SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Goodbye 4S
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye 4S Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I have my 4S, the only cell phone with a rotary dial, I guess.

I have noticed that battery charges aren’t lasting as long these days, so I thought I would swap it out for the 4S my wife used until she upgraded a few years ago. Just a matter of swapping sim cards, right?

Today, I set out on a doctor appointment and other errands, took both devices and dropped in a the nearby Verizon office.

No dice! They no longer have the tools and or software, 4S support is being discontinued, 3G is going away in a few months and a new battery costs more than upgrading to a newer phone.

So there!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty soon they will ditch the mimmeograph machine!

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yep and floppy disks. What is this world coming to.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Jim

Yeah, the Abacus is next.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Today I wasted time and patience trying to explain long distance phone call costs to a 20 year old.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time show him this video:

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that you got your moneys worth out of it. If you hurry, you can still buy a new SE which is the same size as the 4S and no frills and cheap, unless you want to upgrade.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Is there a very basic device, maybe cell and text only, anymore?

I am house bound basically, don’t need apps, camera, stock market tips, weather, and all the other foo-foo things often regarded as essentials these days. I have my iPad for those.

We are with Verizon.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Is there a very basic device, maybe cell and text only, anymore?

I am house bound basically, don’t need apps, camera, stock market tips, weather, and all the other foo-foo things often regarded as essentials these days. I have my iPad for those.

We are with Verizon.

If you want to stay with Apple, grab an Apple 6S right away, it is basically just a newer version of your iPhone 4 and not overly complicated. Right now a new one from Verizon is only $120

https://www.verizonwireless.co...e-6s/#sku=sku2160047

The cheapest basic phone from Verizon is a $120 Kyocera. I would recommend sticking with the iPhone 6S for $120 because it's a great deal and you don't have to relearn a new phone. That being said the Duraforce flip phones from Kyocera are basic and drop proof, waterproof and can't kill them, but they're $244.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
WHEW! I thought it said 45! A real shame if you had to give up your .45!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Today I wasted time and patience trying to explain long distance phone call costs to a 20 year old.

A least you weren't trying to explain a switchboard.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I looked up the trade in value of my IPhone SE, $0.00.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I'm in for starting a support group for those of us that still have the 4S.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Tools?? Won't a simple paperclip let you swap the SIM cards?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I looked up the trade in value of my IPhone SE, $0.00.

To you.

They'll take it and slap a $10 battery in it and turn around and sell it overseas for $200

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
What the hell did you all do before the cell phone, internet and the like? Did you have a land line? Walked over to your neighbors' house? Or drive for those of you that live more than half a mile from friends?
Yeah I've got a cell phone. I keep it turned off 95% of the time because I'm doing something. I'm typing this drivel on a home desktop computer while taking a coffee break. Then, back out to the garage.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

Hey! I still use floppy disks. Some of the healthcare imaging equipment I work on is from the 1990’s and backups are done on floppy disk. Crappy thing is I sometimes go through 3-4 disks before one will actually work.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buddy357:
quote:

Jim

Hey! I still use floppy disks. Some of the healthcare imaging equipment I work on is from the 1990’s and backups are done on floppy disk. Crappy thing is I sometimes go through 3-4 disks before one will actually work.

I hope you never have to actually restore anything!! Big Grin

JALLEN - you can get a prepaid flip phone with basic text and calling - no QWERTY keyboard though...
Probably the SE as jimmy123x stated above would be a good choice, if you don't want to go the prepaid route.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post