SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Potential Forgiveness of Student Loans?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential Forgiveness of Student Loans? Login/Join 
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
We should get rid of government guarantees on student loans altogether. Let the colleges and universities use their endowments to underwrite loans to their students.

They would be much more choosy as to what degree programs they would support with their own money.

At the same time, take the bankruptcy protection away too.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy guys - what's wrong with spending $200K at Harvard for a 4-year Political Science degree?

After all - don't we need more educated bartenders and valets?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I honestly feel like a chump for teaching my kids to be financially responsible. They lived modestly so they could pay off student debt. Their friend driven newer nicer cars, live in bigger and more expensive homes, and take fancy/expensive vacations. They have shirked their student debt payments (they openly admit they either make minimum payments or don't make payments).

Irresponsible people are in control and continue to find ways to benefit at others expenses.

If they have to move forward with this foolishness put an incentive in the system. Forgive the last $10k (make them pay down to the amount that's forgiven).

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What about people like me who didn’t go to college and have worked since the age of 15?

I want my check!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

What about people like me who didn’t go to college and have worked since the age of 15?

I want my check!
Sorry, no check for you. Don't be greedy. After all, that money is needed to pay the student loans of the moochers and leeches, who will then vote for politicians who promise to perpetuate this system.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Easy guys - what's wrong with spending $200K at Harvard for a 4-year Political Science degree?

After all - don't we need more educated bartenders and valets?

Easy there! My BA degree is Poli Sci, & although I went to the Univ of TN to get it, I never mixed a drink nor parked a car! However, I was deployed to some real shitty places all over the world during my 25 years on active duty with the USAF.

MSgt, USAF (Retired)

Posts: 78 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Now I like that Idea

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I 100% worked my way through college. Every paycheck went into paying my tuition and books.

I did it right out of high school and lived at home. When I graduated, my parents suggested I move out.

That day and sent me on my way.

My last hire was so overburdened with college loan debt, he couldn't afford his apartment.

However his skills didn't match his bragging about how great his school was.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

I want my check!
You and your friggin' White Privilege!!! Razz

As to the subject at hand, there are people graduating Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with STAGGERING amounts of student debt...some to the tune of $250,000 and UP!! That is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!!

I, like so many of us here, had to fall back on student loans to get through college. I was absolutely BLESSED to qualify for BEOG (now Pell Grant) up through the first semester of my Junior year. For the last 3 semesters, however, I did not qualify because I got a part time job and I guess the gubmit figured I was making enough to pay my tuition, books, etc., when that money was barely enough to put gas in the car. Therefore, I took out a low-interest 1% student loan for those last 3 semesters. Guess what? Paid that shit off as soon as freaking humanly possible the day I started my first job. Sorry...I ain't no gravy train or suguh daddy for some schlub that got some USELESS degree in Diversity Studies and now can't find work. Figure it out. I had to.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are going to forgive student loans, shouldn't people who have paid off their student loans get a rebate. And shouldn't the rest of the people who didn't use their free student loan money also get the same amount of $?

Who's paying for all this.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what I have to do to qualify for student loan forgiveness.

Then I'd like to know what I have to do to qualify for a student loan and is it too late?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a gift to the universities for teaching students to be leftists

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to see how much the professors and other employees earn. I got the link to the Univ Of Tenn salary database which is a matter of public record. Take a look at some of these salaries, it will blow your mind. Also, factor in these are jobs for life, if the person so desires. I've never heard of any academics being laid off. It probably takes an act of the state legislature to fire someone.

https://data.tennessee.edu/salary-database/

There are hundreds of them making over $100K. I guess I picked the wrong line of work!

MSgt, USAF (Retired)

Posts: 78 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
So, this mutual fund in my retirement portfolio holding X-millions in federally-guaranteed student loans is a bad investment?
It's a solid investment because loans will get repaid, but not by the borrower. They'll be repaid by you and me, and our children's children, and so on.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Who put a gun to their head and forced them to take out that student loan??? Nowdays they are spoiled brats and consider themselves privilidged and special. Just like the sport jocks that drop out of school to join the major sports teams for unholy amounts of money without completing their education using scholarship money that could have went to deserving student. They should be forced to repay 3x the entire cost of the scholarship if they leave prior to graduation...... I am not happy when we have something and having to give up things to those that refuse to work and get things for themselves.... Remember when the Russian leader stood up in front of the United Nations Assembly and while pounding his shoe on the podium and saying to the American people that "We will bury you from within without firing a shot". That day is a lot closer than people care to admit.. ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1999 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, factor in these are jobs for life, if the person so desires. I've never heard of any academics being laid off. It probably takes an act of the state legislature to fire someone.

^^^^^^^^^
That is not how it works. Most Professors have tenure unless they break one of the rules. Earning tenure takes years and a lot of work. Some never accomplish it. Professors without tenure are laid off all the time. The job is not easy having to produce research, teach undergrads and most importantly serve on committees and play complex political games. A PhD in Polymer Science can make triple the salary in the private sector.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
We should get rid of government guarantees on student loans altogether. Let the colleges and universities use their endowments to underwrite loans to their students.

They would be much more choosy as to what degree programs they would support with their own money.

At the same time, take the bankruptcy protection away too.

This would solve the problem going forward, no doubt.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKE-AX611:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I say people who graduated with onerous student debts should get some help. Thankfully, the $15 minimum wage will be coming soon so that the people earning minimum wage can help their better educated compatriots. They said trickle down economics has never worked so it's high time we try trickle up economics!

Why should they receive help? What entitles them to just be able to write off a legitimate debt they incurred? Maybe someone should repay my truck loan just because I don't want to repay it?

Taken all together, it was supposed to be taken as sarcasm that didn't need to be explained, especially with the trickle up economics and minimum wage workers helping to pay off student loans of college educated people who supposedly would qualify for better than minimum wage jobs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKE-AX611:

I wanted to see how much the professors and other employees earn. I got the link to the Univ Of Tenn salary database which is a matter of public record. Take a look at some of these salaries, it will blow your mind.

https://data.tennessee.edu/salary-database/

There are hundreds of them making over $100K. I guess I picked the wrong line of work!
A secretary being paid a quarter of a million annually. Secretary.

I guess I should have learned shorthand. I probably wouldn't have looked too good in a miniskirt, though.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Does this mean an end to all those robo-calls? Just the ones about extending my car warranty will continue?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post