SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trying to Donate a Mattress - Update Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to Donate a Mattress - Update Page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I get the whole bed bugs thing and who know who did what with what kind of farm animal on a used bed but I really thought I could od something good for someone truly in need.

Like I said, if all else fails there is always Craigslist or I have watched a few videos as to how to effectively cut it in to smaller mini beds that might be great for my 4 dogs

Go the CL-free route. I'm sure there is someone less fortunate than you who would be glad to have a used mattress that was $750 new.

Bed bugs and mites are legitimate concerns; however, they can be controlled. If you live in place that gets over 90 deg in the summer, whoever takes the mattress can seal it in a plastic bag and let it sit in the sun for an afternoon. The heat will kill anything in there.

One can also run a steam gun or clothing steamer over the entire mattress. I don't think the steam is hot enough to melt the foam, but if it is, then stop.

The new owner could also buy an anti-allergen/bed bug-proof mattress cover.

Last think you should do is haul it to a dump, much less pay someone to take it when there are ppl who would be glad to come pick it up.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last three or four mattresses I've bought included free removal of the old mattress and box spring.

Posts: 15 | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I get the whole bed bugs thing and who know who did what with what kind of farm animal on a used bed but I really thought I could od something good for someone truly in need.

Like I said, if all else fails there is always Craigslist or I have watched a few videos as to how to effectively cut it in to smaller mini beds that might be great for my 4 dogs

Go the CL-free route. I'm sure there is someone less fortunate than you who would be glad to have a used mattress that was $750 new.

Bed bugs and mites are legitimate concerns; however, they can be controlled. If you live in place that gets over 90 deg in the summer, whoever takes the mattress can seal it in a plastic bag and let it sit in the sun for an afternoon. The heat will kill anything in there.

One can also run a steam gun or clothing steamer over the entire mattress. I don't think the steam is hot enough to melt the foam, but if it is, then stop.

The new owner could also buy an anti-allergen/bed bug-proof mattress cover.

Last think you should do is haul it to a dump, much less pay someone to take it when there are ppl who would be glad to come pick it up.

Plain water will melt some of the “temperpedic” type foams.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Craigslist did not disappoint and ended up getting rid of it late last night but not before the barrage of amusing and bizarre calls...highlights included:

"Does the bed frame box spring some with it" (ad clearly said mattress only)

"I want it but you need to deliver it" (then got mad when I said no)

And my personal favorite....

"Can my boyfriend and I come lay down on it for a while" (I had to fight the urge to ask what do you look like and can I watch)

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They burn really well and fast. Wink

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
They burn really well and fast. Wink

Yeah, the old Bio-Fuel QA part of me wants a sample so I can test it and see if it's chemically compatible to be ground up for biofuel.

You'd be amazed at the stuff we burned. Some of it was excellent fuel. You never know 'til you test (was my job).

Posts: 31 | Registered: December 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post