SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Misleading/ misrepresentation Reviews of plays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misleading/ misrepresentation Reviews of plays Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I don’t know what motivates one to write a blantantly false positive review of something like a play. But there should be punitive damages for writing false reviews.

Tickets aren’t cheap. If one makes a purchase decision based on a review published in a newspaper and there is large public consensus that the review does not even remotely resemble the quality of the performance, the writer and newspaper should be liable.

I feel so cheated. To say it was amateurish is a gross overstatement. I wanted to walk out after 15 minutes but waited an excruciating 75 minutes to intermission. I saw many others walk out the door too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The standard motivating factor (even worse for motion pics) is if you're the only critic in town giving a glowing review, guess whose name appears in the marketing for the production?

quote:
✯✯✯✯✯

Joel Nobuddee of the Smalltown Gazette calls Lame Play a stunning masterpiece.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
Did you also go to the Greatest Showman thinking it was a biopic? I took my kids and from the poster and the original reviews/previews we had no idea it was a musical. It was ok but not how I would have preferred to spend a saturday night with the family.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you got bamboozled. I try to check multiple reviews because the papers generally can't be trusted. It takes a while to figure what their reviewer likes and doesn't like and how your sensibilities align or don't.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
someone should be punished for having a different opinion than you?

because the fact of the matter is that how much one likes a play/movie/book/painting/sculpture/song/band is completely subjective.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I don’t think this is just a difference of opinion. Regardless of storyline, I think there is general consensus of bad acting and casting if something is really bad. This was really bad. A number of people walked at intermission.

Think of pee wee herman cast as braveheart. That’s how bad this was.

And yet reviews were 5 stars.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience this weekend, but without the misleading reviews.

It was so bad and awkward that afterwards I remarked I felt like we'd just sat through a performance at the Birdcage in Tombstone.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Reviews are subjective, so . . .

You also have to understand the context. The reviews quoted in the ads are going to be positive. A local theater piece, especially if it is partly amateur, is not likely to be crucified in the reviews in the local paper, no matter how dreadful. That isn't the New Yorker reviewing a Broadway show. A local paper reviewing a travelling production company probably won't pan something. They need the ads.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get reviews are subjective. But I don't think this is a case of subjectivity.

But agree that there is probably a (business) context here that is influential. But that's what I mean -- there is a conflict of interest between the reviewer, the newspapers, the venue and the company. There's no integrity anymore. Just blatant lies.

All I know is that I want patronize this particular theater company anymore. Period.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
So the theater has its equivalent of gun magazines?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post