SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Anonymous forums
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anonymous forums Login/Join 
posted
I am on a couple of other forums such as a military forum. I hate it when you make a comment and people come back at you with daggers. Many of the commments are cruel, downright mean, etc.

I guess the anonymity of it makes it easy for people to say what they want. I wonder if they are like that in a person to person discussion?

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m not impressed by a lot of pop psychology, but I am convinced that bullying is a demonstration of personal insecurities and low self-esteem. Posting attacks on the Internet is a form of bullying because just as a 10-year-old can pick on someone half his age without fear of effective resistance, the same is true of what you describe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post

Nowhere more so than on the 'net. There aren't any apps, presently, that'll allow you to knock the crap out of somebody via messaging.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that most adults would not act like that if they were standing right in front of you.

While driving, I've had people beep at me, flip me the bird, yell stupid shit, and pretty much act like assholes. Funny that I've NEVER encountered any of that behavior whilst walking around in a store. I guess they know they could get choked out right there in the store if they pulled the same shit they do while in the safety of their cars and behind their keyboards.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I think some of it is also due to different communication styles.

I recently attended some communication training at work. According to the instructor, when using written communication, a full 93% of your communication ability is lost (intonation, cadence, volume, body language, etc).

Lacking these various other cues, written communication is open to more interpretation than any other form.

If you don't think it true, I urge you to watch this commercial:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultPAIkFoRw

Exact same dialog from both the girl who got a new car, and the guy whose car was jacked up. Yet, in watching/listening to it, it is quite easy to tell apart the reactions.

Even without watching (if you just close your eyes and listen), you can clearly tell that one party is excited and the other is mortified.

Since communication styles vary so greatly from one type of person to the next, when you are reduced to nothing more than written communication, it is very easy to incorrectly interpret something. I, myself, have fallen victim to this very thing, here on this very forum, countless times. I'm sure there are many on here who think I'm a complete asshole. I'm sure there are at least as many more who have me on their ignore list.

The fact of the matter is that I'm originally from the east coast, and have a style of communication that is normally very detail-oriented and direct/to the point.

Many people apparently interpret that incorrectly as my being an asshole. I've gotten used to it over the years, but that class I took helped to explain why, and has helped me to polish my image with coworkers and customers alike. How? I communicate a LOT less in writing.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by striperkid:
I agree that most adults would not act like that if they were standing right in front of you.

While driving, I've had people beep at me, flip me the bird, yell stupid shit, and pretty much act like assholes. Funny that I've NEVER encountered any of that behavior whilst walking around in a store. I guess they know they could get choked out right there in the store if they pulled

I did have a woman go nuts on me in a home store a couple of years ago. It happens.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't have a link.. But watch the Louie CK bit on how we behave when we are in a car, hilarious

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/x8062QEFk5g

I think this is it....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Internet trolls have tiny dicks. Proven fact.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Internet trolls have tiny dicks. Proven fact.
Stand by for the chorus of forum members proclaiming that they have proof that they are not trolls.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Keyboard courage.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Arguing on the Internet:

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Arguing on the Internet:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tJ8eTb6xr_k" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Big Grin

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
I think some of it is also due to different communication styles.

I recently attended some communication training at work. According to the instructor, when using written communication, a full 93% of your communication ability is lost (intonation, cadence, volume, body language, etc).

Lacking these various other cues, written communication is open to more interpretation than any other form.

If you don't think it true, I urge you to watch this commercial:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultPAIkFoRw

Exact same dialog from both the girl who got a new car, and the guy whose car was jacked up. Yet, in watching/listening to it, it is quite easy to tell apart the reactions.

Even without watching (if you just close your eyes and listen), you can clearly tell that one party is excited and the other is mortified.

Since communication styles vary so greatly from one type of person to the next, when you are reduced to nothing more than written communication, it is very easy to incorrectly interpret something. I, myself, have fallen victim to this very thing, here on this very forum, countless times. I'm sure there are many on here who think I'm a complete asshole. I'm sure there are at least as many more who have me on their ignore list.

The fact of the matter is that I'm originally from the east coast, and have a style of communication that is normally very detail-oriented and direct/to the point.

Many people apparently interpret that incorrectly as my being an asshole. I've gotten used to it over the years, but that class I took helped to explain why, and has helped me to polish my image with coworkers and customers alike. How? I communicate a LOT less in writing.

While I agree with the finding of your study, I still think it's easy enough to be polite while writing....even if you are disagreeing with someone.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point SBrooks

Kevin

Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
This has only happened once to me, and it was a phone thing, but I suggest the following.

Sir, we need a payment.

Its not my bill, I sent a letter to you.

Sir, I dont see anything from you since we called on x/x/xx.

I sent a letter to abc123 on X/X/XX.

Sir if we could just get a payment from you today, we can take care of this, and it wont have to effect your credit score.

I let this go on, thinking I could convince this guy that there was a mistake. Then he turned nasty and kinda personal, and the sir thing was out the window, so I said-

Where are you.

What do you mean.

Where are you physically, right now. Are you at the call center in NY? (Thank you Google)

"Sir" (now sir again) I am attempting to collec

The building across from Subway on 47th right? 3rd floor, what office? (thank you Google street view)

SIR, Please understand we can't process anything here in person. (voice cracking a little)

We shall see- and then I hung up. Never heard from them again, about 2 years ago. Nothing on credit report.

Never hurts to ask where someone is, even on the interwebs. Follow that with "I'll send you my full Name and where I work. Google me motherfucker. My house hasn't blown up yet.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with OP, plus there is a lot of drinking and posting. Drinking makes balls enormous, myself included. I do not drink now, and only did at certain times, but it seemed when I did, someone was always trying to pick a fight with me and for me the only thing to do was to fight them.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping people will slowly get better at internet civility. The anonymity encourages brutal honesty. The thrill of offending others must surely lose some luster eventually.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
We've had a couple here over the years. They tend not to last very long.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post