SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Refrigerator magnets, ugh.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refrigerator magnets, ugh. Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
There should be a law against these god damn things. If I did not know where the refrigerator was I would probably not recognize it thinking it is just a big box with crap posted all over the front of it and side of it. Then I get looked at like a criminal when stuff falls off it because I simply want to get something from inside the refrigerator and I leave it where it lands. Hell I have no idea where it should go. I have never used the refrigerator in my life as a reminder/keep important documents system. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
our new fridge doesnt have a magnetic front, and only one side is showing. it definitely makes it look nicer, less clutter, and shit isn't constantly falling off of it. I have to say, I'm totally okay with non-magnetic fridges.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
our new fridge doesnt have a magnetic front, and only one side is showing. it definitely makes it look nicer, less clutter, and shit isn't constantly falling off of it. I have to say, I'm totally okay with non-magnetic fridges.

Nice! I will have to make sure our next one is like that.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You sure are a grumpy1.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
To each his own.
I have put off buying a new refrigerator because they will not hold magnets.
Like my pic's
That old coldspot is over thirty year old and I sweat when it fails.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I moved our old fridge out into the shop for extra drink storage and the like. It still has all the magnetic letters that the kids played with when they were little. Pictures of them as little kids are all over it. Even a calendar or two with events that are years out of date.
Sometimes I stop and look at it just because.
The new fridge has all the current stuff stuck to it with magnets. Magnets that are stout enough to stay stuck, I might add.
But then again, I’m the sentimental sort.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
grumpy1, where do you display your magnets from Rock Auto? Every red-blooded American man has a collection of Rock Auto magnets. Right?? LOL.

Mrs.BurtonRW and I only have a couple of things we collect on our travels - lapel pins and refrigerator magnets. They're cheap, easy, and don't take up much space.

We're running out of space on our refrigerator and the only solution I see is to buy a larger one, but I sympathize with 45 Cal's observation about non-magnetic panels on newer units. I've wondered how I could apply a thin layer of something magnetic to them in order to keep the tradition alive. Otherwise, it will have to be magnetic paneling on the cabinet doors, which would probably be much easier anyway and give us more room for our collection.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife has ours covered with the things, including one of my own from Rock Auto. The ones like the Rock Auto one lay flat, but many of hers stick out quit a bit, and I am forever knocking them off when I go into the fridge.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Use the right kind of magnets, and they will not fall or get knocked off, nor will anything they’re holding there. Wink

Some time ago The Wall Street Journal had an article about refrigerators with stainless steel fronts that don’t hold magnets and how that was a significant issue for some people. Shortly thereafter I bought a new (white) Maytag refrigerator and magnets stick to it just fine. It’s such a difficult choice: A smart, contemporary look (assuming we keep the fingerprints polished off), or being able to display our 1/4 MOA groups for everyone to see?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

...Mrs.BurtonRW and I only have a couple of things we collect on our travels - lapel pins and refrigerator magnets. They're cheap, easy, and don't take up much space...

Mrs. Sigmund and I bring home these magnets for the very same reason. Once we're home we also mail some to our daughter and my mom.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
You sure are a grumpy1.

LOL, not usually too much but on this topic I can be.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
What's worse than fridge magnets is bad fridge magnets. Get rid of all the shitty free magnets that can't hold onto there own selves and get on Amazon and buy some good magnets. That will eliminate the frustration of things falling off all the time at least.

Plus, if you get some really strong tiny ones they are a pain in the ass to remove. If you can't get the magnets off the fridge, you can't put anything up with them!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Use the right kind of magnets, and they will not fall or get knocked off, nor will anything they’re holding there. Wink

Nice. I also took apart a couple of old hard drives and the magnets in them are surprisingly strong but I keep them in the basement workshop.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
What's worse than fridge magnets is bad fridge magnets. Get rid of all the shitty free magnets that can't hold onto there own selves and get on Amazon and buy some good magnets. That will eliminate the frustration of things falling off all the time at least.

Plus, if you get some really strong tiny ones they are a pain in the ass to remove. If you can't get the magnets off the fridge, you can't put anything up with them!

Good point and yes are mostly crummy ones.

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:

Nice. I also took apart a couple of old hard drives and the magnets in them are surprisingly strong but I keep them in the basement workshop.

I also use the magnets from old hard drives. As you said VERY strong and won't fall off very easily.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s such a difficult choice: A smart, contemporary look (assuming we keep the fingerprints polished off), or being able to display our 1/4 MOA groups for everyone to see?

LOL. I see what you did there. Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...180073164#1180073164

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another source of "free" rare-earth magnets are old electric toothbrush heads. The Phillips versions have a pair of rare-earth magnets attached to a base that can be cut off the rest of the head. The base makes for a very good handle and what ever they are holding goes nowhere.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
First World problem. If the biggest problem to complain about is refrigerator magnets then life can't be too bad...and I envy those who have such problems.

quote:

Some time ago The Wall Street Journal had an article about refrigerators with stainless steel fronts that don’t hold magnets and how that was a significant issue for some people. Shortly thereafter I bought a new (white) Maytag refrigerator and magnets stick to it just fine. It’s such a difficult choice: A smart, contemporary look (assuming we keep the fingerprints polished off), or being able to display our 1/4 MOA groups for everyone to see?

LOL. Outstanding outlook! Smile

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I've wondered how I could apply a thin layer of something magnetic to them in order to keep the tradition alive.

Maybe use those white, printable magnetic sheets like these: Avery White Magnetic Sheets.

You could cut out bits small enough to be invisible behind your magnets but big enough so the magnet has something to stick to, then secure the cut-out bits from the sheet to the non-magnetic fridge surface with your choice of adhesive (i.e. double-stick tape, 3M 'Command' removable, etc.)

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Back in the old days there was a substance we called "glue". Worked just fine. You could probably obtain some and just use that in place of these magnets you speak of. When we built this house we bought a new refrigerator and it has panels of Stainless steel. The grade or mix of which just doesn't lend itself to being magnetic.

One of the problems the earlier posters are complaining about isn't just that their magnets don't stick, its that they want to put something under the magnet and still have it hold.

I've seen canvas, glossy and other printer paper. Maybe someone should come out with magnetic paper. It would let you put your treasured photos up without a stupid commercial message.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post