SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

For those unfamiliar with USPS policy, carriers are supposed to pick up uncollected mail after three days, and hold it at the office for 10 days, then return to sender.
Because of the overwhelming amount of junk mail that comes to the cluster box in my neighborhood at home, I ave most of the important stuff addressed to my account at The UPS Store.

Given that more than 90% (not an exaggeration, it's probable more than 95%) of the mail at the home address is unsolicited advertising flyers, I might stroll over to the cluster box once a week.

I did not know that it is policy for the carrier to pick up uncollected mail after three days.

I might try an experiment: go to the box every second day, pick up any "real" mail (probably none), and leave the junk. I have a shiny new nickel that says the junk will still be there a month later. Anybody want to bet?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting worse. 25 years ago the work mail was in the building by 9:30am. 10 years ago it was 11:00-1:30. Now it's 1:30 to the next day. I anticipate finding Friday and Saturday mail tomorrow morning and getting the Monday mail on Tuesday if I'm lucky. I know the carriers are overworked but it's ridiculous. The constant attempted delivery bullshit is the worst. The mail goes to the building mail room. It's secure and building security grants access 24/7. The bins are keyed and opened by USPS and tenants. Don't give me the no access bullshit.

Home is just as bad. The mail comes around 6:00pm and sometimes at 9:00pm. A different kind of neighborhood and the carrier might be faced with unpleasantness creeping around driveways and porches after dark. The usual guys are actually really nice and on the ball but late.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It is an extortion scheme.
I had this exact same issue multiple times... until I started leaving a $25 gift card from the local Cafe in the box every Christmas.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My carriers are solid...I also signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery (if it's offered in your area) so at about 7:00-7:30 I receive an email with photos of my mail to be delivered and a notice of any packages to be delivered. It's a great option and service to be able to see your incoming mail Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
The company that I work for has a national contract with UPS. They are a mere shell of the company that they were just a couple of years ago. Don’t expect much from UPS and you won’t be disappointed.

I understand you ef'ed up on the origin of delivery of the OP.
But just to correct you, the downfall of UPS started on November 10, 1999.

New York Stock Exchange

New York Stock Exchange 1999
On November 10, 1999, UPS offered shares of its stock to the public for the first time.
This initial public offering strengthened UPS by giving the company the ability to use a publicly traded security to make strategic acquisitions in important markets around the world.

Apologies to ScreamingCockatoo for the thread drift...

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
Go complain to your local Postmaster, exactly nothing will happen to the delivery driver

the Postmaster has a boss, too.

Who also won’t care. If something is critical pay more and go to the store and buy it. I don’t buy anything online that I need in a hurry.

Please complain anyway.

I have a slightly different view than many here. Government supervisors know who their shitty employees are. They would love to see them gone just as badly as you would because they are cancerous and cause as many problems internally as externally and their coworkers probably hate having to pick up their slack every single day. In order to actually do anything though they need a whole lot of documentation. There are a number of disciplinary steps they need to go through, and they need fresh documentation of continued failure to perform at each step. If the supervisors mess it up they get to start the whole process over again at best, or they get their shitty employee back after a few months of being fired with full back pay after they lose the arbitration/ lawsuit and have to start the process all over.

Please make those complaints. It may just go in a folder with the other complaints for now, but it's a start and something will get done eventually.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Please complain anyway.

I have a slightly different view than many here. Government supervisors know who their shitty employees are. They would love to see them gone just as badly as you would because they are cancerous and cause as many problems internally as externally and their coworkers probably hate having to pick up their slack every single day. In order to actually do anything though they need a whole lot of documentation. There are a number of disciplinary steps they need to go through, and they need fresh documentation of continued failure to perform at each step. If the supervisors mess it up they get to start the whole process over again at best, or they get their shitty employee back after a few months of being fired with full back pay after they lose the arbitration/ lawsuit and have to start the process all over.

Please make those complaints. It may just go in a folder with the other complaints for now, but it's a start and something will get done eventually.

We had a dude fired, he had a congressional complaint (stupivisors can't do anything to quell those), the list of shit he pulled, fucking over other carriers and laughing about it, etc etc etc. The only reason he still has a job is because he got "hurt" on the job, and he's black. Station manager signed off on his last chance deal.
Guess who did his route today, and found a tub with 1st class mail post marked November 7th on it?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Who also won’t care. If something is critical pay more and go to the store and buy it. I don’t buy anything online that I need in a hurry.[/QUOTE]

Please complain anyway.

Please make those complaints. It may just go in a folder with the other complaints for now, but it's a start and something will get done eventually.[/QUOTE]

I could go on and on about piss poor supervisors in the post office. Those who have been caught altering employees timecards, to recapture time and steal money from carriers or clerks paychecks. Those who use government credit cards for their personal gain. Stealing money or stamps. We even had a group of supervisors that had a “sex list” of female employees they slept with. It’s all swept under the rug. The easiest way to get rid of a pisspoor supervisor is to promote him, and he gets moved to another area.

