SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I don't like the drop-by
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't like the drop-by Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Particularly, I don't like the unannounced drop-by.

You are more than welcome to come to my home pretty much any time. But, before you come, call ahead and let me know you are coming.

There is a very small handful of people...three...who are allowed anytime with or without a call, and you are not one of them. (Funny thing is, those three always call even though they don't need to.)

There is a really good reason that I live 5+ miles out of town at the end of a road.

Oh, and when I inform you of this rule, don't act like a just kicked your puppy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Fine! I was going to surprise you but I guess I'll just do something else. Sheesh.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local businessman has a sign that says: "State your business and then leave." He runs a concrete and dirt fill business and takes no gaff from anyone. In his mid 70s he still gets into fist fights. He was proud of the fact that it took two shots from a Taser to bring him to his knees with the cops showed up to arrest him. He has done well in business, is worth several million dollars at least.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t agree more! Thankfully, even my neighbor knows to call first or I won’t answer the door.

While living in the Tampa Bay Area about twelve years ago I had a couple of friends show up one week night unannounced because one of them had just gotten back into town after several months of working in Charlotte as an aircraft mechanic. I met them at the door with my Beretta 8045 in hand and reminded them to call next time and I believe they got the message. And the only reason I let them in is because my buddy had brought some hooch from NC with him.

Thankfully, here in Oklahoma people are a little more considerate and understand that I don’t want company in my house because I go home to get away from those fools.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone calls before they come to my house. Okay, let's get honest, no one comes to my house but if they did, they would call first. And I go out of my way not to get tazed. I'm also kinda proud of the fact I haven't gotten in a fistfight in quite some time. But then, I'm not worth several million dollars either.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The only drop by's we get are the 7th day Adventists, about once or twice a year. I politely accept their hand out and end the conversation right there, politely. Anyone else knows to at least text us when they're on the way over. Now, with our new fencing, no one can even get to the front door. I mounted a remote doorbell next to the fence gate, for the occasional delivery that needs a sig.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend in Pennsylvania told me he didn't like his Parole Officer dropping by at any hour.

He was told he had an option.....that he could go back to Prison.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The only drop by's we get are the 7th day Adventists, about once or twice a year. I politely accept their hand out and end the conversation right there, politely. Anyone else knows to at least text us when they're on the way over. Now, with our new fencing, no one can even get to the front door. I mounted a remote doorbell next to the fence gate, for the occasional delivery that needs a sig.

I prefer the two Mormons on the bicycles. Always nice sincere guys. We chat for awhile, I compliment them on their zeal and enthusiasm but I explain, that trying to convert someone, who's been a Catholic for 75 years, is an exercise in futility.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
trying to convert someone, who's been a Catholic for 75 years, is an exercise in futility.
Offer to convert them to Judaism. They probably did not have a bris when they were eight days old, but better late than never.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's sister and her family love to do this. More often than not we aren't at home. Then they get pissed that they drove all (unannounced) the way to see us and we had the gall to have some other plans that we didn't inform them of. It pisses me off - the demand on our time and for making me feel guilty about doing something other than sitting around and waiting for them to show up at our door.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is that I cherish my privacy. I like my home out in the boonies where I can do what I want, when I want, and with whom I want, and nobody knows about any of it. I like that.

And, when I guarantee that "whom" the same level of privacy, it is, and should be, understandable that both I and she get a little upset when you show up standing at my glass door early on a Saturday morning completely unannounced. I hope you got a good eyefull.

It is nothing more than common courtesy, which is uncommon these days. There are things that you just don't do, and dropping by without a call first is one of them. Emergencies excepted.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Bottom line is that I cherish my privacy. I like my home out in the boonies where I can do what I want, when I want, and with whom I want, and nobody knows about any of it. I like that.

And, when I guarantee that "whom" the same level of privacy, it is, and should be, understandable that both I and she get a little upset when you show up standing at my glass door early on a Saturday morning completely unannounced. I hope you got a good eyefull.

It is nothing more than common courtesy, which is uncommon these days. There are things that you just don't do, and dropping by without a call first is one of them. Emergencies excepted.

Yes sir.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
I wonder what our Grand Parents did back in the day. If someone drops by for a short visit I treat them the same as any visiter.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I agree, I quick text or phone call is not lost on me. Yesterday, I was going to stop by our daughter's God parents house to pee, she is 2 so when she wants to pee we stop. I stop down the street and called and thank goodness I did, they were having a small family emergency and I am thankful we didn't just pull up to that.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither my wife nor I appreciate unannounced calls. Generally we don't have people at our house at all. It's not a meeting center nor social hall.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will usually text friends/family before stopping by. They don't usually return the favor, but I am not home and awake often so...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
I don't bother to even look who is at the door when the bell rings and haven't for years as Black Dog took care of any knockabouts or meat sellers!

The lawn folks, gas man, turf people, and generator service folks know the drill when they come and don't bother us.

Our daughter and granddaughter know to text or call before coming in and how we do stuff.

We both have outside light controls from both sides of our beds if Billy Bobs are poking around trying to shoot deer in the horse field across the road at night and then they move on or we just hit one of the alarms...

...too many peckerwoods astir up to shit so someone usually always around or a house sitter there!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I prefer the two Mormons on the bicycles. Always nice sincere guys. We chat for awhile, I compliment them on their zeal and enthusiasm but I explain, that trying to convert someone, who's been a Catholic for 75 years, is an exercise in futility.

I haven't seen a Mormon missionary since I moved to AZ, yet we're right in the middle of some Mormon territory. I agree, they were always pleasant, and I even once accepted their book to look at.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I slid the curtain aside to see who was at the front door, and saw the mother in law had dropped by unannounced. Slid the curtain back, sat back on the couch and eventually she went away. LMFAO.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post