SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    On the bubble for lay off

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
On the bubble for lay off Login/Join 
I've got a cunning plan
Picture of chadw659
posted
For the last year the company I work for has been losing money hand over fist and back in November they started throwing the words "Reduction in Force" around. My supervisor and I talked about it on multiple occasions and he has always been overly optimistic that we wouldn't lose anyone from our section.

So, just before Christmas a notice comes out offering the level below me a chance to transfer to another office. I immediately call my supervisor and ask if it is a sign that if no one takes the transfer, we'll lose someone. He can't confirm but, agrees I'm on the right track. I ask how my position looks and am told all is fine.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I'm told that someone is getting let go and that their termination was to save another employee and my jobs.

While I'm glad I dodged the bullet, I'm more than a little angry that I was in the running to be let go. I'm one of three people at my level and the other two are eligible to retire. I was going to get let go due to seniority. I'd be good at this point if it was over but, my supervisor told me that if the company didn't see the decrease in losses they were looking for, they'll cut another set of people.

I now know that I'm in the group to go in the next batch and now have to wait and see. I hate to leave since I have 15 years in and 12 to go retirement, and would rather not have to start over. I'm now just going to start getting my house in order to be as close to debt free if they do it and brush up my resume. About the only way to clear up debt is to sell my guns and am rather bummed about the issue.

I guess this is a rather selfish post but, needed to say it somewhere.

Posts: 978 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: October 23, 2001Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm one of three people at my level and the other two are eligible to retire. I was going to get let go due to seniority

great system that seniority thing. Roll Eyes

sorry you might be on the block.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 7134 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If it helps, it's nothing personal. Just strictly business.

My last company looked at people in the same way as pens. "We have the budget for it and they're pretty handy so let's bring in some pens."

"Cash flow is tight, we need to stop buying pens and we'll actually need to get rid of some pens."

Business is about profit and loss and margins. If the company is not making enough margin, they'll look to cut costs.

Yeah, you probably know all this already and it doesn't help you feel better knowing. I commiserate with you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 13203 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My sympathies to the OP.

One thing that always pissed me off was the whole "company loyalty" thing.

As an employee, I was expected to be "loyal" to my company, working all the overtime they threw at me, sucking it up when promised pay raises didn't materialize, doing jobs WAY out of my paygrade so the company wouldn't have to hire a high-priced pro (and not getting the first thin dime for my efforts), working 40+ weekends per year, etc. etc.

But the instant it was convenient for the company, it's "The door is over there, don't let it hit you in the ass."

Even better, they vehemently denied rumors of the company being sold right up to Wednesday when the the front office said "Friday is the last day, get your shit out before the doors are locked." Fortunately, I'd seen the writing on the wall and bailed a couple of months prior to that, but a lot of people got screwed on that one.

Posts: 9561 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
↑ That is why I roll my eyes when people say they want you to give two weeks' notice before you quit.

"My wife is dragging me to this stupid play. Somebody please kill me."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 19237 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Getting your house in order is the best thing you can do if you can afford it. My wife and I did this back in 2004 when we could afford to do it. We were both working making good money and did no touch any of our emergency money/retirement money to do it.
Paid off the house and the cars. At the time we did not have much left on our home to pay off.
We have never carried any credit card debt so we were good there.
In January 2009 I was laid off from my job. Over the next few month my wife lost benefits and her pay was restructured.
Because we paid off our debt even though our income was greatly reduced we were ok. We would not lose anything.
The one thing it did affect was our ability to save for retirement. It took a few years to get back on tract and we are still not where we would like to be toward retirement savings.
Good luck

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State
_________________________________________________________________________________

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1055 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I thought I was safe, put a big chunk of money into a house project. Got let go the next day. Not due to budget, just the owner feeling things needed to end before bridges were burnt.

Now it's been close to 4 months. I wrecked myself working for that company, and the last thing I want to do now is add that kind of commitment and stress back into my life. I'm debating taking a 50% pay cut to keep the lights on to work at a no-stress, no-responsibility position.

I keep telling myself I need to find a job, but every time I look I really don't have the heart to go after a position I'm capable and qualified for.

Posts: 5362 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Agreed no the company loyalty thing. How it ever became that way I'll never know, as it's such a one-way street.

I'm actually on unpaid leave now, pending the possible award of a new contract. This, despite the fact I've been near 100% billable my entire 10 years with the company. Our division has been sold twice, my severance went from one month for every year to a maximum of two months (and I'll be glad for that, but still...).

And I'm in limbo now - not really unemployed as there's this new contract possibility, which I'd enjoy, but not really employed either. So I can't really look seriously for a new job.

So I feel your pain.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

Posts: 2182 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you just putting off the inevitable? Maybe better to brush up and move on now. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 10395 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Are you just putting off the inevitable? Maybe better to brush up and move on now. It's always easier to get a job when you already have one.

This! And I wouldn't tell prospective companies that the reason for the change is imminent professional doom, either. Only lessens your bargaining power.

Posts: 549 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:

This! And I wouldn't tell prospective companies that the reason for the change is imminent professional doom, either. Only lessens your bargaining power.
+1000

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yes!!! Start preparing now rather than after!

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
quote:

+1000

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 2280 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. I've been there. It really sucks, especially if you don't see it coming. I agree it may be better to start looking sooner than later.
Good luck.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

posted Hide Post
Sorry for you.
Been there too. Working in the auto industry as I did, sucked for that reason. I got laid off a lot. For 3 years one time and 5 another time. Never knew if I would get back. Hard on finances.
I went back to school twice.
Good luck.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
BFA Member

Posts: 1583 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This seems to be happening to more and more people I know.

My wife and I went through layers of RIFs at one company. The CEO and officers kept talking about "working together" and "making sacrifices". Benefits were reduced, you couldn't get equipment you needed, etc.
We saw many friends lose their houses.

We made it through four RIFs in that year and got caught in the fifth one...

What chapped my bottom the most was that when the company pilots (2 of whom were laid off) told me that every time the company Lear Jet flew, it equaled the cost of a year's pay for an average company employee.
(Which in RIF environments means every time it flies for non-business reasons someone loses their job).

The day my entire department (sans 3 people) was RIFed I stopped at a gas station and as I was filling the tank the Lear took off and flew right over me.

The CEO was taking his wife Christmas shopping in NYC.

Posts: 663 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Report This Post