My favorite is my area Post Master from few years ago. Got arrested for stealing drugs out of express mail, and intimidating witnesses. He served six months in prison, and then was released. They found him a few months later passed out in his vehicle asleep on a loaded AK47. Quality management material...

I have little or no trust of any postal supervisors. If you have never worked in the post office, you wouldn’t understand. The level of distrust between craft employees (carriers, clerks, etc) is frightening, because the majority know of the supervisors work history and past.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
To the OP...I feel your pain. My USPS carrier(s) are about as useful as tits on a boar hog. Or owl shit (as mother used to say Smile)

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I only get the “Delivery attempted-no access to delivery location” messages when my regular carrier is out. I always figure the substitute is just overwhelmed with his unfamiliar route and can’t get it all done in time. Not making excuses for him, just saying that’s the trend for me.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Our mail usually comes before 4:00pm. My wife's Christmas Present was supposed to come today. I just got an e-mail saying they "attempted delivery" at 6:53pm, and now will be holding the package at the post office for pickup.

This is BS. Basically, the carrier was behind and listed it as hold for pickup so they wouldn't have to deliver it. What pisses me off is apparently now we're supposed to drive into the post office to pick it up. I don't get why they're not delivering it tomorrow...

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
92fstech,

Don’t just assume your carrier is the one who scanned it attempted. If there is a disparity between your normal mail time, and the time it was “attempted”, it probably wasn’t your carrier. You can call and complain, and they can look up who scanned it, as well as where it was scanned. You can also ask that since no signature was required, you want it delivered ASAP. You can bypass the phone call, and request a redelivery via the USPS website as well.

A carrier’s scanner is logged in daily using the carrier’s ID badge. This won’t be public knowledge, but if you do call and complain, you can ask who scanned it attempted. Whether or not they tell you, or give you the correct information, is another story.

Being a mail carrier is the opposite of being a garbage man. At the end of your day, you want your truck empty, because it just creates more work for a carrier to have to bring things back, ie packages that do require a signature. Not to mention that as the day goes along, the less mail and parcels you have, the easier it is to work out of the truck.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I think our normal carrier must be on vacation or out sick, because she is REALLY good (even though she regularly gives me crap for taking advantage of flat rate shipping prices for reloading components Big Grin. In my defense, if I'm home I always try to go out an help her unload when I know I have a box coming.), is always on time, and rarely misses a drop. I got the neighbor down the street's mail on Saturday (no big deal, I just walked it down there and gave it to him), and then this thing with my wife's package yesterday. I hope she's alright, and didn't go get another job, because if this is what we can expect from the new guy it doesn't bode well.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
They will most likely bring it out tomorrow. "Hold for pickup" is just an automatic thing when you "attempt" something, it's not something the carrier selects on the scanner. 6:53pm is pretty late, really late for a rural route if that's what you're on. If it's a city route they were probably told to get back by 7pm. The more packages you have, the more likely things get covered up (by other packages) or knocked around.
You can request redelivery online if you have notice slip, which I'm assuming you didn't get, so if you have a number for that station call and ask them to bring it out.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup, no notice slip. Our regular carrier ended up dropping it off the next day. Thankfully I was paying attention and was able to call my wife and save her a trip to the post office, where she was about to go after picking the kids up from school.

Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Really?
I was HOME and RECEIVED packages FROM THE CARRIER herself.
I told her there should be 4 boxes not 3.

DAMN USPS are stupid.

This is bullshit.

USPS sent me a notice a couple days ago that my package had been delivered at a certain time and left in my mailbox. When I checked my mailbox there was nothing in it. Fortunately I have a 4 camera unit under the awning of my home that gives me 360 degrees of coverage ....... including my mailbox across the street. So I reviewed the video and nope, there was no Postman at the time they said the package was delivered. I then got online and used the USPS complaint form and noted that I had video. I got an apology letter stating that they would look into it. Fortunately a couple days later the resident of the home to where the package had been delivered showed up with my package.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My father in law was so fed up with the USPS that he UNINSTALLED his mailbox at the street. Took the box down, dug up the pole, told the carrier to send everything back to where it came from.

Grouchy old fart.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyjondeere: I still am getting door cards from USPS to pick up my mattress, it’s been a month Smile

That's awesome!!! Big Grin

Yes, I've had a similar situation - got a message from USPS that the conditions were "unsafe" or something like that - so I called the USPS and told them I was home, and there wasn't any sort of "safety" issue, and no delivery attempt was made. The USPS representative told me that the carrier has no obligation to make the delivery if they feel there is any kind of safety issue. So if the wind is from the north and cold, and the carrier "feels" unsafe, then they don't have to make the delivery.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post