SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting a CDL as a diabetic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a CDL as a diabetic Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
...totally blows. What a bunch of bullshit hoops to jump through.

To those diabetics who don’t control your numbers, the reason why this process is such a pain in the ass, please wash down a bag of Pixie Stix with a Squirt. Yep, I know that’s a bit harsh and over the top but...

DAMMIT

It’s a bit tempting to say to hell with it, since it’s for my 2nd part time job I keep just for the fun of it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not diabetic, but have had some CDL hoops to jump through to keep my license active and it can be a pain

Our State went to certifying the CDL doctors, my general practice doctor said bull ,about paying to going to a class to learn how to give a physical, and then have to renew the cert on some schedule, not enough patients requesting that type of physical

Sucks for me as I would get an annual physical and then have the CDL physical included as part of the paper work. Annual physicals are covered 100% by my insurance,

What really sucks are the physicals are now done at Med Points by questionable doctors or nurses trying to be doctors, one of these locations is also becoming famous for requiring a sleep apnea test in addition to the physical (additional cost) we believe there may be some kick backs involved.....

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I think the sleep apnea test is today's designer condition. It was amazing with two tests from different facilities how different the test results were. My Cardiologist did not like the first test, he agreed with me that the test was made to fail.

Second test pointed to asthma and allergies. And no incidents of cessation of breathing unlike the first test according to the operator. My "problem" is being treated with OTC nasal sprays and nasal strips instead of a multi-thousand dollar CPAP machine "which would be covered by insurance" according to my first testing doctor.

Makes you wonder.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I think the sleep apnea test is today's designer condition.

I tend to agree with that.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I never heard anything about an apnea test during my medical exam. What are the details on that?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Makes you wonder.

I don't wonder. I've known several people who have gone for sleep studies. Every single one of them have ended up with a cpap. In my personal experience I've never known anyone to have gone to a sleep study and been told they didn't need a cpap. Of course of those that got a cpap, almost all of them quit using it within a month.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I'm not saying that all cases of sleep apnea are bogus. There certainly are legitimate cases that benefit from CPAP. It's just significantly over diagnosed and treated IMO.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
^^^
Oh I agree that there are certainly plenty of folks that need and benefit from a cpap. I too just think they are way over recommended.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too just think they are way over recommended.

totally agree, here.

I gotta wonder if each state has way different parameters re: CDL testing.

I know three CDL drivers that tell me what they have to do in IA and ILL.

BUT !
when I eat at the worlds largest truck stop in Walcott Iowa.
I see a half dozen drivers Drivers chowing down,

and these guys look like they need a fork lift to get them up in to the cab,

I am close to 400 lbs. , and these guys make me look like Don Knotts.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post