SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Another forged credit card tale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another forged credit card tale Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
Looked at my online CC transactions this AM. WTF??!! 10 fraudulent charges totaling $4,086 at Walmart, Sams, Lowes, Publix, Whole Foods, CVS, Starbucks, etc. All December 16 & 17 in Orlando at POS terminals. It appears my card was skimmed and copied. Someone had a merry Christmas on me. I wonder if Visa will take the effort to run the thieves to ground. They have the store locations and the times. With 10 transactions in 2 days looks like they could get plenty of pictures.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not likely unless you are a member of Congress. Sometimes local media will publish pictures on their website if it is a slow day.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, they won't. The card company will write it off. You can make a police report and the results will depend on agency policy and practice. My agency would take the report, get video, and circulate internally fir identification. Others will just do the report. Some others might just refer you to your card company.

And the crazy thing is that this goes on everywhere constantly and the card companies still turn gargantuan profits

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Credit card companies are strange when it comes to charges. I've taken trips to Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, and a lot up to New Hampshire, never had a bad charge or questioned if I used my card there. But every once in a while I will get a notice there is a suspected charge from Virginia or NYC which are within a 2 hour drive, Virginia is more like a 4 hour drive.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They just make up the losses by charging higher interest rates instead of actually trying to prevent the theft.

As if it's actually encouraged as if it helps the stores keep purchasing inventory on lines of credit.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Pretty piss poor credit card security that will all $4,000 in charges unless you go on similar spurts yourself in the past.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Pretty piss poor credit card security that will all $4,000 in charges unless you go on similar spurts yourself in the past.

I agree. Hell, they bought of $4,086 shit in person from 10 different stores in 2 days. Not the first time this year for a forgery on my card from this bank (a small online charge was processed earlier this year). I think I will just cut up the replacement.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if Visa will take the effort to run the thieves to ground.

They won't. And without certain knowledge of who did it and how, enabling them to make an easy pinch, neither will LE.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post