SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Henryaz:
I used to visit a service buddy who lived in Glendale. We would go to Congress to look for old mines in the area.
Enjoyed it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
I get great pleasure telling newly arrived city folks that I WILL NOT ask their neighbors to stop shooting
Do you at least ask them to stop shooting at the newly arrived city folks? Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy 617:
If my health were better, I would move out of town. I just can't physically maintain the kind of land I'd love to live on. Still, I've spent most of my adult life as a Deputy Sheriff, so I spend my time in the country. The city folks will never "get it" about life in the sticks. People move out to the middle of nowhere to get away from the amenities and interference that are a given when you live in town.

I get great pleasure telling newly arrived city folks that I WILL NOT ask their neighbors to stop shooting, as there is no law restricting their ability to do so, nor curfew when they can do so just as long as they have a safe back stop as determined by myself. It really pisses them off, and I grin from ear to ear as a result.

Don't even get me started on shooting on the farm. 3 years ago we were all handcuffed while shooting by a SWAT team. Seems a new neighbor called in and reported automatic gunfire in the woods. Once the local Police realized that we had a safe burm and were shooting at targets they apologized and hung out for a while. They still get calls, but now knock on the door of the house and end up having coffee with us.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get great pleasure telling newly arrived city folks that I WILL NOT ask their neighbors to stop shooting, as there is no law restricting their ability to do so, nor curfew when they can do so just as long as they have a safe back stop as determined by myself. It really pisses them off, and I grin from ear to ear as a result.

Don't you love it?

"They killed my dog. He just killed a couple of their chickens"

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
What's a "dirt tank"?

A hole in the ground that fills up with water and waters the cattle.

Thank you.

Where I grew up we called them ponds. I moved to Texas in the late nineties to attend college. A friend was telling me about fishing the tanks at his grandpa's place. Now i had it in my mind's eye this guy standing at a metal tank fishing. Sometime later he is talking about fishing with his grandfather, and I decided I needed some clarification. That day I learned a tank in Texas ain't nothing but a pond.

That kinda depends on which part of Texas you're talking about. West of DFW, most folks call them tanks. In East Texas, you will mostly hear the word pond.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REdwin89:
Ahhhh, nothing like sitting out on the deck in the summer and smelling the farmer's "dairy air."

In Nebraska, that's the smell of money!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Cow bellering in the distance, roosters crowing(mine and neighbors), horse manure alongside the road by the mailbox(neighbors road up to the forest trail this weekend), hound dog and tractor in the distance, squirrels rustling leaves and lots of birds singing. These are the sounds around me and wouldn't have it any other way. Oh, and down the hill and across the branch the neighbor just had 3-4 loads of chicken manure dumped on his garden spot. Nothing like fresh country air! Gun shots are so common they are hardly worth mentioning. Smile

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
What!? No giga giga fiber optic internet access?
What do you mean "the power is out?!"
Ugh! All these bugs!
It's just too dark out here!
A DIRT road? But my Escapade will get filthy!
Ahhh!!! A snake/skunk/raccoon/opossum/Chupacabra!
Where's the Starbucks?

And the list goes on.

Why don't these folks just stay where they are?
And definitely leave their politics back there. Wherever "there" happens to be...

Did you live where you do now back when Red River Army Depot was exploding ordnance all the time? Smile I can recall lawsuits over broken window glass from quite a few on that side of town. Back in the 1960's, I worked one summer at Lone Star AAP.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post