SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Tires on truck, must have been done by idiots
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Tires on truck, must have been done by idiots Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Had 4 new tires put on my truck a couple weeks ago. Yesterday while washing the truck, I noticed that the idiots had installed the balance weights on the damned wheel covers!!!

Now I have to go back and raise some hell.

Oh, not to mention that it took them nearly 2 hours to actually install the tires!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
They skipped balance weights day.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Oh, not to mention that it took them nearly 2 hours to actually install the tires!

Probably very time consuming balancing those wheel covers, putting them back on at a slightly different rotation point, rechecking the balance and then taking them off again to do another rebalancing all over again!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I must say that in my 50 plus years on this earth, I have NEVER heard of or seen that!!

Incredible to say the least.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about that. One of my jobs in college was a tire buster for Montgomery Wards. Never ever saw anyone put the weights on the wheel cover. Problem I see a lot is not relearning the TPMS after rotating or installing new tires.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
That's a new one for me and I thought over all the years, 47 in total that I worked in car dealerships I had probably seen it all.

One of the best ones. 1968 a friend's father had a loaded El Camino circa 1967. It had those hokey Chevrolet option simulated mag wheel covers on it. His dad dropped it off at a local gas station for a set of tires. Yep, you guessed it, tire buster took an impact to not one but two of the fake lug nuts.

That left such nice holes in the wheel cover....

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
One of the best ones. 1968 a friend's father had a loaded El Camino circa 1967. It had those hokey Chevrolet option simulated mag wheel covers on it. His dad dropped it off at a local gas station for a set of tires. Yep, you guessed it, tire buster took an impact to not one but two of the fake lug nuts.

That left such nice holes in the wheel cover....

That made me laugh. Years ago I watched a guy do that same thing.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You won’t find a lot of Phi Beta Kappas working fixing flats at tire shops.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I worked at a tire store for almost four years, and have been around cars and shops quite a bit.

NEVER have I heard of someone putting the weights on the wheel covers.

Holy smokes, Elk, I'd be sure and take pictures of that before going back to the shop. That's just stinking fascinating!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! Kinda makes you wonder about all their other work. Don't have him do your brakes.

Once on my semi truck I had a tire guy mount a 11R22.5 beside a 12R22.5 in a dually config. Maybe it's the same guy.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have worked with, and seen worked with, tires for almost 40 years and cannot conceive of this.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Buy a set of tires here in our only tire shop and what do they set the air pressure at? Whatever is the maximum pressure molded on the sidewall. Picked up my 3/4 Ton Suburban the other day and all four had 85psi in them. Made for a pretty rough ride.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Buy a set of tires here in our only tire shop and what do they set the air pressure at? Whatever is the maximum pressure molded on the sidewall. Picked up my 3/4 Ton Suburban the other day and all four had 85psi in them. Made for a pretty rough ride.

And the lug nuts are tightened to 500 foot pounds.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, you didn't take pics of that? This is comic gold!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
There has GOT to be a good update to this thread....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I started out as a tire buster as well then worked my way up the ladder for over 12 years in the field.
I too have NEVER seen or even heard of anyone doing anything as boneheaded as that and I have seen some SHIT!
You should go back and check to make sure they really meant it or if someone was playing a joke and forgot to tell you.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Way back in the day when I worked on cars for a living, some Chrysler products had left hand thread wheel studs on the right side of the vehicles.

I had at least one car towed in where the owner broke every wheel stud because someone had made them too tight. Razz

Also have seen inexperienced tire jockeys snap one or two with the impact gun before realizing something was not right.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
In all my 30+ years in the tire business I've never heard that before. Gotta wonder how they did that?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This is so unbelievably stupid that it MUST be documented with pictures and shared here and all over the net. I have never ever ever ever heard of such stupidity. It's mind boggling.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've seen weights made for steel wheels, aluminum wheels, big truck wheels, and weights with adhesive for dynamic balancing. I can't imagine any of them staying on wheel covers. How does one mount the wheel and cover on a balancing machine? Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post