SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yeti "pickle" bucket
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeti "pickle" bucket Login/Join 
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Do some dumpster diving and just get a sheet rock mud bucket and clean it out and you have a tool you can use for decades.

Or even a pickle bucket from a burger place!

A paint bucket will work nicely as well.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Ozark Trail from Walmart offers identical performance for basically 25% of the price. The coolers are awesome, but for the price of a Yeti I can make a really good argument for a vehicle mounted refrigerator.

This. Yeti didn’t sell very well until they raised their prices. Now they’re fashionable. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Do some dumpster diving and just get a sheet rock mud bucket and clean it out and you have a tool you can use for decades.

Or even a pickle bucket from a burger place!

Firehouse subs sells theirs, proceeds feeds the foundation. The last one I bought holds concrete and my mailbox post!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Few years back Wal-Mart had a sale on their faux yeti drink mugs for $5 and $7 for the small and large sizes. Bought a few of each. They work great.

I have a large yeti cooler, it works very well , especially with dry ice. Yeah expensive ,but a one time purchase.

The 5 gallon buckets mystified me as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm retired , but I have a couple of part time gigs that bring in ammo money . One of them includes inspecting a sewer treatment plant at a commercial development a couple of times a week . We inject a deodorizer chemical into the process and it comes in 7 GALLON buckets . Same diameter as a 5 gallon but a little taller . They rinse clean and I get two empty buckets with pour spout lids about every 8 weeks . I really have a hard time throwing these things away ! I must have about 8 of them out in the shed and two more in the garage . What is it about buckets that make them so desirable ?? I could do a YETTI ( get it ? ) knock off and make a fortune ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

What is it about buckets that make them so desirable?
Some of the supplies (household cleaning products) come in concentrates in five-gallon buckets, so I do accumulate empties.

I schlep a bucket with me when I go to the range (private gun club). A lot of people just leave when they have finished shooting, without policing the area for their brass, so I use a "brass mower" to collect a bunch in the bucket. I keep the caliber(s) that I reload. All other stuff gets sorted. Calibers that I do not reload get karma'd if I know anybody who uses them, and the left-overs go to a recycling place, where a bucket full of brass will bring me a few bucks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kind of suspected I was being ripped off by YETI on the coolers but when I saw the $40 buckets, I was pretty much sure of it. Someone once said no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. I just use styrofoam and put stickers on them I buy here www.shiticoolers.com

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All kinds of folks make all kinds of inserts that drop into 5 gallon buckets. Tool organizers, parts bins etc. They even make padded seats. Potty seats too!
The buckets are pretty handy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of yacht owners I work for, buy Yeti coolers. Ice can be very hard to come by in some locations we cruise in/to. They're well built and don't slide around on the deck or tip over. Aside from that, I don't think they hold ice any better than the Igloo Extreme Marine coolers that are 1/3 of the price. But they will definitely outlast the igloo, but are heavy. Worth the price, maybe for a few in situations like this one but not for most people. Personally I wouldn't buy one. But when you're pissing away 3-8 gallons of diesel per mile to move your yacht around, what's a $500 cooler Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The Yeti bucket like everything they sell is overpriced. Although there are times I would like a good bucket.

quote:
But yesterday I actually LOL when I saw in a sporting goods store a Yeti 5 gal bucket....for $40! A fucking $40 bucket? They claim it is "over built to last". I can buy 10 Home Depot 5 gal buckets for under $28. Shit, I have 3 5 gal buckets from our gas station that held diff fluid, those are over 20 years old. Exactly how much better is the Yeti.

The HD and Lowes buckets suck. Try putting a few tools, a few rocks or anything over a few ounces in one and set it down hard. It will break. Heck turn one over and sit on it and it will break.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I know a family in my neighborhood who have several Yeti buckets and lids. They are wealthy and it is a status symbol for them - can't mix with hoi polloi.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
In a moment of weakness I bought a Yeti coffee mug a while ago. I'm sure Walmart now has a copy for 1/3 or 1/4 the price. I think it was $20. Maybe $25. I will say this: It's become my favourite coffee mug. Keeps my brew at nearly the temperature I poured it until nearly the bottom of the cup.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have an ego. and I do have a Yeti cup.. only because a guy on a different forum was selling them... here is a picture of it:

But you know, the way I really show off is with my pistols....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We got a couple of pickle buckets from Firemen's Subs, $2.00 and it goes to the local FD. Downside was the smell, we take them rockhounding, nothing like the pickle smell in the Jeep!

Only Yeti product I ever bought was a coffee mug for my wife, hate to say but they work great!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I have some pickle buckets from Firehouse subs also. Rinsed them pretty good and use them to store fired brass. They still have a little bit of pickle smell after a 2 years, but not too bad if you don't use the lid......price was better than HD or Lowes and they seem a bit stronger....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Ozark Trail over Yeti. Nobody I need to impress with a name.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a Yeti can coozie that I found while hunting (still had a Bud light can in it) I suspect fell off of an ATV. It can double as a coffee mug if you take off the rubbery collar. It is the only Yeti product I will ever have until I find the next one.

I bought 4 high quality paint buckets at a yard sale for .50 each... I think I will write Yeti on them and see how much money I can make Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post