SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple: Update of the week club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple: Update of the week club Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Hey Tim! I have an idea that will save us tons of money. Let's use our end-user base as beta testers! We can then fix our updates based upon their complaints.

I am a competent and sentient human being despite my advancing age. I use an Android handset. Google, despite their wish to track my every move, at least seems to get their OS updates right and don't require me to update my OS every 10 days to 2 weeks.

Every time I pick up my wife's iPhone, there's an update waiting.

I love making money off these libs left-coasters; I hate their OS.

That is all.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you don't even use an Iphone , but are bitching about it. Got it, not a fanboy.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
So you don't even use an Iphone , but are bitching about it. Got it, not a fanboy.
my wife's iPhone

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30665 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:

PSA

Remember folks, unless you own the product, use the product, are of the correct skin color, work in the job mentioned, or anything directly associated with the topic you are no longer allowed to have an opinion on the subject.

That is all

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
imfrogman: "fan boy" is correctly spelled "fanboi". Get hip or get out!

Smile

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nein on the Crapple phone

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just cannot understand why all the hate for apple products and most of it from people who do not use apple products. I get it you do not like it , don't use it, but why all the constant bitching about it?
Sounds like Thou dos protest too much.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Reading is FUNdamental.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My limited experience confirms the OP about the infrequent android updates.

That must be why fully half or more of the current android phones for sale don’t even come with the most current Android OS and why so many people with phones 1-2 years old are still on the Android OS version that came on their phone instead of a more current version.

I’ll disagree with his perception of the frequency of the iOS updates though. iOS updates are more accurately done in around 3-6 week intervals (Apple OS update release dates)

It may seem more frequent if his wife isn’t installing the update since the message that it is available will continued to be displayed at some interval as a reminder it is available.

Hey, to each their own if you prefer to use 12-24 month old OS versions, knock yourself out.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Android patches the OS once a month.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Every time I pick up my wife's iPhone, there's an update waiting.

Really? Probably because your wife does not update when they do come out. Except in rare cases when Apple sends out an iOS update to fix a major bug or security hole, iOS versions are at least two months apart, sometimes longer, and you don't have to do them if you don't want to. macOS updates are generally several months apart, as they update the current version to the next point version. This usually involves updating older versions as well, with small security and Safari updates.

My only gripe about their method is they release all updates on the same day, for all devices. Network engineers at the backbone level have noted a significantly higher use of bandwidth on "Apple update day".

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use and like both platforms. Griping about Apple's update schedule is absurd. At least they bother. Unless you get a Pixel, you are at the mercy of the phone maker and carrier to push the major Android updates to you at their leisure (usually after both levels pack the OS full of garbage bloatware).

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post