SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    X this X that....am I the only one who doesn’t care what pistol the army uses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X this X that....am I the only one who doesn’t care what pistol the army uses Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I am indifferent to whether my handgun is or is not the choice of a military or police force. It neither helps nor hurts.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The whole "what pistol the military uses" is as much a red herring as it is with your average cop. The military uses a pistol like a elephant uses a comb. People have a large misconception about military uses of pistols that is romanticized by books and movies. None of which is based upon reality.

Yeah, I want the military to have great stuff. All the stuff that they need to kill bad people. But, a new whiz bang pistol isn't it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when the 1911 was phased out years ago in order to adapt a 9mm, I thought they should issue a 9mm 1911!
If it works, don't fix it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I agree. Less 320 talk and more G19X talk. Big Grin

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the old military pistol fun matches at our local club.

Its interesting to see and shoot handguns form many places and times.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
Meh, I dont really care what pistol the services are using, as long as its a plentiful caliber.

UpTheIrons Sr. once told me to always have a pistol and a rifle in a current government issue caliber. Been going with that ever since!

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Agreed.
There haven't been any really interesting military pistols since the LeMat.

Imagine if R&D kept going down that road.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do you have the time, facilities and money to run tens, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through a gun to determine how well it works and holds up? The government does. It's our money, so we might as well get the benefit of the testing.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Do you have the time, facilities and money to run tens, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds through a gun to determine how well it works and holds up? The government does. It's our money, so we might as well get the benefit of the testing.

This has been done by plenty of non-government organizations. The HK P30 comes to mind. What good is the government doing this if they still pick a gun with issues aka the 320. I would rather do my own analysis. I trust government testing about as much as I trust the government. Their testing of the 320 if you read the report wasn’t very scientific. A few idiots don’t know how to properly avoid engaging the slide release lever causing a bunch of failure to lock back on empty and the government categorizes those as stoppages? If there are no more rounds in the gun then how can it be a stoppage? The other failures are on Sig.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The tests are not above human influence. Sorry.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly don’t trust the federal government in any thing that they say or in any thing that they do. It doesn’t matter the party affiliations, if they are not crooks when they get there, they soon will be.

If politicians of yesteryear did make their decisions for the good of the country, that day and time are long, long gone.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Does not matter. DOD does not train people to be proficient in handguns to have the differences matter.

When I was in there were people with less than 100 rounds through a pistol carrying them into combat.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I think it's kinda cool... not the Army, but the Secret Service used the P-228 and 229 in 357, which I have both of, it's kinda cool having their service pistol.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post