SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The last 30 hours sucked a bit.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The last 30 hours sucked a bit. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
So yesterday I wake up for work. Can't find my wallet. Last I used it was at gas station for mower gas. Mowed lawn, dumped pockets on the bed, took shower, drank beer or two and made smoked chicken wings. Went to bed. Back to morning time, looked all over the house for hours and my wife for most of that time too. Searched everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Went back to gas station looked through out the yard, under every nook and cranny. At this point I am now not going to be able to complete all my jobs for the day. I call the larger third job and have him reschedule. Finally I give up, it must be gone. Cancel five credit cards and my bank card. Headed to DMV (dept of motor vehicles) waited in line for 20 minutes to ask what forms of ID I needed to get replacement. Went and did my first two scheduled jobs, both ended up being a pain in the ass and took double the amount of time they were scheduled for. Now I head back to DMV next to my house it's after 2PM and the line is out the door. I remember that the Leesburg one is always faster and that I'd waste an hour of driving time back and forth but it would be mostly saved by not waiting in line.

Get to the Leesburg DMV and as expected much faster than local one. Now I am getting excited, I had previously planned to get my replacement CHP (CCW) and printed out the duplicate form. I'm thinking even though the jobs ran long I may still get to do it. Wait is not bad I am done by 4:35, courthouse is only 2 miles away, maybe I can make it. Get stuck in traffic, parked by 4:43. Go through security, they make me put my flashlight in a locker due to bevels on end. Get out of security by 4:53, ask the sheriff which way to go, she says you got seven minutes better hurry.

I get to the clerks desk and have my pre-printed form minus signature and date. I have my temp ID, birth certificate, etc. She's able to process it with two minutes to go. Go to pay the $5 fee and hand her only credit card I didn't have in my wallet, 'sorry we don't take AMEX', OK I prepared for that, hand her a visa gift card, 'sorry it has to have a name on it'. Great, I pull wife's joint account card, which of course has her name not mine, 'sorry name on card has to match the application'. Fuck. It will be weeks before I can get back likely. Four people in the room, I ask does anyone want to trade $5 now for $20 in five minutes. Guy one 'no money', Gal two 'I only have a hundred', 'the clerk will provide change' blank look. Go ask a couple getting wedding license, both pull out a five spot. Hubby hands me his first. Victory, I got the thing in as they were locking the doors. I wait for the couple, we head to the ATM in the lobby and I try all three cards. Gift card won't even go in machine. AMEX no cashback option. Joint account, she has a different pin than mine. I feel like a douche, offer to buy them $30 in gas or groceries instead. They very kindly decline and tell me it was their pleasure to help and I wish them a happy marriage.

At this point I actually declared the day a victory. It sucked that I lost my wallet, but I canceled everything, no charges to dispute. Got temp license and forms completed to get duplicate CHP in the mail. I got in 4.5 hours at work too, so it didn't cost me a full days pay. Not too bad.

Off to bed, got a match in the AM and it's a 1:45 drive away. Get woken up at 2AM to banging on my door. I grab my P225-A1 and proceed to find what the fuck is going on. I unlock the door and turn the handle. Then I used right hand to open the door and the door to conceal the gun. Fuck, it's a cop. He was leaving and about 10' from the door and turned around to come to me. Damn it. I use my left hand wave to him and point towards the door as I slowing bring the gun around the door pointed at the ground and set in front of me.

I opened the door and asked what the heck is going on. Thanked me for putting the gun down and said suspected domestic and asked if there was a woman screaming in my house or if I heard something. I said buddy you woke me up, I have no clue what you are talking about.

At this point I am a tad bit nervous, I don't like encountering cops what I have a gun in my hand, real easy for that to go sideways quickly. He's out on a domestic in the proximity of a woman heard screaming and I answer the door with a gun.

At this point it took me hours to fall back asleep I am not making the match. Tossed and turned in bed, at one point I move pillow around to get more comfortable. I notice a 4"x5" protrusion in my pillow. I reach my hand in the case and damn there's my wallet. How the hell did that get in there? Both my wife checked it and I checked the pillows, I even held them up and shook them. All that effort of DMV twice, courthouse, hours on phone with multiple banks, trip to my bank to get temp debit card all for nothing. At least I don't have to buy a new wallet and I got everything done quickly to still get in a half day at work.

What an annoying day.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Good news: You got the wallet back, no phony charges on your credit cards. You will now have duplicate "back-up" driver license, carry permit, etc.

Bad news: Just about everything else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you figured out how the wallet ended up there?

Posts: 1048 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Have you figured out how the wallet ended up there?

The 2AM cop's partner put it there just to have fun. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Jesse, tough day. And thankfully not everyday's are similar.

