SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
It smells here because of the farm down the road. Can't the town close down the farm? We didn't spend all that money on a big house in the country to smell manure!

I do have a complaint about that. When I left my hometown, it was apples and chickens. Now it's vineyards and cattle farms. The smells of rotting grapes and cow farts is so much worse than what I was used to. I know I'll get used to it, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try chicken manure.

It's not too bad once plowed in, but it's pretty ripe beforehand. If you have water and chicken manure, though, you can grow cotton on concrete.

Just got back from lower Alabama and the folks. Spring work has started.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about. I loved small town life in the rural Midwest having grown up in a crime ridden metro area. I retired LEO friend of mine has 200 acres in the country and said it was five years before he heard a siren. He does not miss city life one bit. His driveway winds through a forest for about a half mile before you see the house. Has a fantastic gun range with berms he built himself.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"No, I don't think you can sue the state or county because a coyote ate your cat".

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One thing the Yoop has going for it: Our winters keep out the riffraff.

The AZ desert does a good job of that, too.

Last time I was in Tucson, it didn't seem to be the case. Lights all the way up to Phoenix, as far as the eye can see.

Well, we do have to endure the "winter visitors", but they are now scattering. On my last trip to town (Friday) I saw no fewer than 6 motor homes with toads, and also fifth wheels, on the move north. 90 degrees is too hot for them. Smile A reliable indicator is when the vultures return to Yarnell, it is a sign for the snowbirds to leave.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
What's a "dirt tank"?

A hole in the ground that fills up with water and waters the cattle.

Thank you.

Where I grew up we called them ponds. I moved to Texas in the late nineties to attend college. A friend was telling me about fishing the tanks at his grandpa's place. Now i had it in my mind's eye this guy standing at a metal tank fishing. Sometime later he is talking about fishing with his grandfather, and I decided I needed some clarification. That day I learned a tank in Texas ain't nothing but a pond.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I thought of metal devices too. I'm more familiar with ponds than dirt tanks.
I swear, I think I learn something here at SF every week.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henryaz: I spent some time in Congress. Bustling metropolis!
A couple of years ago, some Floridians bought land on the Sands Plains south of Marquette. They brought a travel trailer to live in while they built a house. A Florida travel trailer. Access to the property was by unplowed two track. When January rolled around, one of the Sunshine Staters made it out to the traveled road and said they needed help, as they had not been able to get out to get food and propane.
We rescued them with a Sno-Cat.
When we asked them if they had researched conditions before they came up, they said "we know that it snowed a little".
Last time I went by, the trailer was still there. Abandoned.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
On the plus side, you occasionally can pick up s nice place in the sticks for dirt cheap once these amateurs realize they can't hack it.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Honestly, I thought of metal devices too. I'm more familiar with ponds than dirt tanks.
I swear, I think I learn something here at SF every week.
The origin is Spanish, from tanque. It's a regional term and I didn't think of that.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
What!? No giga giga fiber optic internet access?
What do you mean "the power is out?!"
Ugh! All these bugs!
It's just too dark out here!
A DIRT road? But my Escapade will get filthy!
Ahhh!!! A snake/skunk/raccoon/opossum/Chupacabra!
Where's the Starbucks?

And the list goes on.

Why don't these folks just stay where they are?
And definitely leave their politics back there. Wherever "there" happens to be...

Honestly!

We have a home in town and another home with acreage in the country, on a dirt road that seldom gets maintenance, power goes out on occasion, (almost no bugs thankfully), plenty of firewood, dark at night, and no internet. If it weren't for the wife I'd have just the one in the country. In fact I'm spending more and more of my time there with or without her.

Thankfully no townies have moved near by that I'm aware of.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In rural TN, the "dirt tanks" were called "cow ponds". Me & the neighbor kid would fish 'em when we didn't have enough time to go down to the lake.

Ah, memories.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:...A couple of years ago, some Floridians ... they said "we know that it snowed a little"..

Could not have been True Floridians, to us any snow would be a blizzard!! I would be running my Snow cat in a flurries!

FYI, my first snow I saw was in Texas when I was 26, it had just stopped snowing when I got to this one stop and I thought it was white sand!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with you there OP.
I bought a property out in the country 30 years ago. I did put up a pole barn. I have been shooting out there since then. About 10 years ago someone bought right next to me(was farm ground). The guy builds a house and then sells it. New guy moves in and complains about me shooting there.(8miles from city). He said the friends he invites over for cookouts do not come because they are afraid of guns. I told him he should live in town and it is not my fault his friends are paranoid and have senseless fears.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Next time that Chupacabra shows up, snap a pic or two, if it's no trouble.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Kalifornians invading. I have to write a check for extra $600 this month due to these fuckers invading. GTFO, go back to Kalifornia. You move next to me with your Kalifornia bullshit I'll make you sorry you ever made that decision. The traffic here is completely out of hand now. Backups and bumper to bumper, on the weekend. Higher cost for everything, taxes going way up. I'm sick of it, go back to Kalifornia.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
It smells here because of the farm down the road. Can't the town close down the farm? We didn't spend all that money on a big house in the country to smell manure!

I do have a complaint about that. When I left my hometown, it was apples and chickens. Now it's vineyards and cattle farms. The smells of rotting grapes and cow farts is so much worse than what I was used to. I know I'll get used to it, though.

When my brother built his house and small farm 30 years ago we had to cut a road into the woods to clear the land. There wasn't a house within a mile of him. Now the woods are gone and the MicMansions surround him. He has had people stop in and ask when he will get rid of the animals so they don't have to smell the manure. Apparently they can't read the no trespassing signs.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, nothing like sitting out on the deck in the summer and smelling the farmer's "dairy air."

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Henryaz: I spent some time in Congress.

Why in the world? Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deputy 617
posted Hide Post
If my health were better, I would move out of town. I just can't physically maintain the kind of land I'd love to live on. Still, I've spent most of my adult life as a Deputy Sheriff, so I spend my time in the country. The city folks will never "get it" about life in the sticks. People move out to the middle of nowhere to get away from the amenities and interference that are a given when you live in town.

I get great pleasure telling newly arrived city folks that I WILL NOT ask their neighbors to stop shooting, as there is no law restricting their ability to do so, nor curfew when they can do so just as long as they have a safe back stop as determined by myself. It really pisses them off, and I grin from ear to ear as a result.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!

Posts: 369 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post