SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sister-in-law’s disrespect to her mom on Easter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sister-in-law’s disrespect to her mom on Easter Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I would love to fill this with profanity, but Para bans the "C" word, and that's the only one I want to use.

My sister-in-law is planning to blow off her mom's Easter dinner this sunday because her kids' friends are having a birthday party that Sunday....yes, Easter Sunday.

The family is Muslim, so that Sunday means nothing to them.

Sister in Law is an Atheist so that Sunday means nothing to her.

My mother in law is an uber Catholic and is going to be devastated when she finds out why her grandkids will not be at the Easter egg hunt and Easter dinner.

Liberal lawyer SIL wants to show everyone how enlightened she is by letting her kids go to the Muslim birthday party on Easter Sunday.

My Divorce from this family cannot come soon enough.

* I changed the thread title because it is now more accurate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
There was a time when lapsed Catholics could be some of the funniest people. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Never let the values, nor lack therof, of other people, set the bar for yours.

Be true to the truth.

Semper Fi, Marine.

Oorah...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Geez, there’s no way she can hit the birthday party and make the dinner? Perhaps bypass the EE hunt? How old are these kids? How important the friends? Do they have any idea how hurt grandma will be?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bull the sister knows exactly what she is doing to hurt her mom, the enlightenment is simply the justification and excuse.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell her that Moslems celebrate birthdays by firing machine guns into the air, just like they celebrate weddings.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Seems like your beef is with SIL, not the muslim family.

They don't hold sunday to be sacred, neither do Seventh Day Adventists, to each their own.

As far as your SIL is concerned, she gets to make her own choices right? Yeah, it seems inconsiderate to her own mother, but I thought catholic families knew how to enforce consequences for failing to uphold family ties: “A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Explain to your mom that Christ was crucified on Wednesday and raised on Saturday and that the whole Friday to Sunday thing is a tradition that is unscriptural and in error. She'll be fine.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Where is the Husband?

As an atheist does she disrespect Ramadan?

Do the Muslims know she's an aethiest who doesn't believe in the Prophet?

Sorry but my hope is the kids aren't gone already and indoctrinated into her world, highly unlikely though.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I assume that you realize that Easter is not a holiday for Muslims right? I am not religious, and not Christian so the only consideration I would have about Easter is that no one would show up, not that the birthday party was sacrilegious.

The fact that they are a different religion has nothing to do with this conversation, it's your SIL deciding that a party is more important than her family which is the issue.

Just re-read. Atheist. Run. They are not good people.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Update

Now that I have had an evening to sleep on this, for me it comes down to respect.

My SIL is choosing to let her kids go to this party because:

1. She wants everyone to know how ‘okay’ she is with the birthday party being Easter Sunday.

2. She is an atheist, as is her husband, and sadly it is how they are raising their young children.

3. She (because of the influence of her husband) has increasingly mocked and dismissed her mother’s Catholic faith. This is just one more thing.

4. Her response to my wife’s pressure that she needed to be at Easter was, “I’ve been to every Easter since they were born, she just needs to get over this.”

Respect.

I’m not even mad at the Muslim family, for all I know they invited SIL’s kids because they know they do not consider themselves Christian.

My MIL is an amazingly sweet woman and for the past 20 years I have watched 2 of her 3 children treat her as nothing but a distraction. She deserves better.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mother in law is an uber Catholic and is going to be devastated when she finds out why her grandkids will not be at the Easter egg hunt and Easter dinner.

How does an Easter Egg hunt differ from a birthday party?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
quote:

Some of you guys are being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.

I know that is what happens in these threads when someone wants to come in and rant a bit, it becomes a game to punch holes in the anger and essentially tell the OP why they are wrong to be upset.

Cool.

As I said in my updated post above, it is about respect.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It looks to me as if your sister-in-law is making a choice: semi-stranger vs. family.

At some point in her life she might come to realize how important family is. Or, maybe not.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
quote:

Some of you guys are being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.

I know that is what happens in these threads when someone wants to come in and rant a bit, it becomes a game to punch holes in the anger and essentially tell the OP why they are wrong to be upset.

Cool.

As I said in my updated post above, it is about respect.

You have every right to be annoyed with her and fell bad for MIL. It's not a nice thing to do, in fact it's crappy. She should tell her child that family obligations come before fun stuff. Even if she's atheist, it's still a family gathering. She's teaching her kid a bad lesson, when she's singing Cats in the craddle she'll realize it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

I get it. I understand your frustration. I see it all the time in my wife's side of the family and occasionally in mine.

Do what I do, vote with you wallet. I don't loan family money much anymore. Especially those that are disrespectful.

When they do shit that is disrespectful or stuff that i don't agree with i let them know how i feel about it. It sure has cut down on the invites and phone calls.

So, i understand. My best to your mother in law.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really? The Easter Egg hunt is a family tradition that the mother has done for her children and grandchildren for years. The birthday party is for some friends of the kids they won't even remember in 3 years. Even I, Mr. Lack-o-Social Graces, get it.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Consider that she may be doing your family a favor by not coming.

As much as her absence may upset your MIL it may be less upsetting than if they show up.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile the muslim lady is all the while thinking to herself,
Shit !
there is no way I thought she'd come here if I made the party on easter oh well Frown

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you are divorcing your wife, and cutting ties to these people, why do you care?

As Elsa says, "Let it go . . . "

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post