SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Two Of My Sisters Acting Strangely Non-Responsive About Birth Of My Child: Update Page 2!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Of My Sisters Acting Strangely Non-Responsive About Birth Of My Child: Update Page 2! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have five sisters, one lives in North Jersey a couple hours away, and two are local and we all keep in touch pretty regularly. The other two live in North Carolina and we don’t hear or see them much, maybe 1-2 times a year at holidays etc. I’m not as close with them as the other 3 just because of the distance and the fact that they seem to like living far away from the rest of us in PA/NJ.

We recently had our second child, a boy. The morning he was born I sent out a group text to all my siblings (7 of us) and my parents announcing the birth with a couple pics, etc. Within minutes all of them EXCEPT my two NC-based sisters had responded and said congrats, etc. Even the husband of the one sister I had included on the text had responded. I went back to this text thread 3 weeks later and realized neither of them had ever responded even with a one word reply. Nothing.

I went back and checked FB posts that I KNOW they see and neither of them had replied or “liked” any of them either.

What the hell?

One of them is going through a nasty custody battle with an ex and the other has been trying to have a second child for years without success and I think any news of new children bothers her. However, why would you not be happy for your brother and his wife and say “congrats” or “aww” or something? Instead I got zip, zilch, nada from them. You may have issues and be busy but you can’t take 1.5 seconds to respond to a message about a birth?

I’m pretty upset by this and I’ve told my wife and she agrees it’s very strange.

I will not be including them on any future texts or emails, that’s for damn sure. Screw them. Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I will not be including them on any future texts or emails, that’s for damn sure. Screw them. Mad

They're responsible for their behavior.

You're responsible for yours.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
OMG, nobody LIKED my new SELFIE?!?? TTYL bitches!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

It was a picture of our newborn son and how much he weighed, etc.

They have done the same for all of us for births, graduations, etc.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is pretty messed up, I would be bummed also.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I would be hurt by their non-response and do what you're doing which is just distance myself and family from them.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Maybe cut them some slack and just move on. Both seem to be in the midst of great unhappiness and some people just find it really difficult to celebrate with others (even family) when they're unhappy. Yes, I totally agree that they should have sucked it up and responded.

It seems kind of petty to cut them out of family news for failing to respond how you wanted them to.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Maybe cut them some slack and just move on. Both seem to be in the midst of great unhappiness and some people just find it really difficult to celebrate with others (even family) when they're unhappy.

This makes so much sense, why not call them and see how they are doing. Forget Facebook, email or texting, see how they are doing. Life is too short for a grudge like this. If they do not want to talk to you that's another story.

I still would not cut them off.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

They're responsible for their behavior.

You're responsible for yours.

-Rob

This is kind of what I was thinking. It's kinda of lose/lose to stop including them. For whatever reason, they did not respond (forgot, being petty, crazy life, etc...). If it was being petty, then cutting them out of future comms is playing at their level. If it was something more innocent, then you're the bad guy...or at least could be painted that way. I'd keep including them in the updates. It costs you nothing, and you maintain the high ground. Reaching out is an even better idea.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a snowflake mentality if I've ever heard one! Like Cheese and Marlin said, you don't know your siblings' current issues. If you're going to get butt hurt about some online response or not, pick up the damn phone and talk to them. Life's too short to whine about trivia.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It was a picture of our newborn son and how much he weighed, etc.

They have done the same for all of us for births, graduations, etc.

I know it wasn't a selfie, my comment was sarcastic.

Can someone point me to the proper Book of Faces etiquette manual? When should you like, when should you respond with a personal message?

I mean if people are getting so butthurt about it, obviously there are people who aren't following the manual.

I'm on FB but I can't (1) believe the shit people put on there (2) can't believe the shit people get pissed off about on there and (3) the time people spend pissed off about shit on there.

You could post a picture of a set of quintuplets, winning the lottery, and curing cancer on the same day and I could easly not "LIKE" the post.

Life happens outside of FB. Maybe the sisters have shit going on and haven't logged in in awhile.

Maybe YOU FORGOT to LIKE one of their POSTS or PICTURES and they are giving YOU the silent treatment???

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Life happens outside of FB. Maybe the sisters have shit going on and haven't logged in in awhile.

You need to go back and read my OP. I sent a GROUP TEXT (iMessage actually since we all have iPhones) and I know they saw the message, they just chose to ignore it. The FB stuff was secondary, that was just an observation that they ignored those posts too.

My beef is that out of my parents, my brother, husbands of my 5 sisters I included as well, and the 5 sisters, only those two sisters never responded even days or weeks later to this text message. Doesn't that strike you as really odd? I know for a fact they both are voracious texters and pretty much only communicate this way any more. Confused

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Here's what I've decided. You can't make someone care.

They either do or they don't. It's important enough to them or it's not.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went back and checked FB posts that I KNOW they see and neither of them had replied or “liked” any of them either.

What the hell?

One of them is going through a nasty custody battle with an ex and the other has been trying to have a second child for years without success and I think any news of new children bothers her. However, why would you not be happy for your brother and his wife and say “congrats” or “aww” or something? Instead I got zip, zilch, nada from them. You may have issues and be busy but you can’t take 1.5 seconds to respond to a message about a birth?

I’m pretty upset by this and I’ve told my wife and she agrees it’s very strange.

You already know the possible reasons why they're non-responsive. I think you ought to cut them some slack. It looks likes in the joy reconciliation, your account is overflowing with joy and their accounts are very much in the hole.

I think you have enough joy to share so that you can overlook this slight from them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

.......husbands of my 5 sisters I included as well, and the 5 sisters

Chances are your hunch is correct. However, if my wife and I are included on the same group text and she replies first, I'm less inclined to respond because she's responded for both of us. Smile

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You need to go back and read my OP. I sent a GROUP TEXT (iMessage actually since we all have iPhones) and I know they saw the message, they just chose to ignore it. The FB stuff was secondary, that was just an observation that they ignored those posts too.

My beef is that out of my parents, my brother, husbands of my 5 sisters I included as well, and the 5 sisters, only those two sisters never responded even days or weeks later to this text message. Doesn't that strike you as really odd? I know for a fact they both are voracious texters and pretty much only communicate this way any more. Confused

Oh, I read that too. I am on a couple of group texts. Some of them have been muted because the people on them text too much. I see a big red number occasionally, hit the chain to clear it without reading, then move on.

You mentioned one of the husbands of the sisters responded... why should she have to respond as well? If I was in the kitchen and the wife and I got a group "Hey, we finally had that baby" text, whoever had a phone would respond and then we'd consider the issue 'closed'. But maybe it's different in your family and she's obligated to give you an "awwwww....".

Honestly, if someone doesn't respond to a text in the first day, it ain't gonna be responded to.

I am of the opinion that just because someone emails, calls, texts, or write someone else, the receiver is under no obligation to have to respond. I've been on both ends of it and it doesn't bother me in the least bit. Sure there is some courtesy to the whole situation, but that is just that.

You could be right, maybe they aren't interested in your family or the new baby. Maybe it's their loss, maybe not. Maybe the 1 one with the husband responding cares but considers his response sufficient and maybe the other is going through something personal and doesn't want / need / care to respond.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
It looks likes in the joy reconciliation, your account is overflowing with joy and their accounts are very much in the hole.

I think you have enough joy to share so that you can overlook this slight from them.

Good point. I will choose to not let this bother me any longer and just move on.

quote:
Maybe the 1 one with the husband responding cares but considers his response sufficient

I didn't think of that, you may be right.

posted Hide Post
I know I seem like an asshole, but over the years I've come to accept that life not always rosy or easy for all of us, all of the time.

People forget, people are busy, and yes sometime people blow you and yours off.

I don't hold it against people until it's blatant or vindictive type shit, then you are dead to me.

Maybe it's because being military, most of my friends are scattered to the wind. We text, email, FB - sometimes people respond, sometimes they don't. But when we meet up after months / years, we don't hold it against each other.

Good luck and congrats on the baby... here is an "awwww" for ya.

Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
PA,
i don't know you,but i will throw in a aww and congrats also also.I know you are thrilled,and i am happy for your family.

My youngest daughter,who is 21, had a little baby girl 10 month's ago.

Her name is Elsa,and this little gift from heaven has changed my life.

I was not around my children much when they were young.

2 jobs,a lot of travel,and in a few years they are on the road to growing up.

My point is i enjoy every minute i can with Elsa,as time does go fast.Like a previous post so aptly wrote,you cant make your sisters write or call if they dont want to.

Same thing happened in my family,and i finally have come to the conclusion,for the rest of my life,i am going to enjoy my family,friends,and people who are not high maintenance .

Life is to short,some people can hurt you,because of there issues,and nothing will change them.Enjoy your baby,family,and life with them.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new baby, that's wonderful.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post