SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    All this grand technology. Yet I can’t plug the old phone directly to the new phone and be up and running.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All this grand technology. Yet I can’t plug the old phone directly to the new phone and be up and running. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Bought a new iPhone. Why on God’s green earth can I just not plug the old phone to the new phone click copy and my new phone be setup just like the old one.

I never understood this.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Must have clouds

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you plug an Apple mobile product into anything and copy /paste things to it without having to involve iTunes?

I've not owned a newer apple product, but in the past, the only way to add or remove stuff from it other than via cloud or internet involved iTunes.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely not an expert, but the last time I upgraded from a 4 to a 6, we created a cloud account that I pay $0.99/month to back up my 4.

Then the phone store guy activated my new 6, synced with the Cloud, and all was done.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve used iTunes every time I’ve bought a new iPhone and never had a problem syncing devices.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

I'm definitely not an expert, but the last time I upgraded from a 4 to a 6, we created a cloud account that I pay $0.99/month to back up my 4.

Then the phone store guy activated my new 6, synced with the Cloud, and all was done.
iTunes is free.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It’s just an added step.
Have to wait for the old phone to create a backup then wait for the new dolphins to be created and have to retype all the passwords.
Would be nice plug old phone to new phone push button. After transfer new phone functions just like old.

————————————————

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

iTunes is free.

Thanks for the guidance. I just had too many issues with iTunes, and add to the fact, I rarely synced with it because of those issues.

The cloud back up is automatic, I view it as "cheap insurance" for $12/year, and its idiot proof a non-techie like me Smile

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Because I've never seen a cis-gender lightning cable.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Not sure what generation to what generation or what cell provider you have (or if that matters), but I just upgraded from a 7 to an 8 and when I started my new phone I got a message to set it next to my old one. Then I think I had to scan a QR code on my old phone with the new one, and they did most of the rest. It was really easy.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
When I went from Samsung Galaxy S4Active to Note4, it used NFC transfer to copy over.
When the charging port died on the Note, I upgraded to my current S9+
Only transfer options are cord tfr (not an option due to dead port or on the Note) or cloud. No more NFC option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The Pixel phones are great for this.

Cable or cloud, both will copy all your apps, files, and settings on over.

You only have to repunch in your passwords for the apps.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I use the 99 cent a month service. My new phones just about set themselves up.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
While it is correct that you might best use iTunes to backup/restore your iPhone- there is NO requirement nor has there ever been that you have to backup to the cloud. I generally avoid cloud backups for most devices as we travel places where there is no internet/wifi/cellular reception fairly frequently. (If you like/prefer the cloud, by all means use it, it does have some advantages)-

You should backup your phone regularly in any case and the most reliable (in my opinion) is to backup locally where you have it in your possession- to your computer/laptop.
If you have done this restoring your existing iPhone or transferring to a new iPhone takes very little time at all.
Here's how to do it: Start iTunes on Mac or PC > Connect iPhone > Click iPhone icon on the left top to open Summary page > Choose "This Computer" option in Backups section > Click "Back Up Now" to begin the backup process. If you have a new phone just select "Restore Backup".

This will create a backup of your iPhone in iTunes on your computer. If disaster happens to your device, you will be able to restore your iPhone quickly from it and easily upgrade to a new phone.

NO CLOUD involvement is necessary if you don’t want it. And it is possible to use third-party apps instead of iTunes if you want.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Finally got this up and running.
I tried hooking the old iPhone up to iTunes but it would not recognize the phone. Kept thinking it was a new phone and would not let me create a backup.
I upgraded our iCloud to the shared 200gb for $3 a month. Backed up the phone to the cloud. Took forever.
Tried to setup the phone and it kept getting stuck. Had to take it back to the store and they were finally able to get it setup.
I thought these new XRs were supposed to have super battery life. No different than the 2 year old 8 it replaced.

————————————————

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Not sure what generation to what generation or what cell provider you have (or if that matters), but I just upgraded from a 7 to an 8 and when I started my new phone I got a message to set it next to my old one. Then I think I had to scan a QR code on my old phone with the new one, and they did most of the rest. It was really easy.

Did this last month on a 7 to X-RAY upgrade.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When I bought my new iPhone X at the apple store they offered to transfer and set it up for me. I declined and did it myself in the comfort of my recliner via my iTunes backup on my laptop... Can't imagine it being much easier.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The iCloud restore is now as close to that as its ever been. Last time I changed phones I was amazed at how nearly identical all apps and settings were after a few minutes to download to new.

What are you doing for a backup anyway??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post