SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is SurePost cheaper for UPS shippers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is SurePost cheaper for UPS shippers? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I assume it must be, why else would you use such a fucked up system?

I ordered 4 used alloy rims for my Tundra to replace the nasty rusting steel ones.

And UPS delivered them to the Post Office, no more than 100 feet from my front door.

Now the Post Office guy gets to handle them twice, and I get to trundle my reefer dolly across the street to pick them up.

I'd like to meet the fucking genius that devised this system just long enough to punch him (or her) in the mouth.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I ordered pet flea and heart worm medication and they shipped UPS surepost. It took 3 days to get to a post office within 7 miles of my house. It then sat there for 9 days. I called the pet company, who sent another order normal UPS, which got to my house in 3-4 days......another 4 days after that, the origional order showed up at my house. It took the post office 2-3 weeks to deliver it 7 miles!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Surepost is you paying UPS to mail you something, they mail it the absolute cheapest way possible. Surepost are 3rd class mail, you get what you pay for.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Want it cheap?

Get it cheap.

Want / Need it in a realistic timeline?

Pay for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Want it cheap?

Get it cheap.

Want / Need it in a realistic timeline?

Pay for it.

Wasn't given the option.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Surepost.

Goes from the shitty US mail system:
Into UPS system of glorious tracking and knowing where your package is at, anytime.
Then they transfer it back to the localish US post office to lose it for a few days in their system, and completely fuck up a timely delivery.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I ordered 4 used alloy rims for my Tundra to replace the nasty rusting steel ones.

And UPS delivered them to the Post Office, no more than 100 feet from my front door.

Now the Post Office guy gets to handle them twice, and I get to trundle my reefer dolly across the street to pick them up.

I'd like to meet the fucking genius that devised this system just long enough to punch him (or her) in the mouth.

I agree 100%. Surepost and the FedEx equivalent are truly abortions. Shipments are generally delayed at least a day (more often longer) while the transfer to USPS occurs, and they shuffle it around before delivery.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
SurePost means add an extra 2-3 days to delivery for sure.

No matter what, it seems to take 2-3 days minimum from when it gets to my local post office, to when it gets to my house. 1/4 a mile farther down the road. And for the longest time, they always got delivered on Sunday, so I figured it was someone's OT racket. So calculating delivery would be the day it got to the PO, plus however many days till Sunday.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
quote:

I agree 100%. Surepost and the FedEx equivalent are truly abortions. Shipments are generally delayed at least a day (more often longer) while the transfer to USPS occurs, and they shuffle it around before delivery.

FedEx is pulling all of its Smartpost back from the USPS in phases. Currently at about 60%

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't given the option.
Well you bought the tires, so you sorta were. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wasn't given the option.

I take your point, but it doesn't apply in this case: The shipper didn't give me any shipping options nor did he specify how they would be shipped.

Also, Fee Bay sent me an email saying all four had been delivered mid-day yesterday. Pure fantasy, as I got two of them direct from UPS last night about 9pm, and as of this morning the Post Office hasn't received any. I do have two different tracking numbers supposed to arrive today...again direct from UPS. Shipping-wise, this whole thing has been a fustercluck from the get-go.

OTOH, the wheels look good and the price was right.

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm with you - I dislike SurePost. (The only thing about it is it slows down the delivery!)

I believe there is one solution - but I've never tried it. It also assumes the shipper provides the UPS tracking number.

Sign up for my UPS. When you get the tracking number enter it into the app (I assume there's also an online version as well) and 'upgrade' the delivery. From memory it's 3.00 to upgrade so that UPS makes the delivery.

From memory, I believe that at some point in the process the ability to upgrade goes away. (I think I tried to upgrade one package but was too late.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The worst of all shipping, based on my experience.They just combine all the bad features of each parcel company into one package.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Wasn't given the option.

I take your point, but it doesn't apply in this case: The shipper didn't give me any shipping options nor did he specify how they would be shipped.

Also, Fee Bay sent me an email saying all four had been delivered mid-day yesterday. Pure fantasy, as I got two of them direct from UPS last night about 9pm, and as of this morning the Post Office hasn't received any. I do have two different tracking numbers supposed to arrive today...again direct from UPS. Shipping-wise, this whole thing has been a fustercluck from the get-go.

OTOH, the wheels look good and the price was right.

Are you going to install the 2 you recieved on the drivers side or the passenger side of the car? Big Grin hahahahaha

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I got the other two this afternoon. Have an appointment Wednesday to have the tires moved to the new rims, balanced, rotated and installed with new TPMS Sensors.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My experience is your tracking from whomever, will show it's been delivered when it gets to the post office, not to you. It can bring on a bit of distress and I'm sure it's caused countless unhappy panicked phone calls and emails.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post