SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm horrible at keeping notes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm horrible at keeping notes Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
Back in '06 I was all gung-ho about learning to reload for my .308. I have a whole kit built up around being able to go just about anywhere and throw some rounds together.

Unfortunately, I had to set shooting sports aside from November of that year until now due to having to have my ulnar nerves transposed in my elbows.

1n my excitement to start developing a load, I put together a whole bunch of OCW batches for load development, but I apparently lost my notebook. I did find some old notes that I scribbled out on my laptop (tablet PC FTW), but I have no idea which of the 4 sets it's referring to. Some sets do have the powder and bullet weight listed, but no charge weights. I'm reasonably sure I could shoot them all without cause for concern, but as they say, "better safe than missing half your face." Besides, if one turns out to be the perfect formula to replicate my favored 175gr Federal MatchKings, I won't know how to replicate it.

I'll tear them down, reuse the bullets and the brass, and maybe save up the primers and scare the crap out of the neighbors with a hammer or something. Razz

And this time I'll actually take proper notes.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
And this time I'll actually take proper notes.

I might suggest a spreadsheet. I keep all of my reloading data and results in one, separate page on the same sheet for each caliber. The current favorite and one I use has the line highlighted in a light yellow, modified as needed so I can refer back. I use a small pad of paper to write down chrono results and then transfer them to the spreadsheet when I get back home. The sheet has columns for each piece of data, like primer brand, powder type and charge weight, bullet brand/type, OAL, ambient temperature, velocity, date, and power factor, (automatically calculated in the sheet with a simple formula for that column, plus a comments column.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
There's a spreadsheet I'm remembering but can't find because it was roughly 2 laptops ago that had formulas to get OCW values.

It shouldn't be too hard to recreate.

I got almost all of the offending bullets pulled last night. There's a few that the collet puller deformed, but there's a lot more that are just scratched.

Of higher importance is dealing with the beer glass I filled with powder in the process. Luckily it makes for a pretty decent fertilizer.

Then it's on to the part where I start building the bullets back. I'm not feeling the "weigh by hand" setup I had before, and the attempt I made at building an all-in-one scale and charge dispenser failed pretty hardcore, so now I'm looking at off-the-shelf solutions.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post