SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subway - Have they lost their minds?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subway - Have they lost their minds? Login/Join 
posted
I know Subway is pretty much vile but I have a teenage daughter who does like the spicy Italian sub and has a very busy schedule so it works in a pinch. The only redeeming quality Subway had beyond that was they were fast and cheap...Not anymore!

I went in yesterday to get my daughter he 6" spicy with a bag of chips and when I went to pay I was shocked that what was always an under $5.00 order was now almost $8.00. After looking at the menu I saw that they jacked up all their prices significantly.

Now, I dont mind paying a few extra bucks for a decent sub but Subway aint it.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The president of my group, aka picky adult eater, LOVES subway.

BMT on white, olives, salt and pepper. That's it. No cheese, sauce, condiment or other redeeming vegetables. Roll Eyes

Never paid attention to how much they are when buying these on way to meetings with him, but if even a dollar it's TOO much.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Subway near hear, the Spicy Italian 6-inch (my usual choice when I go to Subway) is $4.19, up thirty cents from $3.89

The foot long is still $4.99

Eight bucks for a four dollar sandwich and a bag of chips does not sound right.

Either there is a heck of a price difference between Florida and Arizona, or the Sandwich Artist did not ring your order correctly.

Several times recently, I have questioned the amount that I was charged at fast food places, and each time that I questioned it, it turned out that the clerk had made an error.

The error is always in their favor. Must be coincidence.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
The president of my group, aka picky adult eater, LOVES subway.

BMT on white, olives, salt and pepper. That's it. No cheese, sauce, condiment or other redeeming vegetables. Roll Eyes

Never paid attention to how much they are when buying these on way to meetings with him, but if even a dollar it's TOO much.

Funny, my kid likes hers just meat and cheese, no condiments and I agree but it was much more tolerable when i could get her a $5.00 footlong and she would eat it over a couple of days...Now that they have almost doubled their prices it is a no go, there are plenty of better places at the higer price point

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Publix or another sub shop compared to Subway. The prices before were not bad for a yoga mat bread sandwich.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Subway here has bad air. Whenever we leave the place our clothes smell like hork. I think it’s their delicious stink-cheese bread.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I like a BMT 6" from time to time. I had one last week and it's still 5 bucks and change here. Their new wraps are $8 so maybe they just rang it up wrong.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
^^^
Not a fan of subway but their stinky stores are the pits. All of the food has the same stink, their napkins, drinks, my clothes.

It is not a foul smell (not pleasant either) but I associate that smell with crappy food.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I just wonder how they manage to make semi edible ham out of plastic.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have got stop at Subways on road trips because she is a vegetarian and it is the best/easiest way for her to get what she wants.. a salad between two pieces of bread (she doesn't eat the bread).... last week on a trip we stopped and she got me a foot long club and her a 6" veggie with chips and drinks it was almost $22...

Now what really burns my butt (not the hot sauce) and not the cost but that I have to stand there and tell them how to make a sandwich. I should be able to walk in and tell them to make me a Number what ever and they don't ask me a damn thing but just make the sandwich.... We have a deli pizza place here in town that actually has a decent sandwich like this,, it is called a "leave it to us."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I like their chicken bacon ranch on Italian. I'll usually add onions, spinach, and tomatoes.

It's a good lunch...and fairly healthy.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subway sucks and the only think worse is Blimpie. Publix is better followed by Jimmy Johns.

I'd rather just get a hamburger or BBQ pork sandwich at a local joint.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's why:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.561d506c60ad

quote:
The $5 foot-long as the world knows it is no more.

In an interview with USA Today, Subway CEO Trevor Haynes revealed that the company will no longer require franchisees to run the special. In recent years, the promotion had become a contentious point among store owners, some of whom felt the deal did not help their profitability. Moving ahead, owners will be able to decide on their own whether they want to use the offer, according to the paper.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually get a foot long and even the most expensive sandwich they have is usually only $8-9 for a foot long (many of them are $5-6)

I usually don’t get chips so either their chips are outrageously priced (I’ve never really looked) or the subway you went to just wants to charge more.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Subway for me. The local Yooper grocery store makes a great sub.
And our local sub shop - Togos - is excellent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm hungry for Subway now. I'll have to stop there on the way to work tonight. I never go there without a coupon though. Also usually only go when everything else is closed. There's a 24 hour one attached to a Circle K a couple miles away from work.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I remember them damn $5 footlong commercials when I was in Alaska. The MF'ers were playing Lower 48 commercials in Alaska, but charging $8.99 for footlongs.

I agree that the quality of bread and produce has gone downhill considerably. The local one has $5.49 (cold cut combo) to $7.99 (sweet onion chicken teriyaki) for footlongs.

We had a thread on here a few months back recommending Jersey Mike's and Firehouse. I've tried both and both are vastly superior to Subway for more or less the same price. Jersey Mike's has very good cold subs and Firehouse has very good hot subs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Harris Teeter subs are my favorite. Boars Head, overflowing with meat, and good condiments.

My favorite was a sub I designed at a pizza place I worked at years ago. I believe it was the bread that we used that made it so good. The pizzas were just okay. That sub was so good, and the pay so low, that I would often tell the owner I would just work for my dinner that night. I didn't make much of any money after paying my gas, but it kept me from going to town and doing anything stupid with the little bit of money I did have on weekend nights!

I can tolerate Subway, but it would be very low on the list of sub places I would want.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Subway is nasty. There are much better choices around here for a sub.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Subway used to be the Little Caesars of the sandwich world. A mediocre product, for a fair and cheap price. Little Caesars still excells with that model, and even manages to sell premium pizzas these days for considerably more money.

Subway seems to have taken another path. They sell the same mediocre sandwich, but for a premium price. I can pay just over $10 for a footlong Subway Club, or I can go to any number of other places and get a really good sandwich for the same price. They've priced themselves out of their niche as far as I'm concerned.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post