SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Other insurance company avoiding contact when their driver is at fault
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Other insurance company avoiding contact when their driver is at fault Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Someone decided to play bumper cars with me a few weeks ago, resulting in $5600 in cosmetic damage to my vehicle. Other driver's fault.

Trying to handle it through their insurance was getting me nowhere fast, so I filed it with mine to get the ball rolling on the repairs. Car was repaired within a week. My insurance says they've initiated subrogation to recover their money from the other insurance, but I need to pursue repayment for the rental car and any diminished value directly with the other company.

Finally, two days ago, I get a letter from the other insurance company's claim department. This is the first return contact I've received from them, 20 days after the incident. Mail was delivered at ~5 pm on 10/26. This letter says that I have to contact them before 10/28 to discuss the claim. That's 1 day's notice.

So first thing yesterday, 10/27, I call them. Immediately goes to a voicemail that says that due to inclement weather their systems are down, but please leave a message and they'll get back with me. I do so. Crickets. I email the claim adjuster. Crickets. I call back yesterday afternoon. Crickets. I call back this morning. Same immediate shunt to voicemail, and still fucking crickets.

Your driver fucked up. You know you're on the hook for money. And I can't get a fucking peep out of you for 3+ weeks.

I guarantee these assholes will now try to say "Whelp, he didn't contact us before 10/28 like the letter said, so case closed".

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other Insurance company is......GEICO?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Farmers

([jingle]They are Farmers... very dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.[/jingle])

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Farmers

([jingle]They are Farmers... very dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.[/jingle])

Well, they've learned a thing or two.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I'd leave a message for them saying you're sure their lack of response is just an oversight, but if it's not, you are documenting it all in case you need to file a bad faith claim. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6394 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's when you leave them a message tell them your next call is going to the Arkansas state Insurance Commissioner.

I guarantee you they will call you right back!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, the insurance commissioner is the first call to make if you start to get the run around.
And document everything.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you had told them from the start that they need to respond or you'll talk to a lawyer, that would have gotten their attention.

Avoiding injury lawyers will save them money.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Farmers, not any better in a No-Fault state like Michigan.

After what I went through to file and collect a Mini-Tort claim against one of their insured it would be a cold day in Hell before I would consider them for insurance. Especially when their driver was cited and arrested for OUI (2X+ Michigan's .08 law)and while not charged with it he did have a loaded rifle in his back seat, not even close to hunting season. When I got ahold of a claims manager all he tried to do was deflect and evade, used the term "alleged" too many times for me.

Though I will give him credit. He told me initially that the claim would take 30 or more days and he would get his own copy of the MSP crash report. Apparently he went to the District Headquarters right away, less than a hour later I received a call "You will have your check by the first part of next week" and hung up. Guess he didn't like what he read on the report.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So first thing yesterday, 10/27, I call them. Immediately goes to a voicemail that says that due to inclement weather their systems are down, but please leave a message and they'll get back with me. I do so. Crickets. I email the claim adjuster. Crickets. I call back yesterday afternoon. Crickets. I call back this morning. Same immediate shunt to voicemail, and still fucking crickets.

Your driver fucked up. You know you're on the hook for money. And I can't get a fucking peep out of you for 3+ weeks.

https://insurance.arkansas.gov...s/consumer-services/

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There are laws (at least around here) that people need to report damage to the DMV w/in a small window (w/in 1 week of accident?).

There should be a law that forces insurance companies to close on claims to customer satisfaction w/in a a window as well.

Consumers are always subject to this and that fee or penalty or interest when payments are late. Corporations should be held to similar standards.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
File suit against the other driver in small claims court. That'll get their attention.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
File suit against the other driver in small claims court. That'll get their attention.

Or contact the other driver and tell him that's what you are going to do. That will get him on their case.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Yes, the insurance commissioner is the first call to make if you start to get the run around.
And document everything.

I was getting the runaround from State Farm a number of years back. Their whole attitude quickly changed when I told them I was going to contact the PA State Insurance Commission. It works!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Was at an intersection when a van pulled out from a stop sign and was hit. The driver stopped within feet. I left her my contact data.
Weeks later I get a call from the driver. Seems both drivers had State Farm and their rep told her they weren’t paying. That she was speeding!
Told her to find a supervisor and have them call me.
Nice lady calls I go over time, weather, etc. and she interrupts. “Sir that was a month ago. How do you remember this? “I’m in the Army and wrote a memo down as I was trained to. Would you like a copy?” She paused then promised my the lady would be covered. Then thanked me for being a good witness.
I’m pretty sure they otherwise would have dodged paying.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Any insurance is a form of legalized gambling .You pays your money and hope to get to collect ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Call a lawyer.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The reason I have insurance is to handle interactions with the other insurance company or the uninsured driver. First thing I'd do is go back to your insurance company and remind them it is their job to get repayment, etc.

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
The reason I have insurance is to handle interactions with the other insurance company or the uninsured driver. First thing I'd do is go back to your insurance company and remind them it is their job to get repayment, etc.

My insurance company has already initiated subrogation to recover the amount my insurance paid to repair my car, and get me back my deductible. So they're handling that part.

But I'm having to deal with the other insurance company for stuff not covered by my insurance, like my out of pocket rental car cost and diminished value for my vehicle (since even though it's been fixed it has now officially been in a wreck and therefore has lower sale/trade-in value).

The other company did finally contact me last week. They're "still investigating liability", and said they will get back with me once they've made their liability determination. Only if they accept liability will they then discuss rental and diminished value repayments.

My insurance company had already completed their investigation within the first few days, and assigned liability to the other driver. Apparently, Farmers is now taking several weeks to do their own investigation and make their own determination, before they either agree with my insurance's determination and accept liability, or if for some reason they claim I'm the one at fault they can turn it over to arbitration to sort through the two conflicting liability decisions.

My insurance says that it sometimes can take months. The good news is that I'm only out of pocket ~$1k currently between rental and deductible, so while I fully intend to vigorously pursue repayment plus diminished value, it's not like I'm going to be destitute in the meantime.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I used to be a claims adjuster, the ones saying to call your state's division of insurance or whatever it's called where you are are the correct ones. Don't bother with an attorney on a property damage only claim. There's nothing in it for them so they likely won't be of much help.

If you have the ability to bounce out of that one particular adjuster's voicemail to someone else that may also help. Try hitting 0 when you hit their VM and see if that works.

If not then yes, a call to your state's DOI will get them moving as they have to respond within a certain amount of time and then have to follow up with the DOI stating that they did indeed contact you and what the issue was.

Posts: 6344 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post