SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shingling a roof in the rain.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingling a roof in the rain. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Building next door to me has been sold. Used to be owned by a real estate crook (but that's another rant...) Folks that bought it seem nice and are putting some money into it planning to move their antique shop there.

Part of the work being done is re-shingling the roof. Crew did a nice job yesterday stripping to the deck and laying down some sort of Tyvek-looking underlayment.

I can't figure out if the roofing crew is dedicated or just stupid. They're out there in the freakin' rain laying shingles! Not a downpour, but cold, steady rain.

I'm thinking stoopid. Laying shingles over wet underlayment. Laying shingles in 40° weather so the tabs won't seal. Working on a wet 12/12 roof on wet, no doubt slippery, Tyvek underlayment.

Not to mention being soaked to the skin and cold all day.

Fut dat.

Only thing I can think of is they must have a completion date clause in the contract with hefty fines for being late.

Or they're just stoopid.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve applied plenty of shingles in the rain. Other than being miserable, it has no affect on the final quality of the roof. As soon as the sun hits it, the water will evaporate and they will seal.

When we did it in the rain, it was because it was on a finished building, and we were attempting to minimize water intrusion and any subsequent damage. The vapor barrier is only partially water resistant.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
What Sigcrazy said. Not a fun job but not detrimental to the roof install in the long run.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we have laid shingles in the rain as well. Other than being miserable it is not a problem as long as you keep safety considerations in mind.

When we were doing our roofs we ALWAYS wore a safety line. One roof was 12/12, another one had one side steeper than that.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Huh. Good to know.

As long as we don't get a big blow before the Sun comes out.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were many times that we had to water the roof in the summer to keep from walking the edges off the shingles... At least its a little cooler when you have a sprinkler up there... don't miss those days. We also put many roofs on in the dead of winter. Shingles shatter if you try to bend them when the temps are below 20.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One time my brother came to town to visit and my other brother and I roped him into doing a tear off in the rain. We laid a huge tarp over the entire roof and did the work. Everytime brother said anything it was always in the voice of Cool hand Luke: "Getting da nails Bosssss", "shaken the bush bosss" etc, cracked me up...and he went on all day. We banged it out laughing all day long in the wet miserable cold dark under the tarp day. Good times.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post