SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I think hanging up on someone is one of the rudest things one can do.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think hanging up on someone is one of the rudest things one can do. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
And I've just done it. I can't say I'm happy with it or proud of it, but -- doggone it -- it had to be done.
I was not about to spend any further time arguing. Stopping the conversation altogether seemed the better option.

I felt bad about it; I called back --> no answer. I suppose I deserved that.

Still makes me a unhappy that I had to do it in the first place.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’m with you. I hate both having it done to me (even when I know I warranted it) and doing it. It can be awfully gratifying to hang-up at the time; I have also usually regretted it later.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've done it.
I got home on a Sat. after a long week, cracked a beer, sat down to watch a race, and the phone rings.
One of my siblings screaming at me about another sibling.
"Not my problem." CLICK
She called back and told me "How dare you...!"
I made it a twofer.
I was perfectly fine w/ my behavior.

She knows the treatment she gives her husband and children will not go over w/ me.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I've apologized for it by text... still no response.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Family members and friends...yeah that's not good.

I have told someone (I won't specify which group) "Do NOT call me when you're drunk. Call me back when you've sobered up. Good Bye." And then hung up in their ear.

Telemarketers and political horseshit? Ker-SLAM!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
My sister hung up on my dad in 1993. I still remember it. They reconciled a few years ago.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
People no longer know the satisfaction of slamming down the handset of their phone in anger to end a phone call. Pushing the END button simply isn’t anywhere near as gratifying.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
People no longer know the satisfaction of slamming down the handset of their phone in anger to end a phone call. Pushing the END button simply isn’t anywhere near as gratifying.

This. Slamming the handset, on a phone that has a proper bell in it, that's the way to do it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with it when it's warranted.

Some people just need to be hung up on.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I dislike talking on the phone in the first place. Idiots who call with unsolicited advice, shit for sale, surveys, etc can expect their phone call to last about 2 seconds.

My hearing aids do not help me much while talking on the phone, so there is that aspect as well.

What the hell ever happened to that "do not call" program/list?

And for serious calls, do not start off with some pre-recorded BS!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

This. Slamming the handset, on a phone that has a proper bell in it, that's the way to do it.

Those old bakelite phones were tough - you could slam them without fear of damage

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:

Those old bakelite phones were tough - you could slam them without fear of damage

TRUTH.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://youtu.be/caDNtCG1WsE?t=19s

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Can't think of the last time I've done this in a few decades. Until last week.

For the second night in a row started getting texts and pics from a sister at 1, 2, 3 in the morning. After five or so hit all at the same time at 0239 I called her and explained that when you hit send, that shit comes out on the other end somewhere else. For folks who can turn off or silence phone not problem. For folks who are on perpetual call for critical issues that is just impossible to ignore. Just. Don't. DO. IT! Then hung up to go back to bed and steam.

Haven't heard from her since, and don't expect to for weeks, possibly months. Not sure how she's going to tell others what an asshole I am in a story that starts with "After I was texting him at 2:30 in the morning......"

Mad

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my go home route years ago was thru a no cell or spotty cell area,

usually, if I was on the phone, I would say something like 'I'm hitting a no cell or dead cell zone, can I call you back later' etc etc,

was chatting with the wife one day, and forgot where I was,, and dropped call,

a few minutes later, before I could dial back, she called, pissed,

then realized where I was and all was good,

fortunately, I have switched providers and Verizon has very few of those areas around here

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:

There’s an idea for an app. There could be a special END icon that would really deliver a bang.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Advanced technique honed over the years.

If you want to end the conversation but don't want to be quite up to the level of hanging up, but can't bring to a close, terminate call in the middle of YOUR sentence, not theirs.

Then when they can't call you back you obviously drove out of coverage.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I like the advanced technique on telemarketers, after they think I’m interested. They won’t hesitate to hang up on you the minute they believe you’re not interested, so why not play with them a bit?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think hanging up on someone is one of the rudest things one can do

Absolutely not rude, when they, whoever they may be, deserve it.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone hung up on me recently.
I answered the phone and it was a pre-recorded spiel about knee and back braces. After the recording, a real live dude came on the line and set me up nicely.
He said "may I ask where your pain is"?
I said "its in my ass, since you idiots keep calling me five or six times every day"!
He hung up. I never did get to hear about the braces.
A land line phone once was a great convenience. Now its an instrument of insanity.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post