SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Rattlesnakes!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rattlesnakes! Login/Join 
posted
I have lived in AZ for over 20 years and I know rattlers, scorpions, coyotes and other native creatures come with the territory but this spring I have seen more rattlers then ever before.

Most of the time they are in the desert where they belong but a few weeks ago we encountered one on the aide of the walking path at night and it almost got one of my dogs. Then last week there was a rather large, angry one blocking said path in the shadows that we had to help along his way to get by. Last night, again, my least intelligent dog almost stepped on a baby (the other two dogs stayed as far away as possible).

For the most part this bike/walking path is both well lit and well traveled but runs along a wash. We have taken to both carrying super bright cree lights to be safer.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'm in San Diego (PQ area) and we've been seeing the same here.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Mom lives in Surprise. I'll advice her to get some snapshot.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Thanks. Mom lives in Surprise. I'll advice her to get some snapshot.

I am right next to Surprise....tell her to keep an eye out, I just looked at my community Next Door page and there be a lot of snake chatter

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Viruses and giant hornets and rattlesnakes: Oh, my!

Of the three, I’d prefer the last, but I’d most prefer none of the above. Just be careful.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's not so bad.
Yet.

Wait til they hybridize with sharks and twisters.

Smile

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Guess who's fault it is? The quick answer is those who live and let live. Kill every one of the bastards you come across. Carry a hoe (its ok if its dirty). Kill it real dead, its OK to over do it even. Then kill it again. Then when you get home, sharpen the hoe again. Just so it'll be ready the next time. You can even practice out in the garden. Improve your stroke.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
There's actually a festival for these things, if you can believe it.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've had a few close calls while horseback trailing cattle to summer pasture in the Missouri River Breaks. I hate 'em.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
There's actually a festival for these things, if you can believe it.

Annual Rattlesnake hunt in Pennsylvania, too.

http://www.noxenpa.com/snakes.html

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

While the Western Diamondback is the most prevalent rattler in AZ, we are oh so fortunate to live in an area where the climate, environment, and whatever else makes it ideal for the Mojave rattler to thrive. I see 8 Mojaves for every 2 Diamondbacks around our neighborhood. Our immediate environs (the 2 or so acres around the house) has been cleared of all bush-like vegetation. The various rodents around here prefer to tunnel under and live under those bushes. Removing the food source goes a long way to keeping the rattlers away. Our other 4 acres are native desert.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have any of you had or know anyone that has had them get into their homes?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I got a panicked call from a tenant one afternoon about a rattlesnake that had gotten into her kitchen when she left her door open. By the time I got there a neighbor had dispatched the creature with a garden hoe.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Guess who's fault it is? The quick answer is those who live and let live. Kill every one of the bastards you come across.

I collect each one I encounter and return it to the wild.

They're beneficial.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Have any of you had or know anyone that has had them get into their homes?

Just waiting....my wife leaves outside doors open all the time.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I just scared off a northern AZ Black Rattlesnake from behind my shop this morning. As long as it stays away from the house, it'll get a reprieve. To many rodents, not enough traps, already this spring.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
They taste pretty good deep fried... but the secret is in the breading....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Damn, so glad I live where it is cold six months out of the year!!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I just signed up for venomous snake training on May 23. I tried a month ago, but the event was canceled due to the shutdown. I can't wait. I've only ever seen a Rattlesnake in the wild in Zion Nat. Park. All the others were in zoos.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I had an Eastern Diamondback on my freaking stoop to get into the house the other day. My kids and I got out of the car, approached the house, and the kids were about 2 feet way from it when they said, "Dad, look , a snake".

Almost step on snek, snek no more.

I leave em alone in the wild. In my yard with the kids almost stepping on them, they die.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post