SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ford fuel filter copy missed an important design feature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford fuel filter copy missed an important design feature Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Changing the fuel filter on my son's 1996 F250, apparently the aftermarket filter being replaced decided to scrimp on metal and didn't make the hose barbs on each end of the filter long enough to allow a release tool to fit between the filter body and the hose.

15 minute job becomes two hours, saw off barb and then try to figure out how to pull the sawed off part out of the hose. Tried to thread a tap into the broken part to make a puller but couldn't keep it from turning to thread it. Made a pulling tool out of a nail to fit inside the cut off hose barb by spinning the nail in a drill and filing the head to fit.

There's a reason the Motorcraft filter has an extra inch on each hose barb you dumb SOB rookie filter engineer!

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even without that, Ford had a bad habit back then of putting the fuel filter between the tank and frame, despite having several feet of unobstructed frame ahead of the tank.

quote:
saw off barb

With a saw, I hope, not a cutoff wheel.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is precisely the reason I no longer buy any aftermarket parts for my vehicle anymore. I buy OEM filters and other items.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
This is precisely the reason I no longer buy any aftermarket parts for my vehicle anymore. I buy OEM filters and other items.

Same here. I like it when the part actually fits.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
I believe all of the auto builders place a lot of the serviceable parts in inacessable/hard to reach locations with the intent of the average person either damages item either with improper tools/technique which might force the owner to bring vehicle into the dealership for proper repairs or to repair damage done by owner trying to fix it themselves. .... my2cts...... .....................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Even without that, Ford had a bad habit back then of putting the fuel filter between the tank and frame, despite having several feet of unobstructed frame ahead of the tank.

quote:
saw off barb

With a saw, I hope, not a cutoff wheel.

Hacksaw blade in a one handed blade holder. I wondered how much opportunity there was for a spark to cause ignition with a steel blade cutting steel.

The filter being between the tank and the frame was an annoyance, but nearly the least of my worries.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Think of all that money you saved with that non OEM part.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
I believe all of the auto builders place a lot of the serviceable parts in inacessable/hard to reach locations with the intent of the average person either damages item either with improper tools/technique which might force the owner to bring vehicle into the dealership for proper repairs or to repair damage done by owner trying to fix it themselves. .... my2cts...... .....................drill sgt.

I had an 04 VW Passat, which I actually really liked, but when the alternator died the shop had to take the whole front end off the car to replace it. I think it was 4 or 5 hours of labor.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Think of all that money you saved with that non OEM part.

The fubar filter was on the truck when my son bought it.

posted Hide Post
They make a metal scissors style release tool for the quick disconnect fittings that is pretty short and can get into places where the plastic ones can't.

THIS style:
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-A-...t-Tool/dp/B0092R2U32

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
OEM = Our Extra Money

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
OEM = Our Extra Money

In a lot of cases, OEM is not much more money than aftermarket. Especially wear items like filters and fluids. A lot of the brands that once meant quality in the aftermarket world are now Chinese crap. It doesn't pay to use aftermarket, because unless you're in the business, you don't know what aftermarket brands are good and what are garbage......all to save a few bucks........

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Thick flexible plastic. Used to work on prototype fuel assemblies. Sometimes they would get tight.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
OEM = Our Extra Money

LOL - that's what both of my grandfathers called it too.

The one grandfather who did his own vehicle maintenance always said - "buy American made and designed and stay away from that Japanese crap. They're still pissed off about losing the war and just trying to steal your money" (both of my grandfathers were WWII vets)

I think the Chinese have taken a note from post-WWII Japan. Wink

Now with that, the sage advice was if you wanted to spend 2x - 10x more than the part is worth just to support a union who hates you, then buy a Ford/Mopar/Chevy OEM part and while you're at, take the car to a dealership for you simple filters and fluid changes otherwise; buy a book and tool kit, then learn how to do it yourself. When you know how to do your own maintenance, you can afford a better/more expensive vehicle.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
OEM = Our Extra Money

In a lot of cases, OEM is not much more money than aftermarket. Especially wear items like filters and fluids. A lot of the brands that once meant quality in the aftermarket world are now Chinese crap. It doesn't pay to use aftermarket, because unless you're in the business, you don't know what aftermarket brands are good and what are garbage......all to save a few bucks........

Negative. In MOST cases you're getting railroaded into paying much more for parts that aren't much better quality than aftermarket. Did you miss all the threads here about dealerships and their OEM parts prices - and how often they are not OEM parts - but are in fact aftermarket parts re-badged? And/or are still Chinese manufactured?

And I used to be in the business. So your reply gets a good eyeroll from the front row.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
OEM = Our Extra Money

Negative. In MOST cases you're getting railroaded into paying much more for parts that aren't much better quality than aftermarket. Did you miss all the threads here about dealerships and their OEM parts prices - and how often they are not OEM parts - but are in fact aftermarket parts re-badged? And/or are still Chinese manufactured?

And I used to be in the business. So your reply gets a good eyeroll from the front row.

I used to be in the business also. OEM is still made to a certain specification that the manufacturer sets. Aftermarket, the quality can be all over the map.

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
And the quality in many cases is better because the aftermarket manufacturers are not limited by the vehicle manufacturers specifications.

That's precisely why there are aftermarket manufacturers for many parts like brakes, shocks, struts, exhaust components, the list goes on.

Not hard to determine which ones are reputable.