SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fed Up With The Broken Photobucket Images
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fed Up With The Broken Photobucket Images Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Just told uBlock Origin to simply block all content from "photobucket.com". Problem solved.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I will try that.
I dumped them weeks ago,took two weeks to get rid of pic.
Damn if it did not show up again yesterday.
Edit; well its gone again.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I will try that.
I dumped them weeks ago,took two weeks to get rid of pic.
Damn if it did not show up again yesterday.
Edit; well its gone again.

You say you dumped them but your avatar for this forum is still hosted at Photobucket.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:...
You say you dumped them but your avatar for this forum is still hosted at Photobucket.

The link to his avatar still points to the image that used to be hosted at Photobucket, but he has deleted his account.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:...

The link to his avatar still points to the image that used to be hosted at Photobucket, but he has deleted his account.

Which is just a little ironic Wink

Anyway: Yup. Constantly seeing this

and this

in avatars, sig lines, in Classifieds averts and elsewhere has become tiring. So I'll see no more Photobucket images at all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Just told uBlock Origin to simply block all content from "photobucket.com". Problem solved.

Very good solution, which I just copied. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Do the people doing this not see it? Confused Maybe they are able to see their own images on their own computers and don't realize that nobody else can?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Do the people doing this not see it? Confused Maybe they are able to see their own images on their own computers and don't realize that nobody else can?

That's my theory.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

When you see one of those broken Photobucket link images, they're not new photos that people are trying to post recently. They're old photos that had been posted prior to Photobucket's change of terms and purge of members back at the very end of June.

I've posted thousands or maybe tens of thousands of Photobucket photos on various different forums over the past decade or so. It would literally take weeks or months of full time work for me to go through and find every last post I've made online over the last ~10ish years and edit each one of them to remove the old dead Photobucket links from those old posts.

Therefore, if you go back to any of my online posts made before July of this year, before the big upheaval took place, chances are you're going to see one or more of those annoying broken Photobucket link images. Same goes for any number of the thousands/millions of other former Photobucket users and any of their billions of online posts dating back a decade or more.

Don't blame the posters. Blame Photobucket. They're the ones that changed, overnight, with no warning. Photobucket instantly broke many billions of images that had been posted for many years.

Luckily, here at Sigforum, old threads are pruned after about 6 months. (That's not the case on most other forums.) So with the exception of older posts in a handful of long-standing or stickied threads here (Cats, Buy a Glock, Greasy Milsurps, etc.), or those members who haven't bothered to switch their avatars over yet, chances are you won't see those broken Photobucket images much after the end of this year, because all of the older threads with those older Photobucket images will have passed 6 months and been pruned.

But you'll continue to run into on most other forums for many years to come, if go back and read a pre-July 2017 thread.

As a result, something like the OP's solution to just completely block all Photobucket images is a smart move. The only downside is that if you happen to run across a new post by any of the few people who are paying the many hundreds of dollars a year to remain Photobucket members under their new terms, you won't be able to see their photos either. But I imagine that's a very small number of people indeed. 99.9% of Photobucket images you run across online will be those older broken images.

Besides, Photobucket will likely be totally kaput within several months anyway, after massively pissing off their customer base and pricing themselves well out of the realm of remaining competitive, thus rendering even that point moot.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
As a result, something like the OP's solution to just completely block all Photobucket images is a smart move.

Thanks for the kind words.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The only downside is that if you happen to run across a new post by any of the few people who are paying the many hundreds of dollars a year to remain Photobucket members under their new terms, you won't be able to see their photos either. But I imagine that's a very small number of people indeed. 99.9% of Photobucket images you run across online will be those older broken images.

Besides, Photobucket will likely be totally kaput within several months anyway, after massively pissing off their customer base and pricing themselves well out of the realm of remaining competitive, thus rendering even that point moot.

Good, succinct explanation of my thinking at the time I made the decision.

I can't imagine what PB's thinking of. I can see saying "Look, this isn't working. Here's what we're going to have to do to stay operational," and come up with a plan to ease their users into the new paradigm. What they did instead is incomprehensible, to me. (N.B.: I never used them.)

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
It’s not just old photos from photobucket, there are some members that try and post new photos from photobucket and you get that graphic.

Like in this thread for example:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...570064924#4570064924

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I had no idea about ublock.

Its as easy as going to photobucket.com and one clicking it bye bye.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Photobucket have a death wish ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
There is a work around if you have Chrome or Firefox.

https://chrome.google.com/webs...alioapbifiaedg?hl=en

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...inkfix=1506456343113

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun Supply:
There is a work around if you have Chrome or Firefox.

https://chrome.google.com/webs...alioapbifiaedg?hl=en

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-...inkfix=1506456343113

Looked at that Firefox add on and it said it required my permission to allow it to access all my data at all websites. HELL NO!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I tried posting new photos from Botofucket today. Layers and layers of ads; copy embed code didn't work; gave up and went to Imgur, handled it without problem and without stupid multilayered ads.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post