SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Firefox killed all my add-ons
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox killed all my add-ons Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
All of them, none are listed now.
Forecast Fox, uBlock Origin, Video DownloadHelper, Ghostery, some minor appearance stuff, nothing...

Selecting "find a replacement" is worthless.
Mad Mad Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a fan of Firefox, but it seemed to slowing start giving me fits overtime. Switched to Opera about a year or so ago. Have really liked it so far and none of the slow creep of issues Firefox seemed to start having. You might want to look at it as an option.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Of those extensions you list I only use uBlock Origin. It still works on Firefox for me and I can still find it with a search in extensions. What version of Firefox are you using and do you ever check for updates to your extensions and apply them?

I am using the current version of Firefox Quantum 66.0.3 64bit and the current update to uBlock Origin is dated April 10, 2019, version 1.18.16.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I woke up to this and wondered WTF. Firefox let some kind of certificate expire which is causing the snafu. It can be fixed immediately by going to:

Preferences / Privacy & Security / Firefox Data Collection and Use. Then enable "Allow Firefox to install and run studies".

Enabling this let's Mozilla do a quick back-channel hotfix that gets extensions working again but you'll probably need to reinstall U-Block Origin and/or other extensions. Mozilla will probably do a permanent fix on their next main update.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Firefox’s updates made some of my most used add-ons obsolete and the publishers didn’t want to expend the effort to rewrite the code for the new version of Firefox. I couldn’t find an alternative I liked, so I reverted to using an older version of the browser. This allows me to use the last version published if those add-ons and I can stay happy.

Maybe try doing that so you can continue using your add-ons until they’re updated.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I clicked on the 'More Info' link for my AdGuard AdBlocker in the Add-on Manager and found this at the top of the page from Mozilla Support:

"We rolled out a hotfix that re-enables affected add-ons. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. For more details, please check out the update at https://blog.mozilla.org/addon...-add-ons-in-firefox/ "

Looks like I'll just have to stick with reading SIGforum until it's 'automatically applied in the background' because I don't need any Add-ons for SIGforum! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just one more reason why I switched to Waterfox (64-bit). Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I updated my Mac to the newest version of Firefox, and lost all my bookmarks.

Poof. Gone.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I clicked on the 'More Info' link for my AdGuard AdBlocker in the Add-on Manager and found this at the top of the page from Mozilla Support:

"We rolled out a hotfix that re-enables affected add-ons. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. For more details, please check out the update at https://blog.mozilla.org/addon...-add-ons-in-firefox/ "

Looks like I'll just have to stick with reading SIGforum until it's 'automatically applied in the background' because I don't need any Add-ons for SIGforum! Wink

Thanks, hope this works! Guess I'll have to wait to find out, from the page --

"It may take up to six hours for the Study to be applied to Firefox..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like they got paid to kill adblock plus.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
My stuff is back, loves me some Hive. Smile

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just brilliant. Firefox on my Win7 laptop already received the update but not my Win10 machine.

Someone at Mozilla should lose their bonus for the year.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
I fixed this yesterday in my Firefox settings by going to about:config and changing xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

I'll change it back after I get the update.

Posts: 1453 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Firefox for Android has now been fixed thankfully. What a goat rope! Frown Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Despite what I said in my post on the 4th, apparently, Sunday brought a slew of changes even to legacy versions of Firefox. All of my legacy add-ons were disabled. I chose to update to the latest version of Firefox because of it but some of the functionality in my old add-ons haven't been replicated by new ones. What a bummer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My add-ons remained disabled from the update. I'm on Firefox for Mac.

Really hating the autoplay videos (e.g. fox news) and pop-ups.

EDIT: Posted 5 minutes too soon. I shutdown firefox and we I reopened it installed an update with my add-ons enabled.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
nhracecraft's tweak got things working and Firefox has updated since then. I didn't change anything, stuff still worked. Then I noticed uBlock Origin was listed but not enabled. It seems to be now working since I enabled it.

I haven't changed "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" being checked as the hotfix. I don't like the sound of that but having my add-ons is my priority. Maybe I'll get around to unchecking the hotfix to see how things work, kinda hate to mess with something that ain't broke.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
...kinda hate to mess with something that ain't broke.
Don't worry. Mozilla's got that part of it covered. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ad blockers stopped working on two iMacs, so I found a new "compatible" ad blocker fairly easily, called "StopAll Ads."

It works fine. I forgot how valuable ad blockers were until I had to go an hour without.

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I had to use time machine and go back a day to get firefox to work and play with it

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post