SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gun Shows and Irony
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Shows and Irony Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You can carry at the shows here. There is an off duty officer at the gate checking weapons that are brought in to sell or trade (& I have seen more one "unloaded" gun that was checked pop out a live round). The officer just tells folks carrin' to keep their carry pistol holstered.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the greatest argument against gun owners are some gun owners

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup.

I've been at two shows where the ceiling was perforated by someone showing off or trying to sell their carry gun. I've also seen fingers blown off and a thigh ventilated by jackasses with "unloaded" carry guns.

I don't like my carry rights being infringed, but my personal experiences lead me appreciate the rule.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

Yup.

I've been at two shows where the ceiling was perforated by someone showing off or trying to sell their carry gun. I've also seen fingers blown off and a thigh ventilated by jackasses with "unloaded" carry guns.

I don't like my carry rights being infringed, but my personal experiences lead me appreciate the rule.

And you wonder why you see local establishments with "no guns" sign on the door? It would be funny to see a restaurant with a sign that reads "NRA Convention rules apply".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Gun shows around northern AZ in my neck of the woods, are held in privately owned facilities. An AZ statute (similar to LEOSA) provides for a retired LEO to carry anywhere an active LEO can carry with the exceptions of jail, court, prohibited by federal law, secure police facility and where alcohol is sold to be consumed on the premises and the individual will be drinking.

The main host facility refuses to recognize that statute and will not allow an armed, retired LEO with credentials AND a concealed weapons permit, to enter the facility. They rather have unarmed fireplug shaped "security" staff patrolling the facility.

So I don't go.

How do they know you are armed??
A little note to the state attorney generals office might change their way of thinking.

There was a venue in Louisville that would not allow current LE in armed even though state law makes it that LE can carry pretty much anywhere in the state as well.
Their policy has since changed once some folks in the state governement were notified.
In this case I believe it was Alcohol and Beverage Control that was notified of their legal violation putting their liquor license in question.

I'm not going to lie about it if asked by their midget door 'security' staff. They have wands if they believe you are in fact carrying. If you refuse the wand, you're denied entry. I have no desire to face a trespassing charge and never be able to attend in the future.

It's private property. Being honest about it and using appropriate state statutes would seem (to me) the best way to address the issue. I've addressed the issue with the venue management and the local PD who advises the management.

The AZ state AG only represents state agencies unless it's a matter of consumer fraud.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At an Eastman show in the mid-1990s, a dealer got a 40 caliber slug in his ass when his wife was passing the security cable through the trigger guard of a Glock they had out for sale.

Yeah, you read that right.

A few years later, a young boy was killed at an Estman show by a dealer, under similar circumstances.
'
No loaded firearms' is a wise rule. It may be that the exhibitor has no choice. I would imagine that he wouldn't be able to get insurance for his exhibits if he didn't employ this rule.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, that's the excuse at this venue. They have regular sports events, gun shows, RV shows, quilt shows, etc. The city used to be part owner of the complex but it was going bankrupt. New private owners took it over.

I was told by the unimpressive 'security' staff that even off duty officers with credentials will be denied if armed. Only on duty officers, in uniform are allowed with loaded firearms. I might ask some UC agents from State Liquor Licenses and Control or ATF to test that rule.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
They are not "supporting our rights". They are making money while stomping on our rights.
The alternative is no more gun shows. Is that what you want?

posted Hide Post
Some of the posters hit on it.

Some shows require insurance which says no loaded firearms or loaded mags or live ammo.

Some shows are at county fairgrounds, which do not allow loaded guns in the show at the fairgrounds.

It would be an accident waiting to happen.

I personally saw a guy looking at buying a gun off a guy at a show. He was gonna try the trigger pull, he racked it first and a round came out. Could have been bad.

Most shows ask for any guns and they put a wire tie in the chamber. But people sneak them in loaded.

Some shows will confiscate any loaded mags.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if I were an exhibitor, I'd have and enforce this rule, no matter what anyone else- including my insurance company- said about it.

I've been attending gun shows for more than forty years, and I have been witness to some horribly negligent gun handling in those aisles and tables.

If you want to get all righteous about it and start waving around the Constitution, or start pissing about 'hypocrisy', knock yourself out, but this is a good rule and I support it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
It is a common sense rule in a non common sense world. Stop worrying about the perceived violation of your rights because that is what it is. Just a perception.

Now if they could just ban marmalade, nazi stuff, and tables with junker knives. Now that would be something I could support.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't often go to gun shows. The last one I went to did check guns to make sure they were unloaded before you entered. I had a loaded mag in my sock just in case.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It is a common sense rule in a non common sense world. Stop worrying about the perceived violation of your rights because that is what it is. Just a perception.

Now if they could just ban marmalade, nazi stuff, and tables with junker knives. Now that would be something I could support.

This. I can't think of any place that has stricter gun rules than at a match. I've seen some crazy stuff with gun handling amongst 'experienced' shooters. Hell I had someone shot themselves 3' away from me that I had shot a dozen matches with. I don't complain that I have to show my pistol is clear at a match, so why would I complain about no guns at a gun show? Remember that shows are a place where people are introducted to guns sometimes for the first time. Also remember that the median IQ is 100, so half the people there are stupider than the average Joe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I received an update today through the contact I made at the privately owned AZ facility which hosts gun shows and serves alcohol for on sight consumption. I previously posted on this thread.

We had multiple conversations which I provided applicable federal, AZ CCW and AZ liquor laws authorizing concealed carry by retired/current sworn LEOs. My contact asked the PD Chief and the City Attorney to research the legality of the venue prohibiting CCW at the events they host, including gun shows.

They agreed that the facility cannot legally prohibit retired/current sworn LEOs with credentials. It probably would have no effect on CCW permit holders, but remains to be seen. No alcohol may be consumed by the carrier while on the premises. The facility management now has the choice of changing their policy or cancelling hosted events.

This may or may not apply to a government owned facility. I would suggest researching your state statutes regarding CCW permits in private and government venues (whether you're retired LEO or not). My approach seems to have resolved the issue.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Not every Fudd with a gun is as safe as most of us on this board. Some guys will take their loaded pistols to the show and then whip them out when doing a sale or trade if this rule wasn't printed at the door.
Kind of like thinking your right to free travel is being stomped on by stop signs.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
The facility management now has the choice of changing their policy or cancelling hosted events.

Congratulations, I guess. Maybe they’ll choose the former.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not allowed here in my town, and I have never carried in one for the simple reason that is the last place I plan to need a gun... if shooting starts I'm digging a hole in the concrete floor.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I haven't went to a guns how in years. i realized paying 10 bucks to go asshole to belly button with a bunch of camo laden, foul smelling freaks wasn't worth the 10 percent savings!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I haven't went to a guns how in years. i realized paying 10 bucks to go asshole to belly button with a bunch of camo laden, foul smelling freaks wasn't worth the 10 percent savings!

10% savings?!?!?!?!

I need to check out the gunshows you go to!!!!

Only thing worth going to a gunshow is if you are on the hunt for something rare / hard to find. Oftentimes these things come out for those shows, after someone dies, etc, etc.

Otherwise for new production weapons, accessories, and ammunition there are far faster, cheaper, and less painful ways to get those via the internet and a local transfer FFL.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The shows up here are mostly posted for open carrying or selling of firearms, if it's visible it gets checked and zip-tied, if it's concealed, it stays concealed.

They threw out a guy for going to unholster his carry piece, the dealer stopped him mid draw. That got some feathers ruffled, and he's now banned from all of that promoters shows.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post