SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No more YouTube on Amazon devices come Jan. 1st
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more YouTube on Amazon devices come Jan. 1st Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Pulled up YouTube on my FireTV today and got a lovely little warning that YouTube will no longer be available come January 1st.

Well that is no good.
Here is to hoping Santa was listening when I said I want an XBOX ONE S.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
get a chromecast and plug into your alternate HDMI port

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I saw this as well. I wonder why they no longer will be supporting it.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I saw this as well. I wonder why they no longer will be supporting it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/l...panies-a8095446.html

quote:
Google is yanking YouTube from some Amazon products after the companies have become engaged in a bitter tow.

The two technology giants have publicly fallen out over whether or not the YouTube app should be able to appear on Amazon's smart Echo Show, which is like its smart cylinders but includes a screen. Now, as a result, Google has said that it will also take YouTube from Amazon's popular Fire TV streaming devices.

Doing so deprives Amazon of one of the most popular video services in the world, which is supported on all of its rivals. But YouTube also misses out on views from the very popular streaming devices – a sign of how bitter the feud has become.

More at the link above.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't really need to have youtube on every damn screen in my house. I'll just not watch youtube as much.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
These companies - how immature are the execs to pull this shit. Let the market decide who's better and which product to buy. They pull this kind of crap and it's really the consumers that get impacted and just ends up with us getting pissed at both companies.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
get a chromecast and plug into your alternate HDMI port

$85 for a 4K capable player with wired Ethernet.

I'll pay $90 more for an XBOX that also plays 4K BluRays, and works as an OTA DVR, and one can play games if one is into that sort of thing.

————————————————

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Eff me. I just bought my 2 boys their first tablet for Christmas, Amazon Fire Tablet. The only thing they watch is music videos on youtube. This is no longer supported?

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Cutting their noses off to spite themselves. A pox on them all!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Eff me. I just bought my 2 boys their first tablet for Christmas, Amazon Fire Tablet. The only thing they watch is music videos on youtube. This is no longer supported?

Probably not.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

If not opened return them and make sure they know why.

Maybe they will change their tune in this little pissing contest if enough people grip and switch platforms.

————————————————

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yeah my kid watches a lot of stuff on you tube on his kindle. So do I actually, lots of gun videos and video game stuff. I may have to retire the kindle.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
These companies - how immature are the execs to pull this shit. Let the market decide who's better and which product to buy. They pull this kind of crap and it's really the consumers that get impacted and just ends up with us getting pissed at both companies.

That's not it at all. Google is more than happy to share its products with competitors--Google and Apple play nice most of the time and it works out well for both companies: Apple gets hardware sales, Google gets content delivery.

The problem with the Amazon and Google thing is that Amazon's Echo Show device does not allow user engagement with YouTube videos. You can't subscribe or thumbs up with the Echo Show. Without the user engagement, Google doesn't get the content and ad delivery experience that it is selling.

Google doesn't care who shows YouTube videos, but if you want Google's free content to play on your devices, you've got to play nice with the way they package it.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Something tells me when currently owned Amazon devices update after 1 Jan 2018, the YouTube option will be removed. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I like Amazon, but this is an example of why we own no Amazon devices.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Amazon and do a search for Chromecast. A Fire Stick comes up as the first choice. No actual Chromecast. I think this is Google's fuck you to Amazon.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You should still be able to use a browser and go to youtub, but maby not download a youtub app

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Can you side load Google's youtube app to the fire tv stick? The app that is on there right now isn't the Google android app but Amazon's proprietary app.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
What no hickok45 in my best Yosemite Sam whoa I mean WHOA.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Go to Amazon and do a search for Chromecast. A Fire Stick comes up as the first choice. No actual Chromecast. I think this is Google's fuck you to Amazon.

Yep. Google is finally tired of Amazon's shit and is taking steps to retaliate. It's understandable from my pov. Amazon has been acting like this for a while now and google is finally fed up.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post