SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day..... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Wtf? I'm going to invent Give Your Husband a BJ Day so I can act all indignant and shitty all day when nothing happens.

Yes, I didn't get my wife anything for "Sweetest Day" so she was crabby all day. Never mind the show we went to last night just for her, or trying to take care of her being sick this week... Bullshit holidays. I don't have all fucking day to go shopping while my son is in school and my spouse is at work ...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Uh, hate to break it to you but Steak and a Blowjob Day (March 14) has been around for years...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup, my husband tries telling me that every year around Mar 14

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
It's a holiday every bit as real as Valentine's Day. There is a website and they even have a judge to give rulings on March 14th etiquette.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
It's a holiday every bit as real as Valentine's Day. There is a website and they even have a judge to give rulings on March 14th etiquette.

<snickers>

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
At first I was like "What the hell is he talking about with this "Sweetest Day" thing?

Then I looked it up and didn't feel so bad. It's a Midwest thing. We Southerners aren't burdened by it. LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
March 14, my wife says she's still with holding for April 15.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this BS, either. 2/14 is enough of that type of crap.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Would it be that hard to just buy her some chocolate? You may even get a BJ out of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Would it be that hard to just buy her some chocolate? You may even get a BJ out of it.

You missed my point. I forgot about it, and even if I had remembered when was I supposed to do that? Been gone for a month travelling to Mexico and Michigan, and the few days I've been home have been very busy. The night before we all went to a Haloween show and had a nice family outing, this was after my son's Tae Kwon Do class and after my wife's Dr. appt which was after work. I just don't think I deserve the attitude for missing a made up stupid holiday.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You'd better start programming every occasion that's important to your wife into your smartphone calendar.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
At first I was like "What the hell is he talking about with this "Sweetest Day" thing?

Then I looked it up and didn't feel so bad. It's a Midwest thing. We Southerners aren't burdened by it. LOL
FWIW, Wikipedia only lists 10 states that have adopted Sweetest Day and the OP doesn't live in one of them.
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

You missed my point. I forgot about it, and even if I had remembered when was I supposed to do that? Been gone for a month travelling to Mexico and Michigan, and the few days I've been home have been very busy. The night before we all went to a Haloween show and had a nice family outing, this was after my son's Tae Kwon Do class and after my wife's Dr. appt which was after work. I just don't think I deserve the attitude for missing a made up stupid holiday.
I'm on your side on this faux holiday, but the can't buy chocolate or flowers argument is like jumping off a cliff and building wings on the way down. For example, you were on Sigforum the entire month which makes it hard to say you could not have bought flowers or chocolate on-line.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I really do love my wife the "oops" thread above notwithstanding.

One of the reasons is she completely ignores virtually all holidays. Yes, even Christmas. A few cards, some with a couple of bucks tucked in them for grandkids, and that's it.

We don't do each other's birthday, we ignore Valentine's Day, never even heard of this "Sweetest" bullshit, mention our anniversary in passing: "Jesus, has it been 43 years already?".

If she wants something, we get it, we don't wait for some artificial occasion. Same for me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Wth is sweetheart day?

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 226Reasons:
Wth is sweetheart day?

"Hallmark" holiday created so high school and college students that have a different bf/gf each semester get to buy cards and flowers in the fall term and not just in the spring for Valentines day.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of this Sweetest Day and was wondering why you were mentioning Valentine's Day in October. Big Grin

Makes me glad that bryan11 and I don't do gifts for holidays.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by brecaidra:
I've never heard of this Sweetest Day and was wondering why you were mentioning Valentine's Day in October. Big Grin [QUOTE]
+1. I had to Goolge it.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We just exchange cards on February 14th.

Now March 14? I buy the steaks. Wink

Posts: 11221 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by 226Reasons:
Wth is sweetheart day?

"Hallmark" holiday created so high school and college students that have a different bf/gf each semester get to buy cards and flowers in the fall term and not just in the spring for Valentines day.

Aren’t they all bullshit hallmark holidays? You don’t need a hallmark day to sweet up the wife, or pay respect to your Father, Mother, etc. The worst is Christmas. It’s a day to celebrate Christ. Help a stranger, help someone in dire need. Nope, they’ll be on the road, stressed, driving like a-holes in their mass consumer product buying frenzy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post