SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Schools Expecting Kids to Print All Homework
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schools Expecting Kids to Print All Homework Login/Join 
posted
Getting ready for my daughter's senior year and she just informed me that I need to go buy more ink so we have back up as she is expecting a a lot of homework and will need to print it all...most of which will involve color pics and graphics.

I'm sorry but this pisses me off and while I understand I am a cheap bastard I think it is unfair of the school(s) to assume all kids have, or have access to a color printer.

I think with most colleges using electronic assignment submission the schools districts would follow suit to better prepare the kids but why the hell do I know!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They are afraid that one of the students will wright in cursive and the teachers can't read cursive anymore. Confused

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
They are afraid that one of the students will wright in cursive and the teachers can't read cursive anymore. Confused

What's sad is given this school district I would not doubt it...Last year my daughter's guidance counselor told her that she was not allowed to email her because "in the real world people do not communicate this way"?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's sad is given this school district I would not doubt it...Last year my daughter's guidance counselor told her that she was not allowed to email her because "in the real world people do not communicate this way"?

Guidance counselors are a joke. I am not sure they are acquainted with the real world.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Guidance counselors are a joke. I am not sure they are acquainted with the real world.

That's a huge understatement with this one. Last year we needed a letter of recommendation so daughter could get into a summer program at BU and after asking for it numerous times it arrived, late, wrong date and full of typos. It was obvious the lazy bitch just cut and pasted someone elses letter...thankfully, knowing her incompetence, we had asked some teachers for letters that arrived on time and were thoughtfully written...If she fucks with my kid this year over anything I will have her head on a stick

posted Hide Post
As a former Professor I required two printed copies of every term paper from each student. Otherwise it was just too easy - “I emailed the assignment to you last week...”

One copy I graded and returned, the other I kept and filed. It was also easy for them to “share” papers with fellow students taking the same class in later semesters. Having a dated, graded copy from an earlier student helped prevent this.

I also required cell phones be off and put away during class and STRICTLY verboten on exam days.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Why not just email it to herself and print it off at school?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
As a former Professor I required two printed copies of every term paper from each student. Otherwise it was just too easy - “I emailed the assignment to you last week...”

One copy I graded and returned, the other I kept and filed. It was also easy for them to “share” papers with fellow students taking the same class in later semesters. Having a dated, graded copy from an earlier student helped prevent this.

I also required cell phones be off and put away during class and STRICTLY verboten on exam days.

Correct me if I am wrong and, I probably am, but isn't one of the advantages of turning in assignments electronically the ability to us a plagiarism detect tool on it?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

Correct me if I am wrong and, I probably am, but isn't one of the advantages of turning in assignments electronically the ability to us a plagiarism detect tool on it?

For my Master's classes we were required to submit a hard copy AND submit via a site which checked for plagiarism.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
my daughter's guidance counselor told her that she was not allowed to email her because "in the real world people do not communicate this way"?

Well, in that case, I hope at least they provide shovels and bits of charcoal to write on them with.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I always figured most "guidance counselors" were those who couldn't make it as gym teachers.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
When I was teaching, I preferred that kids emailed me their assignments so I didn't have paper everywhere. Plus, Microsoft Word has some very cool commenting features that are useful for grading.

So it drove me nuts when kids asked me to print their assignments for other classes.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post