SIGforum
Trying to Donate a Mattress - Update Page 2

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6930064644

August 30, 2018, 09:10 PM
Kevmo
Trying to Donate a Mattress - Update Page 2
This should not be that difficult.

Two years ago we bought a king mattress from Tuft and Needle which we love. A few months ago I noticed a "soft spot" and finally last week got around to calling T&N.

They were super easy to deal with and had me take some pics of the area with a weight on it and another weight in a different area for reference. I sent the pics in and was expecting and email telling me what they decided but instead I received and order confirmation telling me a new mattress was on its way. I later got an email telling me to contact them when mattress arrived about the old one.

I called them today, told them new mattress was here and asked wha to do with old one. They said they could recycle it or I could donate the the charity of my choice. I chose the latter as, like I said, there was a small soft area but other than that it was in excellent condition, I figured it could go to good use in a shelter or group home.

I was wrong...Salvation Army, St Vincent, Goodwill and Humane Society all told me nope we do not want it. Apparently foam mattresses are not donatable because they cannot be washed?

I have a call into one more shelter that my daughter does volunteer work for and if they dont want it I will either do the dance of the tads on Craigslist with a FREE ad or cut it up into dog beds/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,
August 30, 2018, 09:19 PM
sigmonkey
bugs...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
August 30, 2018, 09:34 PM
AZSigs
quote:
bugs...
bed

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
August 30, 2018, 09:59 PM
Orguss
I didn't know regular mattresses could be washed. Confused

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
August 30, 2018, 10:36 PM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I didn't know regular mattresses could be washed. Confused

Apparently they can be steam cleaned which gets rid of pretty much everything but the foam mattresses cannot for obvious reasons therefore charities do not want them.

I get the whole bed bugs thing and who know who did what with what kind of farm animal on a used bed but I really thought I could od something good for someone truly in need.

Like I said, if all else fails there is always Craigslist or I have watched a few videos as to how to effectively cut it in to smaller mini beds that might be great for my 4 dogs
August 30, 2018, 10:37 PM
jimmy123x
YUP, bed bugs are a serious thing again. Very expensive and very hard to get rid of. Nobody wants to take furniture that's cloth or a place they can hide in.

Put an AD on Craigslist and someone will want it.
August 31, 2018, 07:41 AM
ASKSmith
Back in my younger days, I was broke. Had an old mattress, but had to pay $25 to get rid of it. So I kept it propped up in an empty storage room.

I shared a house with some friends who had the ground floor. When they were moving out, a buddy and I snuck the mattress onto their moving truck. When they unloaded the truck at their new house, they couldn't figure out why they had an extra mattress.

-----------------
I apologize now...
August 31, 2018, 07:56 AM
fpuhan
Now you probably know why you see abandoned sofas and mattresses at dead ends, alleys and construction sites.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
August 31, 2018, 07:56 AM
Leemur
Most places where I’m at won’t accept any mattress that isn’t still in the original plastic wrap.
August 31, 2018, 08:10 AM
dry-fly
Salvation Army took ours.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
August 31, 2018, 09:23 AM
Kevmo
Im just gonna do the Craigslist thing and be done with it....talking to a friend last night who shared this with me

https://www.urbandictionary.co...exican%20Drag%20Race
August 31, 2018, 09:37 AM
Sportshooter
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Back in my younger days, I was broke. Had an old mattress, but had to pay $25 to get rid of it. So I kept it propped up in an empty storage room.

I shared a house with some friends who had the ground floor. When they were moving out, a buddy and I snuck the mattress onto their moving truck. When they unloaded the truck at their new house, they couldn't figure out why they had an extra mattress.

You’re probably not the only sneaky devil on this forum, but you just might be leading the pack right now. Thanks for the tip. Big Grin
August 31, 2018, 02:00 PM
SR025
Your trash pickup might take it. I put it out there morning of trash pick up and they took it.
August 31, 2018, 05:15 PM
remsig
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

That's funny!
August 31, 2018, 07:03 PM
sourdough44
I have a baby crib in great shape, free. I let my ad languish a bit, few takers.

I have room at the moment, hate to throw a solid Ash crib on the burn pile.
September 01, 2018, 11:28 AM
Sigfest
In order for my trash collector to take a used mattress and box springs, I had to double wrap them in plastic. Took about $30 worth of Visqueen. They were afraid of BB too.
September 01, 2018, 05:05 PM
shoevb
I have worked at a hotel for 28 years and we change mattresses every few years. Charities used to take them but not anymore. We have them encased in bed bug proof encasements but they still don't want to take the chance.
September 01, 2018, 05:31 PM
bendable
the largest recycle center in eastern Iowa does not even accept them !

the retailer should offer to haul the old mattress away , when they bring the new mattress , no charge

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 01, 2018, 08:47 PM
creedbratton2
Every craigslist has a free stuff section. Take photos, post it, throw the mattress in your driveway with a piece of paper that declares it as free and without bed bugs. It will be gone about 30 minutes after you put it out, quicker on a Saturday.
September 01, 2018, 09:42 PM
Skins2881
Gross. No way I'd ever buy a used mattress, rather sleep on the floor, and with my back it actually might help.

Have a buddy that only buys used mattresses. He never died from them, got infested, or had any other problems with them. So there are people willing to buy then.

Charity not likely possible, but selling cheap on CL or paying trash company $50 seems to be best bet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis