SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Temperatures at 90* and I have to go work in the attic!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temperatures at 90* and I have to go work in the attic! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Have a 10 year old widescreen CRT Samsung TV in the bedroom. It has slowly been getting fuzzy lines from the top but no big deal as it is just a bedroom TV.
Figured it would die soon. Have a flat screen in the shop to replace it. Only rub is I need to mount it from the ceiling and run the cables to the attic. Current setup where the CRT is because it is only 28" won't accommodate the 42".
Went to watch a show tonight and got a nice little pop TV works but the picture and sound is all jacked up.

Going to suck up there in the attic. Guess I'll do it in stages.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got heat exhaustion from installing a ceiling fan for some friend a while back. Had to run wire and put a box in the attic during the hot summer.
Just take care and drink before hand....not alcohol either.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the temperature first. Sunrise is coolest. I have seen people permanently disabled from heat stroke.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6am, baggy clothing from head to toe, hat, glasses mask...2 hrs of rolling in blown insulation and came out soaked and crusted in layer of gray insulation.

Good luck, stay hydrated.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early morning is best

If your up there in the heat of the day get a helper who does not go up and will keep track of you. (Some one to call 911 if you pass out)

It can be dangerous up there

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Depending how long you'll be up there, could you run cables through the house until the weather cooperates? Last time I had work in the attic on a bad day, even with a big fan, the tools were too hot to touch without gloves.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm an electrician. Have to do it all the time. It sucks, you'll survive. Drink plenty of water *before* going up there. Don't stay in attic for more than 20 minutes at a time. Drink water when you get out. Just think you are getting free spa treatment in the sauna.

Last week as I'm working in this guy's attic @125℉ that doesn't know pliers from a monkey wrench. I'm having trouble getting the fish tape into the electrical box for his new ceiling fan. He keeps asking me what I'm doing. I tell him three times I'm trying to get your new wiring into the box without cutting any holes so you don't need to pay for a painter to patch. He continues to make suggestions after demonstrating he has no clue what I'm doing. With my shirt completely soaked from sweat I managed not to tell him to STFU.

Stay hydrated, take breaks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Last week as I'm working in this guy's attic @125℉ that doesn't know pliers from a monkey wrench.

You use a monkey wrench often in electrical work? Smile

120+ this week in Phoenix, 115 out here in Wickenburg. That's on the ground, in the shade.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Last week as I'm working in this guy's attic @125℉ that doesn't know pliers from a monkey wrench.

You use a monkey wrench often in electrical work? Smile

120+ this week in Phoenix, 115 out here in Wickenburg. That's on the ground, in the shade.

Honestly, I am not even sure what a monkey wrench is other that it was the first tool that came to mind. Smile

Damn that's hot. Your attic is probably 150+ then.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt he has an attic.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Two words:

Shower beer.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I had two roof mounted fans installed this spring and the attic is now only 12 degrees over ambient. I check frequently and wish I had spent the paltry sum of $600 12 years ago.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Installed a new bathroom exhaust fan last weekend - from the attic. Had to 120-130 in there. I think I lost 5 lbs up there.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honestly, I am not even sure what a monkey wrench is other that it was the first tool that came to mind. Smile

quote:
Damn that's hot. Your attic is probably 150+ then.

Only after 7:00am.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
How about working at night?

Set up a fan to blow the hot air out and let the cooler air in.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Early morning before any sun 'loading' on the roof makes the most sense.
I never tried this, but I had a guy tell me they usually take an A/C vent connection loose, open it to the attic, turn down the temp and wait about a half an hour first. If I had to do work up there in summer again, I would definitely try that.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post