SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Does Anyone Really Like Android???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Really Like Android??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Never had an iPhone and have had Android since it came out.
Current phone is a BlackBerry Priv and I like it. One downside to this phone is that it doesn't seem to get a cellular signal strong in certain places. My daughter's iPhone will and we have the same carrier.
I have been curious about Apples phones but I like Android so I'll probably just stick with it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yep.

And iOS.

And OSX.

And Windows.

And *nix.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
What was wrong with the Google Nexus and Pixel phones? For me, it was the limited storage space and that microSD cards were the work of climate denyers!!!

Absolutely zero water resistance for either line and the Pixels are hideously expensive.

If you compare a Pixel to an iPhone 7, the value proposition is much better for the latter: Approximately the same performance in every way, plus water resistance, plus much better security record, plus five years of iOS upgrade/update releases, plus economical battery replacement at any local Apple store.

Never mind Apple's privacy policies vs. Google's. With Google/Android you're the product. With Apple you're the customer.

I preferred the Android OS and no mistake, but I do not miss the many, many downsides to the Google/Android ecosystem. Not the least of which was, while I was using Android I was always on tenterhooks, fearing somebody'd finally find a way to exploit one of my devices. Exactly the same feeling I had using MS-Windows at work. Now, though I'm still cautious, I'm no longer in constant fear.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Last android phone I had really fouled up when it upgraded to marshmallow. I switched to an iPhone 6s and have been totally happy with it. Unless something vety vety wild happens I willl go with another iPhone when I upgrade next. Am also saving up to buy a mac tablet and get rid of this android.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tabitha insisted on upgrading her iPhone5 to an Android LG G5.

NOTHING worked right. No matter how much the Verizon "experts" fixed and upgraded it, it just got worse.

She finally took the iPhone back to reactivate it and has been happy since.

Android is not ready for prime time especially when you shell out full price for a phone that won't work and they won't take it back.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, Apple products are less intuitive and vastly less customizable. Also, the fact that iTunes is pretty much required to do anything with the device is an enormous deal breaker for me.

Sure, you may get product software updates longer for Apple products, but that eventually kills your old device, also, but slowing it down.

I am currently typing this on an Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I haven't received an OS upgrade since it went from 5 to 6,but they still put out security and other updates for it.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
To me, Apple products are less intuitive and vastly less customizable. Also, the fact that iTunes is pretty much required to do anything with the device is an enormous deal breaker for me.

Sure, you may get product software updates longer for Apple products, but that eventually kills your old device, also, but slowing it down.

I am currently typing this on an Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I haven't received an OS upgrade since it went from 5 to 6,but they still put out security and other updates for it.

I have a Note 3. Only had a case for the first year. I've dropped it so many times if it was an iPhone I would have went through 50 screens by now. It still runs like a champ.

Pre-ordered the Note 8 yesterday though! Figured it's time for an upgrade. I will miss the removable battery of the Note 3.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I was a long time flip-phone holdout before finally going to an Android last year when my many-year-old flip phone finally died. At first I swore that it was only going to be used as a phone, maybe a text message now and then. But as time went on I started finding it pretty convenient for a lot of things. It's a pain in the ass to type anything on because of the tiny virtual keyboard, and I still prefer my laptop for most internet related stuff, especially anything involving money like banking and shopping. I have come to appreciate the Kindle app during my daily light-rail commute to work.

One thing I've come to really like about it is that it integrates into my new car's infotainment system via bluetooth and gives me completely hands-free calling and texting. That's kind of an important thing from a safety standpoint, never mind that more and more states are adopting much stricter distracted-driving laws. The system in my car (Dodge) only lets you send pre-defined text messages from a very short list if you're using an iPhone, but with an Android you can just speak whatever message you want and it does a pretty good job of translating it to text (punctuation is another matter, it doesn't seem to know about commas and periods). I think the iPhone texting limitation is due to the iPhone than not the car system. But I've never used an iPhone so that's the only comparison point I have for the two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
An example of what I was talking about earlier:

quote:

Spyware backdoor prompts Google to pull 500 apps with >100m downloads

Google killed secret plugin download capability after being alerted by researchers.

At least 500 apps collectively downloaded more than 100 million times from Google's official Play Market contained a secret backdoor that allowed developers to install a range of spyware at any time, researchers said Monday.

The apps contained a software development kit called Igexin, which makes it easier for apps to connect to ad networks and deliver ads that are targeted to the specific interests of end users. Once an app using a malicious version of Igexin was installed on a phone, the developer kit could update the app to include spyware at any time, with no warning. The most serious spyware installed on phones were packages that stole call histories, including the time a call was made, the number that placed the call, and whether the call went through. Other stolen data included GPS locations, lists of nearby Wi-Fi networks, and lists of installed apps.

