nobody can, nor should they make, any argument FOR or AGAINST wearing a mask (again, outside of the context of a medical facility where PPE use is comprehensive) based on it's efficacy at preventing the wearer from getting sick.

When making arguments for or against masks, substitute hand washing, and see how your arguments stand up then. Pretend, for instance, that Costco put a sign at the front door that said all customers must wash their hands before entering. Start your arguments from there. Argue that the soap irritates some people. Argue that washing too often weakens the immune system. Argue that washing is a burden. Argue that you know your hands are clean. But for the love of all things, STOP arguing against washing your hands because washing your hands is ineffective at keeping your hands from getting dirty, because that is NOT the point.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

When making arguments for or against masks, substitute hand washing, and see how your arguments stand up then. Pretend, for instance, that Costco put a sign at the front door that said all customers must wash their hands before entering. Start your arguments from there. Argue that the soap irritates some people. Argue that washing too often weakens the immune system. Argue that washing is a burden. Argue that you know your hands are clean. But for the love of all things, STOP arguing against washing your hands because washing your hands is ineffective at keeping your hands from getting dirty, because that is NOT the point.

Unfair comparison.

Argue that instead of people washing their hands after using the restroom, that they wipe their hands on a paper or cloth towel, and then carry that towel around with them the rest of the day, touching it, touching door handles, touching shopping cart handles, etc.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Karen needs to get laid.

You first!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post