I was just having a conversation with my sister about items that disappear without a trace and absolutely no clues as to how. We both agreed after discussing it at length, it'll probably just show up when you least expect it Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
...items that disappear without a trace and absolutely no clues as to how...

This happens to me as well.

It is either the gun spring trolls paid me a visit when I wasn't taking anything apart or the fabric of reality has unwoven itself just to swallow something else.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You must be a wreck, even after finding the wallet. Can you un-cancel the cards or are you going to have to wait for new ones?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar adventure:
I shoot at an old gravel pit. Pretty simple. Pull up, set up my steel plates, shoot, police brass and leave. An hour tops. I move my truck just far enough away to avoid splash from the targets. Pretty small area involved. So... Went shooting earlier this week and did the usual routine. After getting loaded back up - no truck keys. Massive search of the entire area and truck interior. After 45 minutes of pointless thrashing around the area, I admit defeat and reach for my cell phone. No service. Its the Yoop! So hike to high ground and call my buddy to rescue me. At this point, I begin to ponder the consequences of the event:
I have to buy my buddy breakfast and listen to how amusing he finds all this.
I get to replace the outrageously expensive factory key fob and key.
Worry about what might happen to my truck as we do the round trip to MQT and back with the spare key.
And of course as I see my buddy approaching, I see the keys. Walking back and forth to my targets had dislodged a rock and the keys had dropped perfectly into the spot vacated by the rock.
So... It was a great breakfast! The worst part of all this for me is I am organized to the point of being borderline OCD and losing anything drives me nuts.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

will probably just show up when you least expect it Wink
And you’ll find it in the last place that you look!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
This is my lost wallet story. And it's truly amazing.

I was in Utah and stopped to hike to some ruins. I needed to put money in the BLM envelope for a permit, so I filled out the envelope on my hard Tonneau cover behind the driver's side, put the envelope in the slot, and went hiking. Drove back into Blanding (about 45 minutes) and needed gas. No wallet. Crap!

Looked all over, drove back out to the trailhead, looked all over. No wallet. Started driving back to Blanding really slow, watching the roadside, as I started to remember that I may have left the wallet on the Tonneau cover. Stopped a couple of places where I thought I saw it, no joy.

At the last stop, for some odd reason, it occurred to me to look between the cab and the bed to see if it maybe slid down the gap there. Sure enough, it was lodged in the gap at the bottom of the bed.

I did lose a couple of cards from the wallet, but most everything else was intact. Good thing, as by that time I was almost out of gas and without options.

These days, when I road trip, I leave a spare card in the glove box just in case I lose my wallet. And I'm much more mindful of my wallet!

So OP, I feel your pain.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I go through this almost daily with my wife. Rings, hearing aids, Partials, credit cards, phone, you name it. Drives me nuts.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I go through this almost daily with my wife. Rings, hearing aids, Partials, credit cards, phone, you name it. Drives me nuts.

seems you'd save yourself some hassle getting her a valet tray.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
That’s quite the 30 hour stretch!! Wow.

Hopefully it’s only onward and upward from here.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Just replace it, whatever it is (wallet, tool, whatever). That's the quickest way to find the lost one.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
That’s quite the 30 hour stretch!! Wow.

Hopefully it’s only onward and upward from here.

It was actually 19hr stretch of fun, it was 30 hours by the time I typed it.

Sometimes you just have a bad day, luckily only out half days pay and some reissuing fees.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
You know those punk looking "biker" or "trucker" wallets? The ones with the chain? Yep, got one. If I can't find my wallet, never mind all the cards, replacing driver's license, ccw permit...I do NOT want to explain to the wife where I left my pants!

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Just replace it, whatever it is (wallet, tool, whatever). That's the quickest way to find the lost one.

I'd love to, though in my case, the vanishing item is small and worth more than I want to spend to replace it. I'm leaning towards a maniacal cat batting it off the countertop and either behind or under something. They have a reputation for batting stuff around to keep up with, after all.. Smile

I was thinking one of Jesse's cats might have accidentally knocked it off a bedside lamp table or something possibly.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely Thread- I need to put a $20 in my truck as backup.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lost mine a couple years ago. Drove everywhere I had gone. Checked garbage cans and bathrooms and storm drains. Places I figured someone would chuck it after they cleaned it out.

Found it under my office chair when I got home. Still don't know how it got there.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had something similar occur, threw my wallet into my backpack and somehow it slide into a small, nearly hidden pocket. Spent hours looking for it, calling places I had been earlier that day, etc.

The only thing that saved me was that it happened on a Sunday, so there was no way to get new IDs, etc.

Finally found it later that evening.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post