SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just print...I clicked print, I expect you to print...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just print...I clicked print, I expect you to print... Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
For decades I have cursed the software developers who, for some reason, think that I need to consider the various options I may have for printing. Maybe I want to print to a pdf file? Maybe not. Maybe I need to choose a different printer? Well, no, actually I have one and only one printer, which you should be directly able to see in the list of printer drivers on this computer. Maybe I need to print in color, grayscale, black and white? No, the page is clearly already in whatever form it needs to be printed. When I click the print icon, which you so cleverly have created to look like a printer, just print whatever this is. Now!

And, yes, I know all about setting "quick print" on the Windows OS and MS Office. I am not using those pedestrian programs, since I am an Apple user. If anyone knows of any utility to instruct an Apple Mac mini to print, let me know.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
PC LOAD LETTER

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use a keyboard shortcut. Command P. This works on all applications and is a carryover from the Apple II.

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
For decades I have cursed the software developers who, for some reason, think that I need to consider the various options I may have for printing. Maybe I want to print to a pdf file? Maybe not. Maybe I need to choose a different printer? Well, no, actually I have one and only one printer, which you should be directly able to see in the list of printer drivers on this computer. Maybe I need to print in color, grayscale, black and white? No, the page is clearly already in whatever form it needs to be printed. When I click the print icon, which you so cleverly have created to look like a printer, just print whatever this is. Now!

And, yes, I know all about setting "quick print" on the Windows OS and MS Office. I am not using those pedestrian programs, since I am an Apple user. If anyone knows of any utility to instruct an Apple Mac mini to print, let me know.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Command P only works if you have chosen to NOT purchase an HP printer. Because with an HP printer it's about 70/30 that starting a print job will trigger [u]another[/u] cleaning cycle so you get to listen the printer waste ink for nearly a minute before it finally starts printing. Another "joy" with an HP printer is the constant ink level checks and advice that you should purchase more in because you only have about 1/2 cartridge capacity left.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
PC LOAD LETTER

What the fuck does that mean?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that is the error message Sigmonkey often gets when he tries to print. I got it for years. Why the hostility?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I have two printers online, I just go into my computer settings and choose which one I want as default, then if I need to change for any reason when the print app comes up I just switch to tbe other printer for that particular job. Ink cartridges are overly expensive in my opinion which is why I switched to laser.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
PC LOAD LETTER

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I believe that is the error message Sigmonkey often gets when he tries to print. I got it for years. Why the hostility?

C'mon, Fred. Catch up with 1999.

Razz

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Command P only works if you have chosen to NOT purchase an HP printer. Because with an HP printer it's about 70/30 that starting a print job will trigger [u]another[/u] cleaning cycle so you get to listen the printer waste ink for nearly a minute before it finally starts printing.

This right here. It's absurd.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
PC LOAD LETTER

LS1 GTO -- your post conveys a distinctive yet droll awareness of pop culture that is only surpassed by its obscurity. New monitor required.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Command P only works if you have chosen to NOT purchase an HP printer. Because with an HP printer it's about 70/30 that starting a print job will trigger [u]another[/u] cleaning cycle so you get to listen the printer waste ink for nearly a minute before it finally starts printing.

Are y'all using inkjet printers? My HP laser just prints. No cleaning, no gumming up or weird color smears (it is black only, though). Lasers are great.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Brother laser printers work great with Mac. They gave good compatible driver software. They are frequently on sale, re-furbed by Brother, for $100, more or less depending on features you want, free shipping.

You click on "print", they print. No shenanigans.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30547 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Texan:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

Are y'all using inkjet printers? My HP laser just prints. No cleaning, no gumming up or weird color smears (it is black only, though). Lasers are great.

HP Officejet 6700 Premium.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is a joke from an obscure movie.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I print between 10 ans 30 invoices a day. Without fail the printer waits, then decided to "clean" itself when I need to print something. You can't clean yourself BEFORE I need to print??

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

C'mon, Fred. Catch up with 1999.

Razz

-Rob

In your office, it would have been PC LOAD LEGAL Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:

It is a joke from an obscure movie.

obscure? it is on tv all the time.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post