SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me again why you moved out here? (You're welcome, PHPaul) Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
What!? No giga giga fiber optic internet access?
What do you mean "the power is out?!"
Ugh! All these bugs!
It's just too dark out here!
A DIRT road? But my Escapade will get filthy!
Ahhh!!! A snake/skunk/raccoon/opossum/Chupacabra!
Where's the Starbucks?

And the list goes on.

Why don't these folks just stay where they are?
And definitely leave their politics back there. Wherever "there" happens to be...

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing the Yoop has going for it: Our winters keep out the riffraff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Hah! Big Grin

"I have to drive 20 miles to get to a McDonalds!"

"It takes forever for the cops or an ambulance to get here!"

"These dirt roads are so dusty!"

"The snow plow didn't go by until nearly 8 o'clock!"

"The neighbors are so trashy." (Dirty pickup parked in the yard, lobster traps needing repair stacked behind the garage)

Locally: "People are so unfriendly." No, we just mind our own business, and wish you'd do the same. If you need help, just ask, most of us will drop whatever we're doing and lend a hand.

My favorite is folks that move next to an operating farm and then bitch about the smells and/or the noise.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
It's just too dark out here!

This- I never realized all the light pollution until I moved out to the sticks in Sequim. They don't have street lights and you could see the glow of Seattle 40 miles away.

And Mud lots of mud- we don't have mud on the eastside.

I would of stayed but I've grown accustomed to eating and there weren't any jobs out there.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I already know country living isn't for me. I'm more king of the wild front lawn than the wild frontier. Big Grin I like being near shopping and restaurants and having 60 mbps cable/fiber-optic internet.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Back in the '90s, a flood of people retired to south Texas. They did the usual things; overbuild for the area and overestimate their will and funds to maintain hobby estates. Always, there was a dirt tank near the house that they never conceived would be a refuge for water moccasins and a maternity ward for mosquitos. So, they end up living inside to escape pests and a sauna-like climate.

Most moved back, I think. Stuff like Enron stock no longer funding their life and home. Health problems greater than small-town hospitals can handle. Yeah, and the lack of amenities. Plus, the State took away their prized Farm Truck license plates from their Lexus CUVs. Oh, and cattle shitting in the driveway.

But yeah, city people think Green Acres was a comedy show, but later realize it was a documentary.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shortly after moving out to the country (minimum parcel size 20 acres), an ill-suited neighbor moved in. She couldn't understand why nobody showed up to the "neighborhood parties" she organized. WTF?? We moved out here to get AWAY from people like you and your gossipy bullshit. She was also frustrated when the county ditch mowing or plowing crews didn't show proper respect for her decorative mailbox planter. I think they lasted about a year before the house was for sale. Big Grin

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I already know country living isn't for me. I'm more king of the wild front lawn than the wild frontier. Big Grin I like being near shopping and restaurants and having 60 mbps cable/fiber-optic internet.

I have 5 brothers and we were all raised on a farm in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Doesn't get much more country than that.

3 of 'em are confirmed city boys. Brother Dave got out of the Air Force and swore he was never going to live more than 5 minutes from a 7-11 again. Big Grin

The other two boys (my oldest and youngest brothers) and I are just the opposite. Want nothing whatever to do with any town large enough to have more than two stoplights.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

The AZ desert does a good job of that, too.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
a dirt tank near the house

Town dweller here (though I'd like to be a little bit further out). What's a "dirt tank"?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best days are when i dont see a soul, it becomes epic level when i dont have to talk to folks.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of city dwellers buy some acreage a couple of miles from us.

Lasted two years.

"Is the county going to plow the road?"
"Probably not"
"How did yours get cleared?"
"I did it"

"Our electric is out, is yours?"
"Nope, we have a generator"

"Where did you get your firewood?"
"Trees"

He shot a deer, let it lay for about 24 hours then called for help to dress it.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Town dweller here (though I'd like to be a little bit further out). What's a "dirt tank"?

A hole in the ground that fills up with water and waters the cattle.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

The AZ desert does a good job of that, too.

Last time I was in Tucson, it didn't seem to be the case. Lights all the way up to Phoenix, as far as the eye can see.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
We had a couple of city dwellers buy some acreage a couple of miles from us.

Lasted two years.

"Is the county going to plow the road?"
"Probably not"
"How did yours get cleared?"
"I did it"

"Our electric is out, is yours?"
"Nope, we have a generator"

"Trees"

He shot a deer, let it lay for about 24 hours then called for help to dress it.

Big Grin

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yes, it amazes me the amount of research folks DONT do before making a major life decision like that....

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
"Trees"

I love it! Big Grin

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It smells here because of the farm down the road. Can't the town close down the farm? We didn't spend all that money on a big house in the country to smell manure!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
What's a "dirt tank"?

A hole in the ground that fills up with water and waters the cattle.

Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You're not country unless you can't get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post