SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gun Shows and Irony
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Shows and Irony Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
I'm not a big gun show attender. But the weather wasn't supposed to be overly nice here this weekend, I didn't have other plans, and I heard an advertisement on the radio earlier in the week. So, I went to their website for more information.

On the main page of the website ( Eastman Gun Shows ):
"Proud supporters of your second amendment rights since 1981."

Drilling down to the "Rules" page:
"No loaded firearms will be permitted in these shows. No personal firearms or loaded magazines or loose ammunition."

I stayed home and worked on my taxes.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I went to a show that didn't have this rule. Even the presumed largest show in world...www.tulsaarmsshow.com...has a policy against loaded guns. That doesn't stop the NRA from attending and setting up a nice display at each event.

I've been to a show where an accidental discharge occurred, and would rather not go through that again, thank you. I suppose you could discretely carry a loaded mag in your waistband, the most they could do is ask you to leave if you were just unable to keep from showing it off. It's not like they hold gun shows in Federal buildings. Some shows will hold your carry ammo at the door, if you're that worried about a large group of savages descending upon a roomful of gun lovers. But as Lt. Vincent Hanna says...you can killed walkin' your doggie.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HOGSTR:
I can't remember the last time I went to a show that didn't have this rule.

Insurance requirements, if for no other reason (and I can think of a few others).

People here complain all the time about the unsafe stuff they see among a few other users of shooting ranges. Obviously, no one is shooting at a gun show, but there is plenty of opportunities for, “Here, let me show you this,” type interactions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I know this is nothing new. And I know that this is not a new rant here. And I know the whole insurance company and lawyer thing. But it still seems to be the ultimate hypocrisy to me.

They are not "supporting our rights". They are making money while stomping on our rights.

Not that I think it's likely to change.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3295 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Private show, private rules. Property rights.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Private show, private rules. Property rights....

.... can still be criticized.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is not stomping on our rights. It seems like there is an accidental discharge at a gun show every so often, because people are not being careful while handling guns. Separating guns and ammo doesn't seem to be a terrible idea to me. Plus there is every chance that an insurer or owner of the meeting hall demanding this provision.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"No loaded firearms will be permitted in these shows. No personal firearms or loaded magazines or loose ammunition."

I've been going to gun shows for 30 years in four states and can't remember any not saying that. So you might as well stay home. More guns for me. Razz

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
My biggest issue with it is, most of the people who are going to the show are probably people who carry a sidearm. So, now you have a parking lot full of vehicles with weapons in them.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Gun shows around northern AZ in my neck of the woods, are held in privately owned facilities. An AZ statute (similar to LEOSA) provides for a retired LEO to carry anywhere an active LEO can carry with the exceptions of jail, court, prohibited by federal law, secure police facility and where alcohol is sold to be consumed on the premises and the individual will be drinking.

The main host facility refuses to recognize that statute and will not allow an armed, retired LEO with credentials AND a concealed weapons permit, to enter the facility. They rather have unarmed fireplug shaped "security" staff patrolling the facility.

So I don't go.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Gun shows around northern AZ in my neck of the woods, are held in privately owned facilities. An AZ statute (similar to LEOSA) provides for a retired LEO to carry anywhere an active LEO can carry with the exceptions of jail, court, prohibited by federal law, secure police facility and where alcohol is sold to be consumed on the premises and the individual will be drinking.

The main host facility refuses to recognize that statute and will not allow an armed, retired LEO with credentials AND a concealed weapons permit, to enter the facility. They rather have unarmed fireplug shaped "security" staff patrolling the facility.

So I don't go.

How do they know you are armed??
A little note to the state attorney generals office might change their way of thinking.

There was a venue in Louisville that would not allow current LE in armed even though state law makes it that LE can carry pretty much anywhere in the state as well.
Their policy has since changed once some folks in the state governement were notified.
In this case I believe it was Alcohol and Beverage Control that was notified of their legal violation putting their liquor license in question.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Near me there are three gun shows frequently. Two don't allow loaded concealed carry. One does not prohibit it.

Makes it easy for me to decide which one to go to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I'm not a big gun show attender. But the weather wasn't supposed to be overly nice here this weekend, I didn't have other plans, and I heard an advertisement on the radio earlier in the week. So, I went to their website for more information.

On the main page of the website ( Eastman Gun Shows ):
"Proud supporters of your second amendment rights since 1981."

Drilling down to the "Rules" page:

I stayed home and worked on my taxes.

Seriously ? ? ? It's pretty obvious that this is proably your first gun show. Back in the 80's it wasn't at all uncommon to hear a discharge when someone "forgot" their firearm was loaded. Every gun show I have ever attended I see handling mistakes and foolish behaviors that make me feel quite good that folks aren't allow to carry with a "hot" firearm and enforce it.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
This.

In 10 years of attending gun shows in DFW I've witnessed two ND's. Both at shows that did not allow personal firearms nor loaded magazines to be carried. Too many clueless bozos come out of their dens to attend these shows.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Do we still have this discussion? Sometime you need to look at the idiots that attend shows (me included). Smile Gun owners have some of the worst gun handling skills or habits I've ever seen. Still worse at ranges, public and private. So I've decided that being a sheep is much safer than standing up for my rights were I don't benefit from it at all.

Yes, I've been attending gun shows since the early 1970s, make it 45 or so years. Its never occurred to me to protest it, or to what end.

To be more controversial, I'm not even sure I'm in favor of our new Constitutional Carry law that has just passed. From my point of view, everyone that carries that I know of already has a license. I'm more worried about those that don't.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
When I'm at home, I make sure every gun in the room is unloaded and all live ammo is safely put away before I dissemble, clean, work on, dry fire, practice movements, or otherwise handle my gun in any manner.

I fully expect that a similar rule should be enforced when you have a couple hundred people in a room all finger fucking guns at the same time.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my buying lately at in gun shows has been for reloading supplies to dodge the hazmat fees, but I also do not like to be disarmed with all the crazy folks out there who don’t give s damn about what a sign says.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have every right to bitch. That being said this is a good rule. If people carried with no intention of ever pulling out their guns at a show, short of necessity, it would be one thing. At a gun show however you could reasonably expect dozens of people deciding to trade or sell a loaded gun. Nope and double nope. I don’t even like public gun ranges. The poor handling skills and safety are terrifying.

At a show where guns are going to be handled en masse, it is preferable for all of them to be unloaded.

As for staying home, you probably didn’t miss much. I haven’t been to a decent gun show open years.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even with the rules of no loaded firearms I’ve seen a couple accidental discharges. I have personally picked up another vendors shotgun and cleared it and out popped a shell so if they didn’t have this rule I would assume it accidental discharges would happen even more frequently.

Like someone up there said.. if you can contain yourself from showing it off and you keep it concealed they aren’t patting you down as you enter the show. Worst case they ask you to leave?

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But that is the irony. Here is a function all about the 2nd Amendment and yet (1) they dont allow you carry and (2) there is a consistent issue with idiots that should know how to use firearms safely....cant.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post