SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Folks who are super lazy with their words
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folks who are super lazy with their words Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I generally don’t give a shit how people use slang, but “kk” for “okay” drives me bonkers. I actually use “k” a lot, both in texts and actual speech but I for the life of me don’t understand why one would use two Ks for the slang version of “okay.”

kk means ok, cool. M'kay?

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
o aight kthxbai

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Not my problem. I usually type everything out as that's how I think. I have to force myself to type shortcut.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I will NEVER understand why people say "po-po," instead of the proper term: Five-Oh.

Surprisingly there is actually a reason.

Po-Po are street cops; 5-0 are special units (gang, SWAT, Narcs)

dang homie I though 5-0 was just for Hawaii leo... Book'em Dano

It's just five.
You better be ready when the five rolls by...

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
craycray for crazy. Drives me nuts

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
craycray for crazy. Drives me nuts craycray.

That's better, because that will drive you nuts!

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
"Social" or "Sosh" instead of Social Security

"Invite" instead of invitation

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
"K" instead of O.K., or alright, etc....

Why not use okey dokey? that is where OK comes from.

Nope. Old Kinderhook. Martin Van Buren's club, or home town. There is some disagreement.

Prolly is the word that grates like fingernails on a chalk board.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I actually like the slang "draw" for an entitlement check, like EBT. It expresses the entitlement aspect of it.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
And some letters for words is due to the 144 character limitations of texting carried over to general usage. That is lazy - yes?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"bae" is one that triggers me every time I hear it.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, so it's not a word, per se, but there are those folks who "abbreviate", say, "1.2K" when "1200" is the same length! I see this all the time in so-called professional presentations.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
"Social" or "Sosh" instead of Social Security..

If they ask me for my "Social", I answer: "No, sometimes I'm anti social".

Seems to piss them off.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
Okay, so it's not a word, per se, but there are those folks who "abbreviate", say, "1.2K" when "1200" is the same length! I see this all the time in so-called professional presentations .

Maybe because it is the professional way to write it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Watupyo?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Prolly.

Mad

Is it really that difficult to type two more letters?

Or, perhaps, you are trying to pretend that you're still a preteen.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Okay, so it's not a word, per se, but there are those folks who "abbreviate", say, "1.2K" when "1200" is the same length! I see this all the time in so-called professional presentations .

Except that it isn't, which means there's no real reason for using that syntax.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

1.2k is also appropriate (vs 1.2K). The lower case k is the metric format of the abbreviation, while English uses K. Lower case is also easier if you're texting using a phone keyboard.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
quote:

1.2k is also appropriate (vs 1.2K). The lower case k is the metric format of the abbreviation, while English uses K. Lower case is also easier if you're texting using a phone keyboard.

My error, I was referring to the lower case "k' as the appropriate notation to indicate "kilo"...1000

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except that it isn't, which means there's no real reason for using that syntax.

Confused