In a blog post published Monday, researchers from mobile security company Lookout wrote:
quote:

It is becoming increasingly common for innovative malware authors to attempt to evade detection by submitting innocuous apps to trusted app stores, then at a later time, downloading malicious code from a remote server. Igexin is somewhat unique because the app developers themselves are not creating the malicious functionality - nor are they in control or even aware of the malicious payload that may subsequently execute. Instead, the invasive activity initiates from an Igexin-controlled server.
The apps that contain the SDK included:

• Games targeted at teens (one with 50M-100M downloads)
  • Weather apps (one with 1M-5M downloads)
  • Internet radio (500K-1M
  • Photo editors (1M-5M downloads)
  • Educational, health and fitness, travel, emoji, home video camera apps

Full article: Spyware backdoor prompts Google to pull 500 apps with >100m downloads

It isn't just the OS.

And if you have a manufacturer- and carrier-branded device (i.e.: Samsung, HTC, LG, etc., branded by Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.) I would almost bet money it's not up-to-date on current security patches. Few are. Google releases patched versions of Android monthly. Most Android devices never see a one of them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
A lot of people like Android. I used to like Android. But with Motorola going under, Google buying the remains and re-selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo: The only phones that combined reasonable quality, a nearly pure Android experience and affordability went the way of the dinosaurs.

What was wrong with the Google Nexus and Pixel phones? For me, it was the limited storage space and that microSD cards were the work of climate denyers!!!

The Nexus line *created* the category of 'budget flagship'. As in, flagship level hardware for half the price. And unlocked as well, which is seriously a thing now. Like the Nexus 4 I still have.

It had some quirks. A few quirks I can live with.

Now that the carrier stranglehold on everything wireless is much weaker now, they've shifted focus somewhat. The Pixel line doesn't interest me, but that's fine because more companies than just Motorola compete in the budget flagship category now.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I love my Android phone. I currently have a Galaxy S7. I previously had a Galaxy S5, Galaxy S3 and HTC Incredible 1. I have never had any problems with any of my 3 previous phones nor my current phone; I just like to upgrade every 2 years to keep current with the new technology.

I started a new job 5 weeks ago and was given an iPhone 5SE and absolutely hate it. There is no back button, the keyboard seems like it was made for a 5 year old and it just seems counter intuitive to what I've been using for the last 7 years.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried using a Samsung Tablet with Android several years ago. Couldn't get past the tons of bloatware and constant upgrades on the Pad.

Gave it away and went back to MAC. (Mini 3)

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I love my Android phone. I currently have a Galaxy S7. I previously had a Galaxy S5, Galaxy S3 and HTC Incredible 1. I have never had any problems with any of my 3 previous phones nor my current phone; I just like to upgrade every 2 years to keep current with the new technology.

I started a new job 5 weeks ago and was given an iPhone 5SE and absolutely hate it. There is no back button, the keyboard seems like it was made for a 5 year old and it just seems counter intuitive to what I've been using for the last 7 years.

There is no such thing as an iPhone 5SE. There is an iPhone 5, 5S, or SE. Do you have an iPhone 5S or an iPhone SE? They are two generations apart on the inside, but share a common chassis.

The reason I bring it up is because iOS11 is on the horizon, and will be more Android like in some usability respects. The 5S is the lowest spec to run it, which means you probably shouldn't, while the iPhone SE should be fine on iOS11.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I notice a lot of the replies are speaking to Android phones vs. iPhones.

I'm not. I'm working with an admittedly old tablet, the Nexus 7 (2012), which is a wi-fi only device.

I managed to get it upgraded to the latest Android, 7.1.2 (Nougat), but all is still not kosher: I can't see any of my apps or data that were supposedly restored. Heck, I even went to the Google app store and downloaded a couple of apps, and I can't even see them!

This is what I mean about hating Android: even after going through all the gyrations and frequently contradictory instructions, I still don't have the tablet I was hoping to have. If all I needed were the apps that were installed with the OS, okay. But a browser, and email client, a media player and a camera/photo store are about it.

I'll hack away at it a bit more. But I gave in and ordered a (rather cheap) "phablet" that can double as a phone if I choose to go that route in the future. It's running Android 7.0 (Nougat), has 16Gb storage and cost a whopping $69.99.

It's the geek in me that makes do these things...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
First couple smartphones were android...always had issues. I hear things have gotten better with android though.

Switched to iPhone and haven't looked back.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just like an Android phone the size of an Apple SE/5. Android phones are all now stupid big. I'm still using a 4 year old Droid Mini.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I like android for my phone much better than the iPhone 7 I have now..... the iPhone when texting has no back arrow, and it stays wherever you were before.....click on phone contacts and you have to delete the previous search letters and start fresh. Etc.

Maybe the 7 is different...I have a 6, and if I rotate the phone horizontal, there is an expanded keyboard with back and forward arrows.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

There is no such thing as an iPhone 5SE. There is an iPhone 5, 5S, or SE. Do you have an iPhone 5S or an iPhone SE? They are two generations apart on the inside, but share a common chassis.

The reason I bring it up is because iOS11 is on the horizon, and will be more Android like in some usability respects. The 5S is the lowest spec to run it, which means you probably shouldn't, while the iPhone SE should be fine on iOS11.

Well it must be an SE than, because I know it says SE on the back. Either way I still don't like it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post