SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Google is your friend"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Google is your friend" Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Sorry I gotta bitch about this. I'm so sick of seeing replies telling people to use google. Usually the reply is in a forum or on a Facebook page that is dedicated to the topic. I've seen it here when people ask about a certain Sig feature. Today I saw it on a Facebook page for fans of the P250/320. I see it often on many places.

Google provides hundreds of results that often conflict and often never really answer what you wanted to know. It makes a lot more sense to go directly to people that you are sure have the knowledge.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned I've gotten better results on every topic right here in the Lounge.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I think youll find plenty of people here think the opposite and perhaps you are misinterpreting the response. Google isnt the tool, its the term for "looking it up." People ask a lot of questions on the internet because it illicits a response much faster than doing the research for oneself. Much like the days of not going to the library and asking an elder. However, The internet, on most topics, is so easy to research info it would take less time for them to search for the answer than to bother and ask someone else.

Tl;dr google = short term for "internet"

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I think youll find plenty of people here think the opposite and perhaps you are misinterpreting the response. Google isnt the tool, its the term for "looking it up." People ask a lot of questions on the internet because it illicits a response much faster than doing the research for oneself. Much like the days of not going to the library and asking an elder. However, The internet, on most topics, is so easy to research info it would take less time for them to search for the answer than to bother and ask someone else.

Tl;dr google = short term for "internet"
I'm pretty sure everybody knows that's not a search engine recommendation. It's a passive-aggressive response intended to embarrass someone. If one doesn't want to answer, fine. No need to do it with a side order of snark.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I always took the term to mean something more on the order of RTFM.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

In a moment of irony I had to google what rtfm meant. My point is that we ask questions in certain forums because we know the knowledge base in that forum. We are confident in the resulting replies. I've googled plenty of gun stuff and been baffled by what I read and then quickly get an answer here. There really is no need to tell people to google something, especially in a forum meant to illicit discussion and information.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

In a moment of irony I had to google what rtfm meant. My point is that we ask questions in certain forums because we know the knowledge base in that forum. We are confident in the resulting replies. I've googled plenty of gun stuff and been baffled by what I read and then quickly get an answer here. There really is no need to tell people to google something, especially in a forum meant to illicit discussion and information.

lol I had to google RTFM too... I agree with you that you can find the answer to pretty much any question online somewhere, but
A. Who knows the reliability of the source and we have some very knowledgeable people in this forum so why not take advantage of the knowledge here
B. Most of the information googled comes from some forum and a lot of forums are filled with trolls, unlike this one, so why not add our footprint in the online search world by posting relevant information that others could then google and have a respectable answer to their questions.
C. Don't be a jerk. The just google it isn't an answer... if you don't want to post an answer that's fine just move on to the next thread. In my opinion this is similar to the trolls that roam classified ads and lowball people... I don't agree with prices all the time, but guess what? If someone has their Glock posted somewhere for $800 I don't tell them they're idiots (although I might think this)and offer them $200 I just move on to the next ad...

Let's be courteous here because this is the best forum on the internet and there's no room for trolls here!

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go against the grain here for three reasons and they all boil down to emphasizing the Sigforum "quality discussion" slogan:
1. the response in a thread of "what is a [insert item]?" took longer to type into Sigforum than Google and requires somebody to type back. You're obviously connected to the Internet if you're here, and nobody has to type to give you a response if you Google it. Heck, my browser only requires me to double click on a word / acronym and a menu pops up with the option to search (e.g. jbcummings' acronym RTFM in this thread).
2. people aren't using the search function on Sigforum. Just the other day, we had the weekly or bi-weekly security camera thread and the OP got all pissy when it was pointed out he didn't even bother to educate himself with the Sigforum search to be able to ask an intelligent question.
3. the same OP who has started the 100th exact same thread topic and every time the answers are from the same 2 websites. Why waste member's time going to those 2 websites and posting articles when you could go there yourself? If something there doesn't make sense, then post a non-basic thread and have a thread that lives up to the Sigforum "quality discussion" slogan.

I would have 26,000 posts here if I didn't use the search function or Google.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a moment of irony I had to google what rtfm meant.

