SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Solicitation calls at 8:45 pm. REALLY?!?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solicitation calls at 8:45 pm. REALLY?!? Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Phone just rang and the number was not in my contact list. I decided to answer it anyway, simply because it's 8:45 pm and I am NOT gonna take that crap from ANYONE that's not family or a close friend.

Me: Hello?

Caller: Hello. May I please speak to [my name]

Me: Sir...it's 8:45 at night and I don't take calls past 6:00 pm unless you're calling to give my five million dollars.

Caller: [Chuckling] I do apologize for that sir, but...

Me: Nope...thanks for calling. Bye Bye. [CLICK]

Pisses me right the hell off. Don't know who it was. Don't CARE who it was. There's not a company in this WORLD that has anything to offer me at 8:45 at night. Number was PROMPTLY added to my BLOCK CALLER list on my iPhone.

(512) 312-7829 out of Buda, TX.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you were triggered. You must be an early riser. Just messing with you. Check your stress level though....

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
HAHA!!! Welllll...the Predators had JUST allowed 2 goals within 0:43 seconds. So.....

Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, the FTC regulation is no marketing calls after 9pm. But I rarely feel like doling anything out after 8-ish myself.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was calling you to give you four million dollars, but since you are not accepting anything less than five million, I'll move on to the next person on my karma list.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Yep, the assholes have until 9pm.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use the Do Not Disturb function on my iPhone on a scheduled basis. DND starts at 6:00pm and ends at 6:00am.

You can also have exceptions to DND. You can allow anyone in your Contacts to call when DND is on, or you can create a special group an only those can call. I have two in my special group (my wife, and a neighbor whose wife has Alzheimers). Only those two can ring through when DND is on. I gave each one of them a unique ring tone.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So how are they going to limit the calls when they can't stop the annoying ones all day long?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have a 303 area code phone number (Colorado), but spend 90% of my time on the east coast. So 9PM is actually 11PM. I almost always have my ringer off.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was getting soooooo many of those calls that I was thinking of turning my phone off and simply checking it from time to time to see if anyone I cared about had called.

Then, like Henryaz, I figured out the Do Not Disturb function. No calls ring except those in my contact list. All go to my voicemail where I have recorded a slightly humorous explanation and ask the caller to leave a voicemail if he/she's not selling anything and assure the caller that I will add him/her to my contact list IF he's not selling extended warranties, etc.

Works perfectly so far (last 5 months) and I NEVER have a call ring that is not on my list of contacts.

Callers not on my contact list still have can leave a voicemail so that I can call them back, assuming legitimacy.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
If you have at&t you can download their app that will automatically screen your calls for numbers either known to be telemarketers/robo or reported by the hive mind enough to be blocked. It has reduced the bs calls I get by about 90%.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am hearing impaired so I keep the ringer turned off and let all calls go to voicemail.

Google Voice has had speech-to-text for a long time, I can read the voicemail messages.

A similar speech-to-text feature for voicemail appeared as a new feature in a recent release of Apple's iOS.

Most telemarketers do not leave a message, so the only chicken tracks they leave are missed calls, which I don't pay any attention to. People who actually know me will leave a message, or more frequently, use text or email.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not answer any calls if I don’t recognize the number on caller ID. My wife gets aggravated. I just say if you want to talk, you answer it.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
If you have at&t you can download their app that will automatically screen your calls for numbers either known to be telemarketers/robo or reported by the hive mind enough to be blocked. It has reduced the bs calls I get by about 90%.
I have AT&T cell service...please explain how this works and how to "activate" it? Thanks!!

posted Hide Post
We recently moved to Alaska, i have a 804 (Virginia) number and my wife has a 228 (Mississippi) number.

We have been getting calls before 6am for the past week about our cars extended warranty, i actually talked to one of them and after he learned that my truck has over 200k miles he promptly hung up. Jackass.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think the app is att call protect. It won’t let me try it since I am on firstnet is my guess. I installed it when I switched from TMO. My kids are on ATT but they never get robo calls.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I still don't understand people who answer the phone if the number comes up as an unknown one or not a saved one.

If it's important, they will leave a message, it's as simple as that.

8:45 pm to me is not to late for people to be calling me, but then again I'm a night owl.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I have AT&T cell service...please explain how this works and how to "activate" it? Thanks!!

It's called Call Protect. Just download it from the App Store. If you pay an extra few bucks a month it also doubles as a caller id if the number is a known to ATT business or person when not saved in your phone. It's been useful.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I answer solicitation calls, start breathing heavy and ask them if they're wearing any clothes. Calls end pretty quick at that point.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post