SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm beginning to suspect I may have issues with hoarding...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm beginning to suspect I may have issues with hoarding... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/OrlP1i0S9sg

Problem was I missed a major jet hiding behind what I though was only the bowl drain. Got the crud out of that and it starts quickly, runs pretty smoothly.

So now I can spend money on little stuff like tires, battery and seat.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Another awesome project, and some great progress! Sounds like you have a good runner there.

Posts: 8539 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Runs Like a Top! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I bought a seat and a battery yesterday and installed them today.

Battery sits on the right axle housing between the 3 point casting and the fender. TIGHT fit. The original battery bracket was rust flakes and acid powder, so I build a new one. Had to sort of design it on the fly and I'm still not completely happy with it, but it'll do for now. The fender on that side needs to be tweeked too, it's pushed in towards the seat and binding on the side of the battery and the lever for the 3 point hitch.

Fabbed up a new mount and mounted a Tractor Supply generic seat Sits a little high but actually works out for me with my long legs.

With all that done I aired up the bad tire on the front, fired it up and drove around the place a little. Clutch works (tho I haven't really loaded it to see if it slips) brakes work well enough for now. Pedals are pretty stiff, probably a lubrication issue. Expect they'll loosen up some with use.

3x2 Transmission works in all gears and ranges. 3 point hitch goes up and down and stops where you set the lever like it's supposed to. No strange noises, no indications of overheating, no smoke out of the exhaust or indications that it's burning any significant amount of oil.

Little surprised that the rings and clutch weren't stuck after it sat out in the weather for at least 4 years.

Steering is REALLY stiff. Need to jack the weight off the front tires and see if it's in the steering box or linkages or just the Nature of the Beast.

All in all, a decent little tractor. After I get a few more kinks worked out of it, I'll hook it to the plow that came with it and see if it has any balls.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you got this up and running without sinking a ton of money into it.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking good, I’ve been around tractors my entire life and that’s the first Satoh I’ve seen.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Man, I wish I was your neighbor!

Good job.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Took the front wheels over and had the tires peeled off them.

One word: EEEEeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Solid enough to reuse but need LOTS of love. Starting with an extended soak in the Electrolysis Bath. Like probably 2-3 days worth.

Have a needle scaler on order. Once I get down to clean metal I'll paint the inside with some sort of epoxy paint/filler. (Suggestions welcome on that one.)

New tires and tubes awaiting clean rims. Steering still stiff with front end jacked up and wheels off. Kingpins are stiff, but so is the wheel/shaft/box with the drag link unhooked. Probably lack of or dried up lube.

Don't think I'll try taking the steering box apart, but kingpins will come out to be cleaned up and re-lubed along with the wheel bearings.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very cool, remember grease is your friend!

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Glad to see such fast progress getting it running. I have been putzing with a two stroke motorcycle engine and it has taken me several months to find a plugged hole in a carb passageway. Now she runs like a cat with a tail afire!

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Progress has slowed considerably thanks to a major spike in shipping times. Got hooked on Amazon's 2 day Prime shipping which is now a sad joke. 2 weeks is more like it, and it seems like EVERYTHING is going SurePost or outright USPS.

One wheel done, other will be finished today. Had to resort to wire brushes and chipping hammer as the needle scaler didn't show up until yesterday and my patience does not extend that far. Wound up having to use JB Weld to fill the pitting on the bead surface. Squirted a coat of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy on the finished rim.

One kingpin done, the other isn't bad but I'll do it anyway. Waiting on bearings and seals for the front wheels.

Went through the log splitter that came with it, replaced a couple of hoses and put some fresh hydraulic oil in the tank. Test drove it and put it on Craigslist.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Finished 'er up today and put it on Craigslist. No way no how I need (or even want) another tractor. If I can't get what I want for it, I'll keep it. Otherwise it goes down the road.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sold the Satoh and delivered it today.

I had just over $1100 in it, sold it for $2K.

Sold the log splitter that came with it for $750 after putting $100 worth of hoses on it.

I'm pretty pleased, I usually lose my shirt on these deals.