SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Folks who are super lazy with their words
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folks who are super lazy with their words Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Normal = Congratulations!
Generally acceptable abbreviation = Congrats!
Absolutely ridiculously lazy = Gratz!

WTF is "gratz"? Roll Eyes

List your examples, plz. Razz

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"K" instead of O.K., or alright, etc....

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Prolly is the worst. It means the they can't spell.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Sup?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I generally hate abbreviations and butchering of the English language.

Totes would be a strong contender for number one in my book. It should be federal law that you get punched in the face for using it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in CT i had a good friend who was 1st generation naturalized American citizen from Italy. He explained Gratz was Italian short for Grazie. American Use the word incorrectly. I looked it up when i saw your post.

quote:
What is the difference between "gratzi" and "gratzie? How are they used in a conversation?
Ad by Toptal
Toptal: Hire financial modeling and startup funding experts.
Toptal hand-matches top startups with experts in fundraising, financial modeling, pricing, and more.
Start now at toptal.com
8 Answers
Steven Pratt
Steven Pratt, B.A. English & Teaching English as a Foreign Language, The University of Utah (2010)
Answered Feb 22 2016 · Author has 220 answers and 165.4k answer views
It appears you are speaking of the Italian word grazie. It's the plural of grazia, or grace. It is most certainly a shortened form of a longer expression, such as "Grace be upon you," though I can't support that with a reference.

Grazia is the root of their verb for "to thank," ringraziare. It is quite formal for an Italian to say, "Ti ringrazio," or more likely in the formal (Lei) form, "La ringrazio."

From my experience in Italy, I can't remember a native ever using the full, formal expression ringrazio, but my experience did not include many more formal social contexts. And I never heard the abbreviated form, "Grazi," and I was in southern Italy, where abbreviations and other shortcuts are more to be expected. (For example, mi 'spiace for "I'm sorry" instead of mi dispiace.)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vaycay (I guess that is how you would spell it) drives me nuts.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wut R U talkin bout, redneck?

I believe texting will be the death of the English language. I was reading an article in the New York Times the other day that had "R" instead of "are" in it. Apparently, no one caught it before it went to press. (Yeah, yeah, mistakes happen and whatnot, but it proves my point.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Sup witch u?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still wondering what a "boo" is. Term of endearment, perhaps? Thankfully, I retired. One of the women in my office was a wannabe hipster. Her 16 year old son was gay, and she was full of non-interesting words and phrases. I didn't understand much of what she said. Fortunately, she ran HR so I ignored her.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Prolly is the worst. It means the they can't spell.

Not necessarily. Just as I sometimes drop the "g" in favour of a trailing apostrophe, use "ain't" (which was drilled into me ain't proper English), use "y'all," "y'know," double negatives, drop a pronoun (e.g.: "knew that"), intentionally misspell (e.g.: "tell ya whut"), etc.: I sometimes use "prolly" for effect.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Along these lines, I hate when people say OMG. Actually say the letters O, M, G. And other text speak.

Or instead of “laughing very hard” they say “I was ROFLing.”

I want to put them out of my misery.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Wut R U talkin bout, redneck?

I believe texting will be the death of the English language. I was reading an article in the New York Times the other day that had "R" instead of "are" in it. Apparently, no one caught it before it went to press. (Yeah, yeah, mistakes happen and whatnot, but it proves my point.

This is rampant now. Magazines, newspapers, online news sites. Misspelled or missing words everywhere. In this day of spell check I'm not sure how they miss misspelled words in a professional publication.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, lazy,
Now go have a good one....

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The newspapers are getting in on the game. Too much trouble or time to spell Birmingham. It is now BHAM in the headlines. This is the Mobile Press Register. I guess Bham sounds better in a Rap video.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOL

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bro

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
+1 & TY

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Hahaha

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Hahaha

What do you suggest, then? LOL? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post