What does it mean?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:

What does it mean?
Google is your friend, dude! Haven't you learned anything from this thread? Big Grin

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:

What does it mean?
Google is your friend, dude! Haven't you learned anything from this thread? Big Grin

That right there is why people ask questions here. If you get an answer, it'll either be correct, or bring a smile. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
ROFL. Yeah there are times google is appropriate. But other times people are just being jerks. In any case recommending the Sigforum Search function is kind of cruel Tator

These go to eleven.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
In any case recommending the Sigforum Search function is kind of cruel Tator
I'm well aware of the standing, long-term search function joke, but it actually works. IMO, the quality of discussion has decreased recently and a lot of it is tied to the lack of using Sigforum search. For example, the world of zero turn mowers doesn't rapidly change like computers so searching past threads for zero turn mowers will likely yield the desired answer. At the very least, reading past threads will lead to having a higher quality discussion in a new thread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Before I post a question here, I try to use Google unless I'm asking for opinions about a subject. Google is good for finding statistical data. Opinions, however, are too varied to be of any use.

Even here, opinions vary wildly about subjects but the membership is so knowledgeable that it's easier to make an informed decision after aggregating said varied opinions.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If I want to search for something, I'll do it. But when I ask a question on Sig Forum, I'm asking Sig Forum, i.e., real people (albeit invisible). You guys have made some excellent product endorsements or recommendations for me recently.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have observed over the years (looking over their shoulders), that there are many people who simply do no know how to construct a search that will yield useful results. I hardly ever suggest that someone Google it for that reason.

Also, regarding SIGforum's search function, I have learned that if you always use the "Advanced Search", and check the radio button to sort by Date, rather than by Relevance (the default), you can get fantastic and meaningful results. I don't understand why that is, perhaps "Relevance" is applying some sort of algorithm that just doesn't work well.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It depends a lot on what kind of info the person is seeking.

If the person is asking for advice, or wanting to know something that requires a certain expertise or involves a detailed answer, that's what forums are for. In those cases, a response like "Google it" is uncalled for. That poster is looking for detailed information from a trusted source, rather than having to wade through tons of Google results with way to gauge the quality or accuracy of the advice within.

Example: "Why won't my lawnmower start?" or "What's the best choice for an optic with XYZ specifications?"

However, you sometimes come across forum posts where it seems like people are just being lazy, and wanting someone else to spoon-feed them a simple concrete fact that's easily discoverable with a modicum of effort. In those cases, it's truly better (and easier) to simply Google it than to bother asking on a forum.

Example: "How much does a P320 Compact weigh?" or "When does the new Star Wars movie come out?"

Luckily, around here, the latter type of posts are pretty minimal. And most folks here are patient enough that they don't resort to snarky "RTFM"-type responses, even if that might be their initial impulse. Wink

(Though I have to admit that the occasional semi-polite "LMGTFY" link makes me smile... A not-so-subtle way of suggesting that the person could easily find what they want without resorting to someone else holding their hand.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
People will post on FB and on forums "what time is the braves game tonight?" or "what would the correct engine timing be for a 1955 bel air chevrolet with a 327 cubic inch engine and a 4 barrel carburetor?"

both of those things can be searched on your search engine of choice and a result can be found in seconds. they are not worth a forum post.

the answer to them, fyi, is 7:35 PM EST and Chevy didn't make a 327 in 1955. The 327 didn't come out til 62. You're welcome.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Google isnt the tool, its the term for "looking it up." People ask a lot of questions on the internet because it illicits a response much faster than doing the research for oneself.

I think it's mostly laziness, because I can't really think of a time where it was faster to post a question and wait for a response than to "Google" it myself. If after doing that you are still confused, or really can't find an answer, then maybe it's time to post a question. To be more clear, I'm talking about questions that have a specific answer, not requests for opinions or recommendations.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
"what would the correct engine timing be for a 1955 bel air chevrolet with a 327 cubic inch engine and a 4 barrel carburetor?"

That's a BS question!

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even here, opinions vary wildly about subjects but the membership is so knowledgeable that it's easier to make an informed decision after aggregating said varied opinions.

Prior to the internet, I would ask a friend about something or look it up in an encyclopedia. Before I post something here I try and find the answer someplace else. I can research a lot of things via the internet and have access to online University Libraries if needed. The beauty of this forum is that you get a wide variety and in many instances you can get right to the expert for an intelligent answer. I trade my knowledge here with others, that is what this community is about. It is better than asking your buddies at work, random people at the bus stop etc.

I have gotten some wise ass answers once a time or two, and try to restrain myself from doing the same.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post