SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Texting while driving - heads down
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texting while driving - heads down Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Was riding on a bus and was observing all the drivers in cars swerving in their lanes.

It's illegal to text and drive so what to people do? They hold the phones down near the shifter and text from there. Not looking at the road at all. I get it -- if you want to text, you can't hold it up near the steering wheel since you may, on very rare occassions, get cited.

I HATE people who text and drive. But if you're going to do it, I'd rather you hold up it near the wheel so that you can at least see the road using peripheral vision.

Whatever the fuck you're doing, it's not worth risking my fucking life.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajensen
posted Hide Post
I also hate people who text and drive. I would love for it to be legal to hit their car with a paint ball. #1, it would wake them up for a few minutes. #2, it would give other drivers a heads up that an idiot is behind the wheel.

Posts: 26 | Location: Retired in SC | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many drivers here text while stopped at stop light. We gotta' beep the horn when light turns green to get their attention.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Many drivers here text while stopped at stop light. We gotta' beep the horn when light turns green to get their attention.

I give em a blast rather than a beep!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajensen:
I also hate people who text and drive. I would love for it to be legal to hit their car with a paint ball drag them out of the car and beat the slime out of them. #1, it would wake them up for a few minutes. #2, it would give other drivers a heads up that an idiot is behind the wheel.

FIFY

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
it could easily be stopped with some GPS motion sensing tech that ties up the keyboard and forces voice commands only.

Of course we wouldn't want to do that because some passenger might be inconvenienced, or a parent that might have to talk to a kid.

Plus there are super duper cool drivers out there who can text, take a crap, do their hair, tune a piano, juggle hand grenades and drive without a problem

Posts: 23239 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

As someone else here said; I haven't seen a light turn green since I got my phone!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
quote:

I give em a blast rather than a beep!!

Same here. Years ago, I would give a polite tap of the horn if the light turned green and the car in front didn’t start moving.

Now I assume they’re checking Facebook or Instagram and lay on the horn.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I'm not in favor of texting while driving (or other distracted driving - or DUI) BUT what about cops that are driving while looking at and/or using the computer mounted in their car, and talking on the radio and looking out the side windows "hunting for the perp" etc.

Is it only certain people who are coordinated enough to be allowed to do all that at the same time ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Texas it is illegal to text and drive. That doesn't stop folks from doin' it. I have 'em pass me driving at least 80 texting to their heart's content weaving in and out of traffic going down a 4 lane highway.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Back in July a female turned the corner too fast, got off the road some and took out my mailbox and knocked my trashcan about 75'. My son slowed the video from one of the outside cameras. Could see that it was a female and right in front of her was her phone. Unfortunately tag was not visible.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO texting while driving should mandate charges for Reckless Driving AND Careless Driving. Basically throw the book at the offender and stack the charges so they lose their license to drive, have to pay fines in excess of 1000 dollars, and face at least a full year in the county jail. Of course all this could be avoided if the Phone manufacturers would disable texting on any phone moving at more than 4 miles per hour. Yeah, even those walking at a rapid pace or out for a morning run wouldn't be able to text.

Because as someone who walks for exercise I am in a position to see what people are actually doing while driving along. My experience has shown that those under 30 will text and drive 70% of the time. Those 40-50 are in the range of 50%, 50-60 is at about 35%, and those over 60 understand the risk and less than 15% text and drive.

I will also note that I now chose the sidewalks I use to insure that I am facing the oncoming traffic just to allow me to get a small moment to react if one of these MORONS decides that texting is more important than actually staying in their lane. Because I saw what happens when a 20 something female climbed a curb and center punched a large Oak tree at about 40 mph. Busted both legs and her hip when the engine basically landed in her lap.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the paintball idea. A lot of the cars would soon put Joseph's many-colored coat to shame.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There is a non-profit organization in Virginia called "Drive Smart VA." It promotes "common sense" approaches to driving, such as wearing a seat belt, not drinking and driving, and making your car a "no texting zone." They even have a license plate for it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I like the paintball idea. A lot of the cars would soon put Joseph's many-colored coat to shame.

Have the state sell paintballs, limit 5 per month. See a stupid, unsafe driver? Shoot. Cars that receive ten hit during the month, get parked right then and there for 30 days.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a college town, it’s sort of pitiful watching all of the handicapped young folks, you know the ones only have the use of one hand due to the permanent attachment of a phone to one hand, hell they even have trouble walking while playing on their phone.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One reason for this is that few people understand the physics involved with a 4000 lb vehicle traveling at 70 mph.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
In Texas it is illegal to text and drive. That doesn't stop folks from doin' it. I have 'em pass me driving at least 80 texting to their heart's content weaving in and out of traffic going down a 4 lane highway.

I wasn’t aware of this. Here I know it is illegal in school zones but have not heard about it being illegal in general. When was this law enacted?

Every time I drive, and I mean every single time I see gross negligence due to this and have to swap lanes, swerve, and generally make whatever move necessary to get away from people doing this. I don’t think it’s all texting, I think social media apps are as big or larger problem than texting.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, a text and drive asshole about killed me. I was on my motorcycle coming down the interstate and a car veered at me. I got a really good look at the inside guardrail, but I didn't go down. When I got caught up to the twatwaffle, she was texting and driving with her knee.
I sold my bike the next week. That was the closest I came to a really bad crash, and it spooked me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2009 Xterra was totaled by a texting kid in Jeep Cherokee. I was stopped at a red light. Witness said he never looked up before hitting me at 40 mph. Claimed his brakes failed. LE encouraged him to man up and admit because they could, or claimed they could, get his phone records.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post