SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SS# Stolen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SS# Stolen Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Great, just got a letter from the IRS stating I owe $5k in cases from 2005. Someone in Texas used my SS# on their W-2 to file their taxes. I've never lived or worked in Texas. My Enrolled Agent is filing a response to the IRS for me. Probably end up being nothing other than a PITA for me. Now I just have togged copies of my credit report and make sure nothing is popping up on this either.

Argh!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas, not a surprise there. Sadly this is pretty common. It is unusual for this to show up 12 years later.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You do have a 'credit freeze' on yourself too, right?? And wife if that applies.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
You do have a 'credit freeze' on yourself too, right?? And wife if that applies.

And Maya. No, I'm not kidding. Stealing SSNs from kids is sometimes easier b/c nobody is ever checking their credit.

As long as you're going to be in lock down mode (which you should be), make sure all your bases are covered.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Make sure he files a 14039 form and see this link:

The IRS, once informed of the ID theft. will lock down your account and prevent e-filing going forward until they can assign you an IP PIN (6 digit Identity protection PIN). It's likely too late in the year for them to process the ID Theft issue (takes a long time) and to get you an IPPIN for the 2017 filing season. If they do give you one, it will come in the form of a letter in late December or early January. Without the IPPIN, you'll have to file on paper. IRS will issue a new IPPIN to you every year so watch for that letter and give it to your preparer with your tax documents.

And, when you do file on paper, have the EA include a copy of your drivers license and passport, if you have one, with the return. It will get the return processed faster than if no ID info is attached. - I do that for both the H & W on a joint return to speed things up. Because the account is "locked down" a person will have to look at the paper return before letting it get processed so the attached ID info helps them to know it's a legitimate return and they can let it go on through.

Also, suggest you make sure you are not overpaid significantly (adjust your withholding now ) because the delayed processing is going to delay any potential refund. These are cases where you want to owe them.

IRS ID Theft info

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This kind of thing really ticks me off.
So many things now require you give your SS#
I have even tried to refuse to give it and could not or could not do business.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

Most Hospitals, Doctors, and Banks will now accept the last 4 digits of your Social instead of the full number. Because it's been found that many ID thefts of this nature START in these institutions due to the low pay granted to clerical types with full access to this type of data.

I ONLY will give the last 4 digits of my social and if the institution or business insists they have to have the complete number I vote with my feet and go somewhere else.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
You do have a 'credit freeze' on yourself too, right??

The way to go. A bit of a pain when you need to apply for credit, but well worth the peace of mind otherwise.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Most Hospitals, Doctors, and Banks will now accept the last 4 digits of your Social instead of the full number. Because it's been found that many ID thefts of this nature START in these institutions due to the low pay granted to clerical types with full access to this type of data.

I ONLY will give the last 4 digits of my social and if the institution or business insists they have to have the complete number I vote with my feet and go somewhere else.
Banks must have the number if you want to open an account. Not the bank's idea, the feds require it. However, I'm not sure whether they verify it.

Here are a couple of useful Social Security numbers:
  • 078-05-1120: The "Woolworth" SSN. Back when there was a Woolworth 5 & 10 cent store in every town, if you bought a wallet from Woolworth, there was a "sample" Social Security card in the wallet with this number.

• 562-10-0296: Walt Disney. Who doesn't love The Mouse?

• 552-38-5014: Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel. Just pull this one out of your hat when you need it.

• 536-90-4399: Walter Valentino Liberace. And a one, and a two ...

• 567-68-0515: Richard Nixon. Use this one only if you are not a crook.

• 409-52-2002: Elvis Presley. Sure to impress!
Feel free to use any of these if a business that has no legal right to your Social Security number demands it. I do it. First, I tell them that my SSN is none of their business, but if they insist, and if I do want their products / services, I give them a number. I have been doing this for years, never had a problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Might be interesting to ask the IRS for back copies of all of 'your' returns.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
welcome to the club!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post